72 replies to this topic

#1 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:03 AM

A heartwarming tale for thought, a.k.a my little rant:

I was raised in a family consisting of a Hindu father, a Catholic mother, and myself. They got along quite harmoniously, until the debate over who got the last piece of cake came in. There was really no mention of religion in the household. My mom took me to church a few times to introduce me to it, at least, and my dad took me to temple a few times, to introduce me to Hinduism.

I therefore had the benefit of exposure to several creeds and philosophies growing up, along with the benefit of not being forced to believe in anything right away. In the end, I ended up choosing to go along with the belief in Hinduism, mixed with an atheist viewpoint, just because it did not seem to be fear-induced, like Catholicism. Every time I went to that church, I always came out expecting to be smited from above at any time. And I didn't like being told that I'm sinful and that the Lord takes all the sin from the world, yadda yadda yadda. My thought was always, "Well, he's not doing a very good job, is he?" When I came out of the temple, not only had I learned a few new Hindi words, but I had just learned a way to improve upon myself, which is itself the philosophy underlying Hinduism.

Where am I going with this? Well. Lets just say the Christian population hates my guts and tries to convert me at every chance they get.

"There's only one God," they say. "There cannot be more than one, that's wrong!"

"If you don't believe in Him, then you'll go to hell." they say.

My response usually goes like this: "What about the thousands of people who lived before Christianity came about, eh? What happened to them? Have you considered that other religions have been around longer? Have you considered that the Catholics and the Christians actually have the same religion but seem to have a very colorful history living side by side? I believe the color in mind is red. How can conflicting ideas at the same be soul-elevating ones, quote from the Bhagavad Gita?"

At which the converting Christians give me very dirty looks and walk off, to come back later with some quote from the bible that I don't give a damn about and they might as well be talking to a wall.

Point of Lyric's rant: Why don't they leave me alone? Is there a problem with believing something else? I guarantee you, I looked into both before deciding which way to go. I'm sick of my Christian friends trying to convert me all the time!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

And an apology to the followers of Christianity who read my rant, because I don't make your beliefs sound very good. I'm sorry. I do respect them, but I don't believe them myself is the point I'm trying make. Sorry if it appears differently, I know religion is a very touchy subject for a lot of people....

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:06 AM

{{{{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}}}}}

Just try to remember that not *all* Christians are of the "our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.

Lil
Posted Image

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:11 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 7 2003, 02:02 PM, said:

Just try to remember that not *all* Christians are of the "our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.

Lil
The problem comes from so many of them being taught to do exactly what LZD is ranting about. A place I used to work has had to tell Christians to keep it to break time and lunch time because they were disturbing people who were working. Those who do this are in the manority, but the manority is very annoying.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:11 AM

Sure!  I have a bit of advice...

don't argue.

You be the bigger person.  If you start by understanding THEIR POV, then you will know that they THINK they are doing you a favor by constantly trying to convert you.    So - let them do you the favor, say thank you, and go about your business. If you really want to help put in in perspective for them - tell them exactly what you are doing.  Say "I realize that you are fulfilling the requirements of your faith according to your understanding, by trying to convert me.  I'm willing to listen to you once, and then I hope that you can respect me enough to let it alone after that..."

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:18 AM

*sigh*

Once again a minority of so called Christians bring anger down on the head of the rest of us. Everyone says "Don't judge all Muslems by 911" yet it seems it is okay to do it to Christians.

These people that harass you are wrong in the way they handle things. A true Christian would not hate you. True Christians do try to show others the way we have found, but it should NEVER be done in hate or anger. And telling someone they are going to hell unless the believe is very wrong. I believe only God will decide that. I imagine many so-called-Christians will be very surprisd when they are forced to stand in judgement in front of Christ.
I try to live the life that Jesus set before me and allow others to see that. if they are curious, I will tell them what I believe and why. I don't like to get into arguments over it since a person who wants to argue has no desire to learn. Besides, I can not articulate my belief as well as others do.

I am sadden by the out and out negative feelings I get here from non-Christians toward Christians. I do blame these so-called-Christians for much of this, but we each are guilty when decide to promote it. It's the same with the political threads. I see hate and mistrust on both sides and it is depressing.

Lyric ZD, I apologize for anyone doing these to you in the Lord's name. In my belief, Jesus loves all of us no matter what we believe. I believe he is the only way, but that he will judge each according to his/her knowledge.

But that's me, I find it much more rewarding than my days as an atheist/humanist.

LoP

Edited to add: And I thought I would stay out of these threads. Can't teach an old Trancer new tricks I guess. ;)

Edited by Lover of Purple, 08 July 2003 - 05:21 AM.

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:21 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Lover of Purple}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:24 AM

Kosh, on Jul 7 2003, 01:07 PM, said:

Those who do this are in the manority, but the manority is very annoying.
Is that a misspelling of "majority" or "minority"?
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#8 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:25 AM

QueenTiye, on Jul 7 2003, 06:07 PM, said:

Sure!  I have a bit of advice...

don't argue.

You be the bigger person.  If you start by understanding THEIR POV, then you will know that they THINK they are doing you a favor by constantly trying to convert you.    So - let them do you the favor, say thank you, and go about your business. If you really want to help put in in perspective for them - tell them exactly what you are doing.  Say "I realize that you are fulfilling the requirements of your faith according to your understanding, by trying to convert me.  I'm willing to listen to you once, and then I hope that you can respect me enough to let it alone after that..."

QT
Good advice. Doesn't go over well at the parties, though. That's usually my last tactic until I have to leave and zen out with my emergency Vivaldi music in the car... See, most of this conversion stuff usually happens when I'm with friends, or at a family gathering. My mother's family is 50% Christian, 50% Catholic. The debates can get ugly between them, then add me and my father...

Pointing out that continually trying to convert me is not respectful, though, that one might work...I don't think like that, you see....

Good advice.

Lil wrote:

Lil

I have yet to meet one who isn't. Unless you are?

Kosh wrote:

The problem comes from so many of them being taught to do exactly what LZD is ranting about. A place I used to work has had to tell Christians to keep it to break time and lunch time because they were disturbing people who were working. Those who do this are in the manority, but the manority is very annoying.

That's interesting. Very interesting indeed...

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:26 AM

^

Can't keep an editor down....;)

I suspect it's "minority" but that's just me.

Lil
Posted Image

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:28 AM

I thought he was specifying only the Christians that live in manors? :crazy: :lol:

Editing to add:

Read LoP's post.  You just met one (if you hadn't known him already...)

Edited by QueenTiye, 08 July 2003 - 05:30 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:37 AM

Well I was not going to be the first to jump in.  Thanks LOP for doing it. I never know if the water is suppose to be cold or boiling hot.

I am sorry L.Z.D. that you ran into these people they are a small group who make up for it with being vocal.

I do not preach or try to convert so go enjoy what everfaith it is that you have.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:38 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 7 2003, 01:22 PM, said:

Can't keep an editor down....;)
Hey, it's one letter difference either way. I didn't want to presume.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#13 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:41 AM

G1223, on Jul 7 2003, 01:33 PM, said:

I never know if the water is suppose to be cold or boiling hot.
It starts cold, and the heat gets turned up so slowly you don't even notice when it's boiling.

Then it's too late.

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:42 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 11:21 AM, said:

LZD, meet LOP.:D

Lil
Posted Image

#15 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:44 AM

LoP wrote:

These people that harass you are wrong in the way they handle things. A true Christian would not hate you. True Christians do try to show others the way we have found, but it should NEVER be done in hate or anger. And telling someone they are going to hell unless the believe is very wrong. I believe only God will decide that. I imagine many so-called-Christians will be very surprisd when they are forced to stand in judgement in front of Christ.
I try to live the life that Jesus set before me and allow others to see that. if they are curious, I will tell them what I believe and why. I don't like to get into arguments over it since a person who wants to argue has no desire to learn. Besides, I can not articulate my belief as well as others do.

Wonderful words. You haven't met any members of my mother's family, though, I guess.  :wacko: Tell them they are so-called Christians and whooooo-hooo, book a plane out of the country for a few days. Although, they fit your description of the "so-called Christian" marvelously.

I am sadden by the out and out negative feelings I get here from non-Christians toward Christians. I do blame these so-called-Christians for much of this, but we each are guilty when decide to promote it. It's the same with the political threads. I see hate and mistrust on both sides and it is depressing.

I agree with you there, the world presents way too many opportunities for rifts between the people who live here. May I point out that the negative feelings between Christians and non-Christians go both ways in my case, and I wouldn't have any negative feelings if it weren't for certain annoying habits.  

Now, you seem to be one who won't shower me in stuff I've already heard and don't want to hear again. I do not have any such negative feelings towards you, LoP, just for being a Christian. You sort of imply that I would.

Edit: All right! I've met 2 Christians who aren't of the:

"our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.

Hello LoP and hello G1223. Absolutely spiffing to meet you.

And, um, water? I think it's lukewarm. I don't like cold or boiling, myself.  ;)

Edited by Lyric Z D, 08 July 2003 - 05:52 AM.

#16 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:50 AM

And yet the attitude I see isn't much different than the one held by my grandmother, who had no problem saying that members of a certain racial minority were largely criminals--but their neighbors back in Chicago who were also members of that minority were "very, very nice people" about whom she'd never say a bad word.

I just have a hard time with the attitude that says "All [insert identity group] are jerks! Oh, you're one of those? Well, for you I'll make an exception."

I may not be a big fan of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson, in fact, most of the time I wish they'd just pipe down, but they and I are both part of the group called "Evangelical Christians," and when people slam them for their beliefs, I feel a bit slammed myself.

Edited by Drew, 08 July 2003 - 05:53 AM.

#17 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:50 AM

Hi LZD.

Well, usually when people have these bad experiences like you have had they do tend to lump all Christians together. I'm very happy to hear you do not and I respect you for that. Thank you for saying so here!! :)

Now....where is that family? ;)

#18 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:54 AM

Lover of Purple, on Jul 7 2003, 06:46 PM, said:

Now....where is that family? ;)
Don't go looking for trouble. They're not safe.

#19 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:57 AM

Drew, on Jul 7 2003, 06:46 PM, said:

And yet the attitude I see isn't much different than the one held by my grandmother, who had no problem saying that members of a certain racial minority were largely criminals--but their neighbors back in Chicago who were also members of that minority were "very, very nice people" about whom she'd never say a bad word.

I just have a hard time with the attitude that says "All [insert identity group] are jerks! Oh, you're one of those? Well, for you I'll make an exception."

I may not be a big fan of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson, in fact, most of the time I wish they'd just pipe down, but they and I are both part of the group called "Evangelical Christians," and when people slam them for their beliefs, I feel a bit slammed myself.
Wait, are you saying I come off like that? I don't mean to!

#20 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:59 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 01:53 PM, said:

Wait, are you saying I come off like that? I don't mean to!
No, no . . . I'm speaking generally of a trend I notice whenever these subjects come up.

Well, maybe a little . . .  :blush:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Christianity and Hinduism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users