Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

If Ex Islers Had the Deciding Votes and the Elections Were Held TODAY.

OT Partisanship 2008

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose the Next President of these United States! (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Select All the Candidates You Approve for Office (You can select more than one)

1. Barack Obama (D) (25 votes [46.30%])

Percentage of vote: 46.30%

2. John McCain ® (10 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. Bob Barr (L) (4 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

4. Cynthia McKinney (G) (3 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. Ralph Nadar (I) (2 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

6. Write-in Choice (Please name in post) (10 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Cast Your vote for your first choice for president

1. Barack Obama (D) (20 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. John McCain ® (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Bob Barr (L) (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. Cynthia McKinney (G) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Ralph Nadar (I) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Write-in Choice (Please name in post) (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Which Polling Method Do You Prefer To Use To Name A Winner?

1. Polling Method One: Approval Vote (14 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

2. Polling Method Two: Standard Vote (22 votes [61.11%])

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

^^Besides, Jon Stewart isn't running for president.  But Stephen Colbert is.  I'm surprised nobody's mentioned him yet.  I gather that Colbert's campaign is actually gaining serious headway -- at least in the Marvel Comics Universe.  And he's teaming up with Spider-Man in an upcoming issue!
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#22 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 5 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

I would've written in Jed Bartlet, but there are term limits, so I voted for Obama in both.

I considered writing in Superman, but I believe that, like Al Gore, he can do more good in his current role than within the restrictions of the executive branch.  Also it's questionable whether he qualifies as a native-born American.  In the post-Byrne comics continuity (and in the comics annual that explored in imaginary-story form what a Superman presidency would be like), he wasn't technically born until his incubator capsule arrived in Kansas, but other portrayals disagree.

But couldn't you simply write in Clark Kent?  He's a United States citizen through and through (at least as far as we know...)  :D
Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#23 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:10 AM

Write In for former Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell of the Northern Cheyenne - because the man is full of WIN.

D'

#24 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

View PostLaughingVulcan, on Oct 5 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

But couldn't you simply write in Clark Kent?  He's a United States citizen through and through (at least as far as we know...)  :D

But that would be election fraud!  That wouldn't serve truth and justice!  (No comment about the American way...)

Besides, the issue isn't whether someone's a citizen, it's whether they're "natural-born."

Edited by Christopher, 06 October 2008 - 07:44 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#25 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

I think Clark Kent would be a terrible choice. With that amount of media attention and security, it would be REALLY hard to hide that he's superman - and if it were known, well that would bring up a variety of difficulties.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#26 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

^^In the comic, Clark was exposed as Superman during a failed attempt to save a presidential candidate from assassination.  The dying candidate asked Clark to run in his place.  So everyone knew going in that candidate Clark Kent was actually Superman, and naturally he won by a landslide.  (Odd... usually Superman prevents landslides.)

Wow... among Ex Islers, Obama is leading McCain by nearly 3 to 1.  I hope we're a representative sample.

Edited by Christopher, 06 October 2008 - 09:06 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#27 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:14 AM

I hope we're a representative sample

Sadly we are not.

If we can get into fictional characters, then my write in vote would have been for

Jed Clampett
Can't Touch This!!

#28 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 6 2008, 03:05 PM, said:

Wow... among Ex Islers, Obama is leading McCain by nearly 3 to 1.  I hope we're a representative sample.

Maybe not by that margin, but pretty much every political tracker suggests that Obama is making major inroads into battleground states, and even turning a few 'safe' ones into debtable propositions. The fact that McCain has essentially ceded Michigan by withdrawing all campaigning from the state (including TV ads according to the BBC) suggests that he's getting very worried about shoring up support in the states he has left.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#29 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

^^Yeah... but it would be nice to have a presidential election where the result represents the preference of a clear majority of the voters rather than splitting them more or less in half.  A 3-to-1 landslide would be a nice mandate.  And it would be easier on my nerves if my favored candidate had an insurmountable lead already rather than a marginal lead.  Statistically, the odds favor Obama at the moment, but as we saw in the primaries, statistical leads can come and go pretty easily.

Of course, some states have absentee voting commencing already.  At least in Ohio, the new laws say that anyone can cast an absentee ballot in advance without needing a special reason.  I'm not sure how many other states are doing that.  But spreading out the actual voting dates might diminish the effect of statistical variations in candidate leads over the next few weeks.  Obama's current lead may have some actual meaning, since some voting is going on right now.

Edited by Christopher, 06 October 2008 - 09:54 AM.

Facebook Author Page

#30 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

In regards to fictional characters... I guess Picard is the wrong nationality? How about Macgyver? Hawkeye would probably find it too frustrating (all the red tape and bureaucracy) still....would be cool :cool: . Captain Janeway?

OMG what am I thinking...the most obvious, the best...

Atticus Finch! That's my vote.

Sparky

#31 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

If Barack Obama wins, I'm moving to Canada Alaska. :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#32 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Oct 6 2008, 10:59 AM, said:

In regards to fictional characters... I guess Picard is the wrong nationality? How about Macgyver?
A radical opponent of gun use who worked for an interventionist NGO dedicated to promoting environmental responsibility and world peace, and who once dated a former Soviet agent? And they say Obama would be the most liberal president in U.S. history. :)

Though maybe he's turned neocon in his old age, which would be pretty scary. . . .

#33 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

"President MacGyver!  The Dow just plummeted 500 points!"
"Quick!  Get me a canvas tent, an old water heater, 50 wire coat hangers, and all the duct tape you can find!"

Facebook Author Page

#34 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 6 2008, 04:41 PM, said:

"President MacGyver!  The Dow just plummeted 500 points!"
"Quick!  Get me a canvas tent, an old water heater, 50 wire coat hangers, and all the duct tape you can find!"

I think I now support a MacGyver/Colbert ticket.

#35 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

View PostDev F, on Oct 6 2008, 12:33 PM, said:

Though maybe he's turned neocon in his old age, which would be pretty scary. . . .

I did hear he went to USAF officer candidate school under a cover identity.  Something about this top secret installation in Colorado.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#36 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

A radical opponent of gun use who worked for an interventionist NGO dedicated to promoting environmental responsibility and world peace, and who once dated a former Soviet agent? And they say Obama would be the most liberal president in U.S. history.

"President MacGyver! The Dow just plummeted 500 points!"
"Quick! Get me a canvas tent, an old water heater, 50 wire coat hangers, and all the duct tape you can find!"

:howling:

#37 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:18 AM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 6 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

^^Yeah... but it would be nice to have a presidential election where the result represents the preference of a clear majority of the voters rather than splitting them more or less in half.  A 3-to-1 landslide would be a nice mandate.  And it would be easier on my nerves if my favored candidate had an insurmountable lead already rather than a marginal lead.  Statistically, the odds favor Obama at the moment, but as we saw in the primaries, statistical leads can come and go pretty easily.

Thought this might amuse you

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/7655330.stm

It's an article on newly registrated voters in the US

The registration ratio rises to four-to-one in favour of the Democrats in Colorado and Nevada and six to one in North Carolina, it says.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users