• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

There is one man in Surfside that they could not reach. He is, to the best of official knowledge, the only one left in that city.

That 600-foot freighter, the Antalina, is in serious danger - she is without power, and the seas are ferocious.

Several of our bayous are backing up so badly that they are causeing local flooding without a drop of rain falling.

The storm surge is projected, in the upper reaches of Galveston Bay to be as much as 25 ft, and 17-20 around Galveston Island.

And it's being estimated that fully 40% of Galveston Islandsd population have not evcauted.

It's known simply as The Great Storm of 1900, and it was the worst natural disaster ever to hit the United States.

At least 6,000 people on the 30-mile-long by 3-mile wide strip of sand along the southeast Texas coastline were killed one-sixth of the city's population. Another 10,000 were left homeless. More than 3,600 buildings were destroyed by a 16-foot storm surge fueled by 150 mph winds.

~snip~

That concern prompted the local office of the National Weather Service to issue the rare warning that folks in some areas may "face certain death," if they don't evacuate.

The dire words are built in to the NWS software, but have only been used twice in recent memory, Hafele said this week for Ike and in 2005 before Hurricane Katrina barreled ashore near New Orleans.

The rare warning issued Thursday and repeated Friday struck fear in coastal residents all over southeast Texas. But Hafele said the necessity of conveying the severity of the situation overshadowed the risk of stirring widespread panic, he said.

"What have they ever experienced," Hafele asked. "They hear about storm surge, but probably one percent of the people in the area have ever experienced anything like this."

An expected storm surge of more than 16 feet would put much of the island under water.

Link
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#22 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

I was travelling on I-20 west towards Arlington Tx and they have signs up telling evacuees where to exit in Ft Worth.

This is a huge dude.

We may even get some bad storms here in the DFW area tomorrow.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#23 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Last I heard the guys on the freighter are ok - there was a tug going after them.

I read on another forum that the guy that wouldn't leave Surfside is ok, but I don't know for sure.

East of Houston, where we haven't heard much from, sounds like it was hit really bad.

edited to add: Just saw the Surfside guy on tv and he *is* ok. 20 houses collapsed, but not his.

100 people rescued by Coast Guard this morning so far in Houston area.

Edited by Shoshana, 13 September 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#24 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Ike was a bad boy.

He's weakening but still what a storm.

Amazing.

I hope everyone's okay-the problem here in my area is mainly the flash floods.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#25 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

All we have is heavy cloud cover and brisk winds. Not expecting any rain in our part of Austin.

Edited by Shoshana, 13 September 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#26 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

It's raining in the Dallas Ft Worth area.

It's great chili weather-in fact that's what we are having for dinner today.

#27 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Apparently, the remnant of Ike is about to hit NYC.  60mph winds and widespread power outtages are forecast.  *gulp*

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#28 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:29 PM

Galveston is supposed to be uninhabitable for at least two weeks!  I hope you can stay in Baton Rouge as long as you need to, Mel and Oncoming Storm.  Any news on your own house's condition?

Sending good thoughts,

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#29 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

View PostScottEVill, on Sep 14 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

Apparently, the remnant of Ike is about to hit NYC.  60mph winds and widespread power outtages are forecast.  *gulp*

Hopefully it will at least have gotten rid of much of its rain by the time it reaches you.  Ike literally drenched parts of the Midwest as it moved north.

As the remnants of the hurricane broke down and streamed northeastward, torrential rain caused flooding and power outages in parts of Kansas, Missouri and Illinois.

More rain fell in Chicago on top of 6.6 inches Saturday, and work crews placed 30,000 sandbags along the Chicago River, which was 2 feet above its normal level Sunday. Forty people in suburban Albany Park had to be evacuated by boat.

Although the article doesn't mention it, there are flood warnings up in parts of lower Michigan as well; some roads were blocked off due to flooding in Kalamazoo, and I think police were asking people to stay home.  Our area is also under a flood warning until sometime tomorrow, and though we'll be okay---like Lyric, we live on a hill---I don't think I've ever seen the ground this saturated.  We've got a little water in our basement---that's miniscule compared to what some folks are coping with, but worth mentioning just as an example of how far north the impact of this storm has ranged.

Peridot
Posted Image

#30 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

We were hammered with high winds for hours here in Western PA. The wind was unsettling in the afternoon, but at sunset it became downright worrisome. Gusts up to 79 mph were reported. Over 200,000 people are now without power in my area, and my workplace is closed until 1 p.m. because of no electricity.

Like most inland folks, we sometimes get heavy rains from hurricanes up here, but I've never seen us get winds like that from one. No rain, just ferocious, turn-your-garbage-can-into-a-projectile wind. When I consider how much milder it was than what hit Texas, I'm even more in awe of Ike. What a huge, ferocious thing.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#31 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

quote:
"When I consider how much milder it was than what hit Texas, I'm even more in awe of Ike."

I was thinking that same thought too, last night, as the branches and hickory nuts were dropping on my roof in a steady stream.  The dog didn't know where to hide, poor pup.  And the cats this morning were balking at all the debris in they yard.  Gotta call my sis in Dallas ... wonder if they got hit hard.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ike, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users