Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tropical Storm Gustav On Track to Louisiana?

Natural Disaster Tropical Storm Gustav 2008

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Sinister Dexter

Sinister Dexter

You win this time, Clerks...

• Islander
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

BBC News tracks Gustav.
Rommie: I just want a day where I can build missiles and tweak fire control in peace
Beka: We need to find you a hobby
Rommie: That IS my hobby

Daniel: She's Hathor, the goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music
Jack: Sex, drugs and rock & roll?

Moist Von Lipvig: Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius
Lord Vetinari: Capital! Welcome to government service!

Mary Raven: ....your house smells weird
Dr Vukovic: It smells of SCIENCE!

Wooster: Why is it, do you think, Jeeves, that the thought of the "little thing" my Aunt Dahlia wants me to do for her fills me with a nameless foreboding?
Jeeves: Experience, sir?

#42 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

i cant believe how city-crazy the tv news are; everything this morning was NewOrleans, NewO , NewO, dodged, missed, canal, levees, and Mayor Nagin on the tv interview; nothing on Houma and LakeCharles; didnt see their mayors on; didnt see the rain-drenched Louisiana; you know Louisiana is more than just NewO dont we all know?
(and more surprising; didnt see any oil or gas platforms on the tv news this am.) they'r not any story either?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#43 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

This is amusing:

http://news.yahoo.co...ghLLqvuKHWs0NUE

The city's improved levee system helped avert a disaster like Hurricane Katrina, which flooded most of the city, and officials got an assist from a disorganized and weakened Gustav, which came ashore about 72 miles southwest of the city Monday morning. Eight deaths were attributed to the storm in the U.S. after it killed at least 94 people across the Caribbean.

What saved New Orleans is that this landed as a Cat. 2 instead of a Cat. 5.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#44 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Weeeeeeelll . . . there's that, but it's also because the levees held.  It wasn't the stronger winds that wrecked New Orleans, it was the storm surge and the levee breaches that both let the water in and slowed it's natural flowing out when the surge receeded.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disaster, Tropical Storm Gustav, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users