eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:31 AM

http://www.canada.co...CF-ED5640CA41BA

:blink:

"Head hockey"?? Ya-huh...

First of all, Newfoundland is on the East coast, Vancouver is on the west coast… How can they possibly be linked together?? :p Somebody buy these people a map, it’s a looooong way from the East coast to the West. ;) Secondly, how is seal hunting and the Olympics seven years from now possibly related to each other??

The Seal hunt is not an all out slaughter like they think either, only a certain amount of seals can be taken and its more of a population control more than anything. It’s legal to hunt them and they’re not an endangered species.

What do you guys think?

mystic
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:33 AM

I think seal hunting sucks.  I've seen films of it and they club them to death.  It's disgusting.  :(
Posted Image

#3 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:40 AM

^ I was under the impression that practices such as clubbing would be prohibited in the new hunts, Lil.  (IIRC, seal hunts were suspended for quite some time because of such practices, which as you said, are horrific and disgusting)

However, what no one seems to be saying, but that the numbers clearly show - the ecosystem NEEDS this hunt.  Badly.

There are simply not enough of the natural predators to keep an already horribly bloated population in check.

It's either we allow what had best be carefully regulated hunts, or we allow the seals to over populate, decimate what little remains of atlantic fish stocks (remember the cod?  Yeah, we haven't been fishing them for 5+ years, and they still haven't rebounded) and then die of mass disease and starvation.

I'd personally much rather see a humane hunt than the overpopulation scenario.

(and yes, I mentioned the fish stocks for a reason - scientific explorations have suggested that the reason the fish populations haven't rebounded is because of the seals.)

In short - we humans have bunged up this planet more than we let on.  Unfortunately, there are groups hell bent on preventing us from trying to fix some of our mistakes.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

The seal hunt is neccasary. I hope the olympics isn't hurt by this...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:58 AM

^ Thankfully, Rov, I have my doubts the US (or any country) is going to boycott the olympics and miss out on their shot at glory, just because an environmental group has a beef with the seal hunt.

But we'll see.  PR people on both sides are anything but dumb when it comes to things like this ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#6 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:32 AM

Simply an extension of the don’t hunt Bambi complex?

They expect the US to boycott the Olympics over a Seal hunt?  Carter has drawn enough fire over the years about his boycotting because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.  Somehow I doubt killing off some Seals who need a little population control.  The very fact that this group has some ties to Greenpeace makes me question the methods and honesty level of this group.  I’d be curious to know a little more about them and see if they are a legitimate group like the Sierra Club. HSUS, or Audubon Society.  The flipside is if they border on or happen to be eco-terrorists who should be treated no better than any other terrorists.      

That said I’m sure the majority of the US government will treat this group nicely to not so nice (if they are legitimate) when they are in their office and then have a good chuckle about their proposal the second they leave.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#7 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Still the property of the PPD

• Islander
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:46 AM

Well, neither Yahoo news nor Reuters knows anything about this yet, and my H/PC gets a browser error when I try to hit the above link.  So I'll sound off on something I haven't read yet ( :D .)

It reminds me of Niven, Pournelle and Barnes' (think it was Barnes) take in Fallen Angels about environmentalism.  Most of us (I think) know today that making singular changes in an ecosystem causes ripples that are extremely difficult to predict.  That doesn't mean that change shouldn't be advocated for, but it's almost like the more popular is and the more it makes sense, the worse the idea.
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#8 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:49 AM

Edited for copyright reasons.

mystic

Edited by mystic, 06 July 2003 - 12:39 PM.

If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#9 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 10:09 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 4 2003, 03:29 PM, said:

I think seal hunting sucks.  I've seen films of it and they club them to death.  It's disgusting.  :(
I recall reading an article somewhere very recently about the new regulations on seal hunting and I can't for the life of me find it . . . But it was said that the new laws absolutely prohibit the brutal clubbing of seals and that much less inhumane methods for hunting them had already been developed.

So clubbing baby seals to death is still illegal and not an issue, IIRC.

-Nick

#10 mack12345

mack12345
  • Islander
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 10:21 AM

Well said Jid. No one will show the pictures of the seals that are starving to
death when the food chain finally breaks down. I also think the seal clubbings
were brutal and horrific and I fervantly hope they have stopped, however as you
said, something has to be done to control the population explosion and keep the
chain from breaking down. It's kind of like gator problem in the south. Man hunted
them almost to extinction and now they've protected them to the point to where you
can't  hardly go down a river without finding a mess of them and what's a gators natural
enemy? They finally allowed very limited hunting of them but sooner or later there's going to
be a big problem here too. Man has to take steps to correct  his own excesses.

#11 Kura

Kura

Catalyst of Irresistable Urges

• Islander
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 10:42 AM

Ottawa says seal protesters need better facts
Last Updated Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:40:08
OTTAWA - An animal rights group in the United States wants people to boycott Canada until the East Coast seal hunt is abolished. Ottawa says the group needs to get its facts straight.

In a full-page ad appearing in Monday's New York Times, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) accuses the federal government of subsidizing a barbaric hunt.

"We are determined to convince the Canadian government not to allow the ice to run red with the blood of seal pups every November to May," the group's Web site says.

The federal government has increased the seal hunt quota to allow hunters to kill nearly a million harp seals during a three-year period.

The group is discouraging tourism in Canada, and asking supporters to write to Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and the Tourism Ministry to let them know they won't be coming.

And they are raising money for ad campaigns.

"We're trying to raise money until this cruelty ends," said John Grandy, senior vice-president for wildlife and habitat protection with the HSUS.

Steve Outhouse, with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, says the government regulates the hunt to make sure it is carried out as humanely as possible.

He said that despite the HSUS's depiction of sealers clubbing baby seals and skinning some of them alive, most sealers use rifles to kill the seals.

He also took issue with the HSUS's suggestion that the seal quota was increased in response to pressure from fishermen who blame seals for the depleted cod stocks.

The harp seal population, he said, has grown since the early 1970s from 1.8 million to about 5.2 million in 2002.

"This is clearly a species that is doing well, it's thriving, it's growing in numbers," he said. "With an international demand, the market forces are calling for more seal products to be on the market."

He said the government is regulating how those products reach the market, but denied federal money is subsidizing the hunt.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Here's another article from the CBC on the same thing.

As a Newfoundlander I get really sick & tired of people who know nothing about the hunt saying it's awful & barbaric & should be stopped! :sarcasm:  If they truly cared about the envivroment they could at least get their facts straight! I mean come on "Head Hockey" :barf: :eek:  :blink:  That does not exist :angry:& the seals are shot not clubbed!  :sarcasm:  Seals are not an endangered or even threatened species! There are are millions of them!

These people seem to just be in it to scam as much money out of naive people (who do really care) as possible. :sarcasm:

Where were they when the Cod fishery was closed over ten years ago & still has not recovered. Cod have now been listed as a threatened species. I guess Cod fish aren't cute enough for their campaigns. :sarcasm:

(Sorry for the rant everybody :blush: )
I have this theory that Chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but dare I take the chance?
Dogs have Masters - Cats have Staff!

#12 mack12345

mack12345
  • Islander
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

Kura, I'm curious. These animals are processed somehow and not wasted I hope?
Other than the skins I don't know how they can be used.

#13 Kura

Kura

Catalyst of Irresistable Urges

• Islander
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:33 PM

mack12345, on Jul 4 2003, 10:06 PM, said:

Kura, I'm curious. These animals are processed somehow and not wasted I hope?
Other than the skins I don't know how they can be used.
Yes, they are fully utilized.

The entire seal is used, not just the pelt. They even use the organs & the carcass (what's left after the meat is properly butchered & sold) for animal food. Nothing is wasted.

Seal meat is considered a delicacy here & in many Asian & European countries. Although I personally don't like it. It has a strong gamey taste.

Also it's not just the pelt that's valuable. Many Asian countries pay a lot a money for certain "parts" of the seal they consider to be aphrodisiacs. Well, at least, not even "those parts" ;)  get wasted.

Most don't realize we've always used the whole seal.  Not just the pelts.

Also the seal has been hunted here for several hundred years (much longer if you include the First Nations people hunts). This is not a "new" hunt but a very old one that is now done as humanely as possible.
I have this theory that Chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but dare I take the chance?
Dogs have Masters - Cats have Staff!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Animal Activists, Winter Olympics, 2010, Olympics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users