Broken Gate

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:06 AM

Edit: Sorry! this should have gone in the backstage forum.  I misposted it.  My Bad!

Hi,  Please excuse any newbie naivety! :whistle:

I'd like to propose a game for your consideration.  I guess if there's enough interest, it'll be a recruitment thread.

I've GM'ed this game a couple of times on tabletop, but never tried it on a forum before.

It's an original universe, based on the late medieval era - swords, primitive gunpowder, magic, faeries, demons and culture clash.  It starts in a city that exists within a delicate power struggle that could see things unfold any number of ways, depending on how the players take things forward.  Also I think the trancers here might like the pixie bit. :)

I'll pitch the world to you first, 'cos I reckon that would be the most interesting part.  Stuff is spoiler tagged for tidiness - some elements probably won't make sense if you don't read things in order, though!

Bit of backstory...
Spoiler: click to show/hide
For as long as history has been recorded, the world has been a godless place.  Humans were a long way down the pecking order beneath the tiers of Faeries and Demons that shared their world.  Were it not for the fact that the certain faeries found found human nature to be intriguing entertainment, humanity would have been destroyed by the Demonkin long ago... for sport.  Cities could only be raised under the protection of a powerful breed of Faerie known as a pixie.  Luckily for humans, the pixies saw the raising of cities as a competitive game - one which had no rules, and carried little regard for human life.  Once in a blue moon a human sorceror would appear who was able to stand toe to toe with Faeries and Demons, but they would often turn out to be worse masters than the Faeries.  Humans put up with their lot - no one remembered a time when things were any different.

Then the prophet Sol appeared in Mindanar claiming that a power higher than the Faeries - 'Heaven' - had spoken to him and given him the gift of null magic: the power to cleanse the area around him from supernatural power.  He confronted the Faerie that was 'protecting' Mindanar, using his gift to block the pixie's magic and becoming the first human ever to slay a Faerie.  He made the killing blow with a mere sword.  The moment was known as the Liberation of Mindanar, a turning point in humanity's place in the world.

Styling himself as the Bishop of Mindanar, Sol raised a religious order known as the Divine Aegis.  He established a college of priests, teaching them the secrets of null magic, and then rallied the Mindanar army and set off to liberate humanity from what he called its 'false gods'.  His Divine Army set out along the coast of the landlocked Argentum Sea, freeing cities from their Faerie Masters and setting up powerful wards over the cities that would nullify any magic within them.  The area covered by these wards would be known as the Tranquility: free from the chaos caused by spirits and demons.  The cities under its protection would be known as the Silver Cities.  By the time of his death twenty years later, the Silver Cities completely covered the coast of the Argentum Sea.  Almost all of his skills were passed on, except for one crucial one: the secret of creating new Tranquility wards died with him.

One of the cities within the Tranquility was a gateway to an Empire in the not too distant East: in the Mindanaran tongue its name was Broken Gate, but people referred to it by its Eastern name of Tou Mun.

The setting...
400 years later...

The City of Tou Mun sits on a peninsula overlooking a channel that joins two seas, and two worlds.  To the East is the Jade Sea and the Han Empire.  To the West is the Argentum Sea.  Apart from the Tou Mun passage, the Argentum Sea is completely surrounded by land and the Tranquility.  Before the Liberation of Mindanar, the city's position made it the focal point of countless conflicts for control of the valuable sea trade with the rest of the world.  Nowadays the city is under the protection of the Bishop of Mindanar, and is the only other city under the direct control of the Divine Aegis.

Under the protection of the Tranquility, the Silver Cities are extremely secure.  Without the aid of magic, Faeries cannot overcome a fortified Human army.  Faeries remain far more agile, but violence runs in a human's blood.  Even Demons, many of whom prefer physical confrontation and brute force, find themselves outmatched by human strategy and their new technology: gunpowder.

The biggest threat to the Silver Cities is the Han Empire.  Spanning a land mass twice the size of the Argentum Sea itself, 'the Empire', as it is referred to collouquially, remains fiercely loyal to the pixies that rule it, revering the Faerie world as Heaven's presence on earth, and the pixies that govern it as gods.  The threat lies not only from the Empire's armies, but from the large population of Han that live peacefully in Tou Mun.  Despite these tensions, the desire for prosperity amongst the working classes keeps the burgeoning trade through the Tou Mun Passage healthy.  However if the Han within the city were roused to revolt, the city's heavily defended walls could be left extremely vulnerable to attack from the Jade Sea.  As a result the Divine Aegis governs the city with an extremely delicate touch, in stark contrast to its intolerant discipline over the other cities.

Of course, 400 years after its inception the Divine Aegis has become as corrupted as any other human organisation.  Most of the clergy use their political power for financial gain, and despite their denunciation of supernaturals as false gods, they often look the other way when it's profitable for the city to deal with Faerie-governed cities.  The current Bishop of Mindanar prudently governs the Divine Aegis as the political entity everyone knows it has become.  Few fail to see the theological reasons behind his actions for the thinly-veiled excuses they are, and he only really gives theological justification out of regard for tradition.  Stories of the horrors of life under pixie rule are still alive in social memory, but time is beginning to erode the severity of those tales, and some listen to tales of life in the Han Empire, and beign to question the truth behind the old stories.

As the eve of the 400th anniversary of the Liberation of Mindanar, the city prepares to celebrate.  The conflict between Faeriekin and the Divine Aegis is present on everyone's mind.  The City of Broken Gate is a powder keg waiting to be set off...

Character Types, and a closer look at the various creatures that populate the world.
There's quite a range of character types to play.  No character types are neccessary for the plot to work, but if your character closely matches a key NPC I'll give you the option of taking that NPC's place.  If players want to create characters that are in opposing 'factions', that's fine - in fact I encourage it.  The nature of the story will give ample opportunity for members of opposing factions to interact with more than just violence.  Unless players decide to just attack one another.  Which is also fine :)

Humans / Divine Aegis:
note: There's very little 'canon' doctrine involved, so don't be intimidated by that if you want to play a DA character.  In fact there's very little canon anything.
Priests - operatives of the DA - usually concerned with rooting out heresy, but in Tou Mun heresy is tolerated and the priests work as glorified detectives for the most part.  Some are pragmatic about the presence of Faerie worship in Tou Mun, others are more fundamentalist.  Priests are elite warriors extremely skilled with the sword, and outside of the Tranquility they use their null magic aggressively, disarming enemy magic users.  They're pretty much the jedi of this world... only without lightsabers, mind tricks, the force or the moral high ground.  Still, you don't want to mess with them.
Bishops - Similar to a priest, but bishops hold secular authority and keep their noses out of the DA's campaign against Faerie worshippers.  Non combatants; a Bishop's schedule leaves no time for combat training but they're equal to priests in terms of null magic.  The Archbishop chairs the senate, which runs the city.
Eisburg Guard - Mercenaries from the northern city of Eisburg and extremely loyal to the DA, they serve as elite soldiers under direct command of the DA.  They use heavy weapons and light armour, and often carry enchanted masks that help them focus their limited null magic skills - just enough to protect themselves and stand a fair chance against pixies outside the Tranquility.  The Eisburg guard have adopted gunpowder enthusiastically; grenades have become a staple part of their arsenal, though guns have yet to be developed enough for their tastes

Humans / Tou Mun:
For most people who are born in Tou Mun, their primary concern is with the safety of the city rather than whether it's pixies or priests that protect them.  They live in a city exposed to both beliefs, and tend to be jaded with both.  There are many exceptions, though.
City Officials - Tou Mun has a senate that, apart from the Archbishop, is effectively secular.  The Han representatives are a minority against senators descended from the other Silver Cities.
City Guard - Being the only city with significant exposure to the wider world, the Tou Mun guard are the most renkowned fighting force amongst the Silver Cities.  For security issues, and under much protest from the Han community, Han are limited to a very small minority in the guard.  Ironically, the Han tend to be the best of them.  The City Guard is where you'll find the gunpowder pioneers.
Citizens - Tou Mun is a burgeoning trade city, with all the social classes that involves.  Warehouses dominate the docks area, accompanied by a myriad inns for the dockworkers to spend their off-time in.  The Market is huge and borders the residential area known as Merchant's Wharf, a section of the waterfront consisting of huge stately homes occupied by rich traders and the clergy.  Further inland, the appropriately named 'inner city' is home not only to the working class but to organised crime.
Slaves - Slavery is considered completely moral by humans, especially in the East where slaves are just another tier in the divine order in the same way that freemen are completely at the mercy of Faeries.  Most slaves in Tou Mun are imported from the Empire, which 'harvests' them from smaller kingdoms and tribes in the demon-controlled lands beyond the Silver Cities' reckoning.  Indeed some of the more valuable slaves are lesser demons themselves.

Faeries:
Pixies - The dominant 'species' amongst Faerie Kin.  Revered as gods by most humans outside the Tranquility.  The Han worship them unquestioningly, but for most others the reverence is born out of fear, which amuses the pixies.  Outside the Tranquility, a pixie's power over its visible area is limited only by the pixie's imagination.  Inside the Tranquility, they're as 'weak' as most humans, only far more agile.  Pixies refer to sneaking into the Tranquility as 'slumming' - something which is extremely dangerous in most cities, as they're liable to be attacked on sight and their agility rarely saves them from death.  In Tou Mun they're protected from attack by the city's tolerance laws.  The City's laws also require them to take care not to disturb the peace by allowing their presence to cause riots, so pixies try to keep a low profile within the city... except when they want to cause mischief.  Pixies are matriarchal, with female pixies apparently weilding notably stronger magic than males.  The males are physically larger, however, and this leaves them better equiped them when facing the only real danger to pixies outside of the Tranquility: priests.
Note - since this is Exisle, the pixies are purple and have prehensile tails.  Obviously :)
Sprites - Winged humanoids varying in size between an inch and a foot, sprites are 'messengers of the gods'.  Masters of stealth, their magic is limited to supporting their powers of flight, and octopus-like camouflage.  They tend to form groups known as posses, often following pixies for both protection and fun.  Inside the Tranquility the magic that supports their flight is suppressed, although they still jump extremely high, climb like squirrels and glide great distances.  The loss of their camouflage within the Tranquility is only a small inconvenience on their ability to move unseen, making them perfect spies.
Druids - Druids are humans that dedicate themselves completely to worship of faeries.  Druids serve a vital role as a form of administrator in Faerie-controlled lands, where among other humans they command great respect and authority.  Their willing compliance makes them particularly vulnerable to pixie magic, allowing a pixie to imbue them with limited and varied magical powers, usually with an enchantment that enforces their abject obedience.  Faeries either derisively or affectionately refer to druids as pets, reflective of the starkly contrasting ways different pixies treat their servants.  In some cases, druids who regret giving up their freedom of thought take up sanctuary within the Tranquility, where both their gifts and curse are suppressed.

A couple of notes on my GM style:
While there is a 'main' plot for players to pursue, I also like to keep the game open ended and players are completely free to wander off on their own side adventures - even ignoring the main plot completely.
I like to use the narrative imperative system: short statements about things that must happen, which leave the players free to decide how those conditions are met.  Some samples:
"[a P.C.] will call a public meeting at the square, all PCs will be there for their own reasons",
"The spy will not be discovered", or
"If [A particular NPC] is confronted or atacked, she can be captured but unharmed.  At least one of her bodyguards escapes unharmed".
It's a system that encourages a hands-off approach from the GM, giving players more freedom in how they can interact with and control NPCs and affect the environment.  For example, the second imperative leaves players free to do anything but discover the spy.  One of them might want to go burn down a warehouse.  That would probably prompt an imperative like "If the City Guard spot [PC], they will attempt to arrest her."  The idea is that the imperatives set waypoints keep everyone on the same page, but allow for players to push it in the direction they'd like to explore and affect where the next waypoint will be.
I'll add as much GM narrative as players need to get going, but players are pretty much welcome to take the initiative based on the narrative imperative.

If you're interested, please pipe in with the sort of character you'd like to play.  Ideally 4 players or more, but as a newbie I won't be picky :D  I won't play a character myself unless we're short on numbers.

Edited by Rocorolo, 22 September 2008 - 04:44 AM.

#2 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

View PostRocorolo, on Sep 22 2008, 04:06 AM, said:

Edit: Sorry! this should have gone in the backstage forum.  I misposted it.  My Bad!
I've moved the thread for you, Roco!

And the GM's here usually play a character in their games (or two or three :angel:) that are the "leaders", so don't limit yourself.

#3 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

View PostNikki Peppermint, on Sep 22 2008, 06:21 AM, said:

I've moved the thread for you, Roco!

And the GM's here usually play a character in their games (or two or three :angel:) that are the "leaders", so don't limit yourself.

Thanks, Nikki!

If it's custom here for the GMs to play a character, I'll not break it.  I'll post a few NPC character profiles, and take on one as a main depending on the characters the players create.

#4 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi, I'd be interested in giving this a go.

And as a GM myself I can agree with Nikki's statement, a character is a very useful tool for a GM-usually in a leadership role as it can allow you to guide and influence the storyline as your players go through it.
Rejected and gone.

#5 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

i might be interested as well :)
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#6 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

Two potential players with 'evil' in their names!  Stellar!

Below are some of the more interesting character profiles from previous times this has been played through, that have been adopted as NPCs for this playthrough (with their creators' permissions, for course!).  They could become your character's friends or foes, or perhaps both.  

As for my own character, he will either be a Sprite, a Tou Mun official, a Bishop or the Archbishop of Tou Mun (assuming no players want to be archbiship).  Which one I go with depends on what characters the players want - I'll create a character that's in a position to offer them guidance through the story.  I don't want anyone to feel they have to make their character belong to a particular Faerie/DA/Human alignment!  It's entirely up to you guys.

You can use the profile format here to create your own characters.

Hadrian, the traveller.

basics: Human male, early forties.
description: Tall and Statuesque.  Dark, greased back hair.  Dark brown eyes and a chiseled jaw.  Hadrian was probably very handsome in youth, but now his face has a weathered, weary look to it.  He dresses practically: oiled slacks tucked into work boots, a double-stitched workman's shirt, scuffed leather cuffs and no decorative jewellery.  In formal occassions he tidies up surprisingly well, although he'd have to borrow any formal attire.
mannerisms: He moves slowly when at ease, taking his time with things.  He's often at ease, very patient and methodical.  The stately calm he exudes tends to calm those around him as well.  He speaks with a firm, deep voice.
combatives:  Hadrian tries to avoid fights, but in his travels he's often been unable to avoid them.  He's also learned a lot from the countless personalities he's met, and he's develped a formidably eclectic repertoire of close combat techniques, many of which involve combining the reach of his cane and the blade of his short sword, which he holds as a dagger.
history: He grew up as a farmhand in Eisburg.  His family pressured him into joining the Eisburg Guard for the wage and prestige, but it didn't appeal to him, and nor did farming.  One day he set off to go travelling, and he hasn't looked back since.  His latest soujourn into the East isn't the first time he's been out there, nor does he plan to make it his last.
prestory: Hadrian arrives in Tou Mun having returned from his travels in the East.  He plans to find lodging and stay in the city during the 400th year celebrations, then move on and explore the West for a while.
occupation & estate: Hadrian owns the clothes on his back, a walking cane, a short sword and the coins in his belt pouch.  He's a traveller, originally from Eisburg but no longer identifies it as home.  He earns his keep by helping out with manual work in the places he visits and taverns he lodges in.  Often he finds himself employed as a bartender at the inns he stays at for prolonged periods, given that his restful manner lends itself well to the occupation.
politics & agenda: Being a traveller, Hadrian has been exposed to life both within and without the Tranquility.  Outside, his life has often been in the hands of the Faeries that ruled over the places he's visited and the wildernesses he's explored.  He sees them as a part of nature, and doesn't have any objections to bending the knee to the more imperious ones.  Similarly, he sees no evil in the DA's fight to keep the Silver Cities free.  In his travels he's often found that treating everyone with cordiality and respect usually serves him best.  He enjoys the diversity of the world, and is happy to continue exploring wherever the wind takes him

Foxtrot, the Pixie

basics: Pixie male, 500s
description: Shorter than the average pixie male, but height/weight proportioned.  His skin has a silvery sheen [edit: here it's purple].  He lets his seaweed-green hair grow long and unkempt, and it appears to have moss and plant life within its matted locks.  In contrast his clothing has a very human touch to it: he wears a shirt and coat with a ruff neck, although the ruff is torn so that it's open-necked.  His breeches are baggy and ragged, his stockings have runs in them and his shoes have no soles.
mannerisms: Very, very still.  His movements are short and purposeful, making him seem almost reptilian... until he talks.  His face is extremely expressive and his gestures are exaggeratedly expansive, as if he was going out of his way to mimic human behaviour without really understanding it.  He comes across as harmless, and he generally is, unles he's provoked.
combatives:  Within the Tranquility Foxtrot will usually try to run from a confrontation, either out of the tranquility or to the protection of the Han villagers that know him.  He will, if forced, use his fishing rod with its line and fishhook to put a nasty hurt on an assailant, but he'd prefer to just escape.  Outside the Tranquility, he'll use illuision to confuse attackers and try to get them to leave peacefully.  He'll be very patient but if they persist he'll make tree roots rise out of the ground and pin them down permanently.
history: He was in his 100s when the Divine Aegis arose.  Spawned out of a kelp colony on the shores of the Argentum sea, he looks back on those early years as a paradise.  He was never the type to lord it over humans, just happy to frolick all along the coastline tending to the fishes and creating biodiversity hotspots by moving them around a bit.  In the 400 years since, he's only been able to reach the shores of the Argentum along Tou Mun's coastline, and he's been longing to revisit the rest of it.
prestory: Foxtrot lives just outside the Tranquility near Tou Mun, and travels regularly into the Tranquility and through the outlying villages to the coast, where he likes to sit on the rocks and fish.  The eve of the 400th year is just another day to him.
occupation & estate: Foxtrot keeps a cave lair in the forest just outside the Tranquility.  It's tunneled out with magic and decorated with patterned roots and various colours of glowing fungus.  400 years ago he had an incredibly cool underwater lair, but since the Tranquility came to encompass the sea he's been unable to breath in water.
politics & agenda: Foxtrot would very much like his sea back.  He doesn't bear any malice toward humans... indeed on a good fishing day he'll share his catch with the nice Han villagers that come to his fishing spot to leave him oranges and pray for their families.  However, if he ever finds a way to get his sea back, he's not going to be too concerned about human welfare in the process of getting it.

Cara, the Eisburg Guard.

basics: Human female, late twenties.
description: Standing Tall at 6'3, thin and sinewy, with long straw-coloured hair that she keeps in a plait which she tucks away while on duty.  Her combat gear is a mix of plate and leather armour, customised to her taste for mobility and protection.   In Tou Mun's climate, when she's not dressed for combat she wears loose fitting tops to keep cool.  She wears leather chaps and fur gaiters in and out of combat gear, and is able to dress up to full armour at very short notice.
mannerisms: She's young, and full of energy.  Extremely assertive both by nature and training, she likes to use her northerner's height to intimidate people.
combatives:  Cara uses a claymore, a massive 5 foot long two-handed sword.  Her technique involves several stances that let her switch between two styles.  Primarily she uses her height and the length of her weapon for a reach-and-power ethic.  Her sword has a ricasso grip that runs halfway up the blade, allowing her to use a half-sword style based heavily on Han Guandao techniques for fast, close quarter combat when enemies close in, or in confined spaces.  She's only really at a disadvantage against ranged weaponry or magic. Her null magic skills are limited to a deflecting shield and protection from mind control.
history: Cara joined the guard bretheren as soon as she was old enough and has become a veteran of battles against Faeries, Demons and even other humans in small-scale civil wars within the Silver Cities.  These latter conflicts have shaken her faith in humanity, and she's come to doubt the Divine Aegis' depiction of Heaven as the true faith she was raised to believe in.
prestory: Cara has recently moved to Tou Mun to sign up with the guard there.  She seeks to expose herself to the other cultures that exist in the city and decide for herself what she will believe in.  She hopes to meet pixies and learn more about them as more than just enemies.  On the eve of the 400th year celebrations, her ship is just arriving at Tou Mun docks.
occupation & estate: As a member of the Eisburg Guard Bretheren, Cara enjoys the wealth and status that comes with being in the world's finest private military organisation.  The pay is good in Tou Mun, and she intends to rent one of the reserved town houses owned by the Eisburg Guard.
politics & agenda: She's beginning to seriously doubt the beliefs that have been so clear-cut to her since she was a child.  She's become curious and inquisitive, and has come to Tou Mun because it's a place where she can learn instead of fight.  At the end of the day, however, violence is still her comfort zone.

#7 Milley02

Milley02
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

Sounds like a great game! I'd definetly be interested!

Is there any big no no's in character creation or any other rules I should know about, before I pen something?

:lol:
"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved"  -  William Jennings Bryan

Naruto RPG looking for players. Follow link -
http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=53580

#8 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:21 AM

View PostMilley02, on Sep 22 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

Sounds like a great game! I'd definetly be interested!

Is there any big no no's in character creation or any other rules I should know about, before I pen something?

:lol:
Well, magic is the source of any 'supernatural' abilities, if you want any, and the Tranquility is secure in nullifying all of it: think about how it would affect your character if they use magic.  People from the Silver Cities don't usually practice any magic other than the DA and their null magic: there's no easy way to learn it from inside the tranquility.  Of course, there's plenty of creative ways around that.  Pixies are the masters of magic, and can do it all innately.

Martial technology is High/Late Medieval.  The best you can expect from a gun is a flintlock musket that takes 20 seconds to reload, so archery isn't outmoded.

It's up to you how powerful/normal you want your character to be.  Powerful character, like pixies and priests, will probably find themselves facing some tough challenges, though.  The challenges will be fun, of course.

It's a very open-ended world.  Create away.  The important thing is that you have a character that you like and will enjoy playing!

#9 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

i'll work on creating a character today :D
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#10 Milley02

Milley02
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:31 AM

View PostEvilSzh, on Sep 24 2008, 12:05 AM, said:

i'll work on creating a character today :D

:lol:  ditto!
"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved"  -  William Jennings Bryan

Naruto RPG looking for players. Follow link -
http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=53580

#11 szhismine

szhismine

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

here's my character profile:

Name: Maiya Alexandria

Appearance: 5’6”, slender build, long dark brown hair, hazel eyes, Caucasian

Job: Senator’s aid

Characteristics: hard working, intelligent, critical, determined, realistic, open-minded

Political views: Maiya is open-minded and does not believe that a person’s beliefs and/or religious views matter, and thinks that people should not be so judgmental and tradition-oriented. However, she is also a realist and believes that conflict is imminent.

Fighting skills: She recently re-started weapon training, which she abandoned at a younger age. She can use a bow-and-arrow, and has some knowledge of hand-to-hand combat and sword fighting.

History: Maiya’s father, Christof, is from Tou Mun, and her mother, Jen, is from Mindanar. They lived in Tou Mun, but they frequently travelled to Mindanar. Jen was in the Eisburg Guard, and she taught Maiya combat at a young age, hoping she would follow her mother’s footsteps. Christof was a senator, so Maiya also grew up with an understanding of politics. This, combined with frequent travel (though she’s never been outside the Tranquility), exposed Maiya to the significant differences in political and religious views, and she always wondered why these differences caused so much tension.

When Maiya was 14, her parents separated. She chose to remain in Tou Mun with her father, while her mother returned to Mindanar. However, since Christof didn’t remarry, she had to live in a foster home until she was 16, when she could move back in with him. Maiya and Jen’s relationship became strained because of their differing opinions on the Divine Aegis. At 15 Maiya stopped her combat training, and at 19 all ties between her and her mother were severed. They have not spoken since.

Maiya studied politics and trade relations extensively. Her father (now retired) got her a job as the assistant to a close friend and Senator, who has become her mentor. She has worked for him for 3 years and is becoming more involved in the senatorial process. She advocates change and diplomacy, but few listen to her.

ETA: here's a picture:

Posted Image

Edited by EvilSzh, 01 October 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#12 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Nice!  It'll be interesting to see how Maiya reacts to the events that start taking place around her.

#13 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

This sounds interesting; I'll work on a character profile this weekend and PM you.

I do have one quick question: Does the Tou Mon City Guard act as both an army and a police force, that is does it both guard against external threats and attempt to keep law and order within the city, or is there a separate force, a City Watch or something like that, that handles police-type duties within the city?
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.

-Wm. Shakespeare Henry V Prologue

Now, was it just the eggs? Or was the ham green as well?

#14 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

The Tou Mun City Guard are a militia that do both.  In the capacity of a state military they'd defend the city under the command of the Divine Aegis, as the city is the DA's protectorate.  So they'd fight alongside Eisburg Guard and Priests.

Expeditions outside the Tranquility would be conducted by the Divine Aegis under the banner of Mindanar.  Tou Mun's political stability is too precious to have it take part in an act of aggression.

That's not to say that a member of the City Guard would be short of things to do... far from it.

After discussing with EvilSzh, I'd like players to PM me with their characters before posting here.  Include a note about what you'd like your character to get up to (politics, combat, sleuthing etc) so I can make sure you'll be happy with the result :)

#15 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

OK, ladies & gentlemen...

I'm going to set up a supporting site for the game.  It'll host character profiles, NPC data, location descriptions, maps and lore.  Expect it up some time over the weekend.  I'll post here when it's ready.

The prologue will begin on 1st September.  Please try to get your character profile ready by then if you want to join from the start.  The prologue will be very short, so if you do miss the start you don't have to wait long to join in at chapter 1.

Happy creating :)

#16 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

YOU can count me in too, however I may have to hold off for a while.

I have broken a bone in my right wrist anmd several bones in my right hand.  Unfortunately they are displaced.  The surgeon that I saw did not want to touch them until the hand specialist has taken a look.  I will see him on Wednesday.  May hsve to have some pins put in.

#17 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Sorry to hear about the hand, Brit.  No worries about holding off, it's good to know that you intend to join in :)

#18 Rocorolo

Rocorolo
  • Islander
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Prologue starts tomorrow!

So far it's just two player characters in the prologue: EvilSzh's finalized her character.  Nikki Peppermint has created a character, but I think she wants to finalise some details on auxilliary characters before posting it.

Anyone with characters still in the works, don't worry: you won't miss too much!

#19 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

I can post it now...the rest will come out as time goes on :angel:.

I'll be watching tomorrow...I do work all day and then at night, but should have access to a computer during the day at various times :).

Gwenyth Amadi
Female human
5'8"
Slender, graceful
Mid-40s
Long dark red hair worn in a multitude of small and med sized braids that she wears in different styles
Unusually dark green eyes, forest green

Imperial Ambassador Gwenyth Amadi is a member of the Han royal family. She is a "sister" to a pixie---Jhaelriia (Jal-ree-a), the Goddess of the Jade Sea who rules outside of the Tranquility. Gwenth was adopted into the royal family as a teenager and rose in importance as she was groomed by her pixie benefactor/"sister". She was granted magical powers by the pixie, but really only needs to use them in self-defense--her real "power" lies in her being an Ambassador. She is considered a demi-god of sorts

She lives mainly at the embassy on the island of Saletor, off the East coast of Tau Mun. When living within the Tranquility her magical powers are really of no use. She is skilled in martial arts, hand to hand combat, and the use of hand-held weapons.

The Ambassador is currently entrusted with making sure the valuable trade income from the Silver Cities doesn't collapse. There is a conflict between the Faeriekin and the Divine Aegis during this time of the celebration of 400 years of liberation from the pixies. She has the authority to speak for the Empire; even to declare war, so she is very powerful in her own right, although her sister is the most powerful among the gods and everyone in the empire knows it.

Gwenyth feels she is somewhat "superior" as a member of the Han royal family. She believes in her entitlement as such and expects to be treated well. She isn't cruel or unkind, in fact she tries to help others when she can. But she will do what needs to be done to get what she needs and wants and to protect the pixies--especially her "sister", the goddess--as well as the interests of the Han Empire. She is very exacting in what she needs, wants, and expects.

She has several personal slaves that wait solely on her wherever she goes. Two of her slaves (Jinn and Morax) act as a bodyguards of sorts and carry knives, a sword, and light armor. They are with her at all times. They are lesser demons and physically powerful. A young female slave acts as a personal maid (Eleni), while a male slave (Mosi) waits on Gwenyth as a butler. A sprite named Naida acts as spy for Gwenyth--she stowed away on one of the many ships that travel the short distance between the island and the peninsula. Naida worships the pixie goddess and is fond of Gwenyth, and so decided to work with the Ambassador.

Gwenyth is not married but has discreet liasons when she wants. She feels she's too busy and important to be tied down with a family.

#20 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Name:  Abigail Linnen
Species: Human caucasian, female.
Physical Description: Fairly tall and strong with naturally pale skin that has a slight tan from a lifetime of working outdoors. Deep blue eyes and shoulder blade length blond hair. She usually wears a mixture of leather and chainmail armour to give her maxiumum protection while maintaining some agility. When not on duty she wears simple, loose, comfortable clothing.
Skills: Some hand-to-hand combat, has both broadsword and single handed sword training although she prefers to use a light single blade for quick but powerful strikes. She knows basic first aid for the era. She also is proficient in both guns and archery. She is both literate, numerate and has experience in trade and negotiation.
Profession: City Guard.
Political views: Abigail is largely indifferent to politics, she didn't make the world, she only tries to live in it. She doesn't believe the Pixies are gods. However she is indifferent to an individual's beliefs or political alignment unless they get in her way or try to inflict their views upon her.
Known History: Abigail was born in Tou Mun as the daughter of a Silk Trade Merchant named Jian his wife Sophia, who helps him run the business as well as being a good housewife. Abi has a younger brother named Michael who will inherit the family shop when he's old enough. The Linnen family is wealthy as her father's business dominates the silk trade, importing in silk from the Empire and distributing it to the tailors in Tou Mun as well as starting to branch out to other Silver Cities. They also sell silk directly from their own shop and offices from where they run the business. Her parents are aging now and are planning to hand the business to Michael whom is 22. They've been teaching him how to run the business for a number of years. Abigail has had an unremarkable childhood. She attended school and learnt basic combat training then helped run the business during her teenage years. However, much to her parent's dismay, when she was nineteen she enlisted with the City Guard to avoid being married off by her parents to another merchant. She completed her training quickly, and within a year or two she'd earned enough money to buy a small house of her own. Since then Abigail has lived alone and has only a few friends but she is comfortable this way. Since completing her training she has fought against Demons, other humans and the occasional Pixie. On the eve of the 400th Anniversary Abi is on duty as usual within the city...

Edited to add: And here's a link that should show what she looks like.

http://www.istockpho....php?id=5576636

Edited by EvilMikoto, 01 October 2008 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users