Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:05 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 10:50 AM, said:

Lover of Purple, on Jul 7 2003, 06:46 PM, said:

Now....where is that family? ;)
Don't go looking for trouble. They're not safe.
So personal shields won't help either? :D :D

Besides, danger is my middle name. Oh, wait, it's of...oopsie.  :blush:

#22 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:05 AM

Drew, on Jul 7 2003, 06:55 PM, said:

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 01:53 PM, said:

Wait, are you saying I come off like that? I don't mean to!
No, no . . . I'm speaking generally of a trend I notice whenever these subjects come up.

Well, maybe a little . . .  :blush:
Gee, thanks.  ;)

I really don't mean to, though. I'm not making an exception for LoP for no reason other than the fact that he's an Ex Isler and therefore an okay person (as we all have to agree), but because he's not imposing beliefs on me, which is the entire point of my rant above.

I don't categorize Christians as a bunch of belief-stamping converting machines, I'm just saying I haven't met many who aren't.

#23 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:08 AM

Lover of Purple, on Jul 7 2003, 07:01 PM, said:

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 10:50 AM, said:

Lover of Purple, on Jul 7 2003, 06:46 PM, said:

Now....where is that family? ;)
Don't go looking for trouble. They're not safe.
So personal shields won't help either? :D :D

Besides, danger is my middle name. Oh, wait, it's of...oopsie.  :blush:
Cute. And, no, shields won't help either. When addressing Lyric's reletives, one must always say "sir", "ma'am", and "May I live this time, please?"

#24 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:20 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 11:40 AM, said:

Edit: All right! I've met 2 Christians who aren't of the:

"our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.
Actually, you've met 3, Lyric Z D. I don't force my faith down anyone's throat ... and you can ask Lil and Rhea if you'd like to confirmation.

Yes, some folks are annoying; but you shouldn't lump all "Christians" under one umbrella, anymore than I should lump all Hindu's/Moslems/New Agers under one umbrella. Being a member of a particular religion, doesn't mean we are all the same.

My big annoyance is with the young men who knock on my door at least once a week. Their temple is across the creek from us (around the block - 2 corners) ... and we are prime pickings. I have contacted the folks at the temple, and asked not to be included in their door-to-door visits, but it doesn't work. So, do I lump all Mormon's under this same annoying umbrella? No! One of my dearest friends is a very devout Mormon. Her husband is a Bishop in their local temple. She and I agree to disagree on religion - but I love her to pieces, and she feels the same.

So be polite, say no thank you I don't wish to listen and go on about your business. It's good training for the future, because you'll meet obnoxious folks in all walks of life.  :p

kimmer

edited to correct improper grammar. :)

Edited by kimmer, 08 July 2003 - 07:03 AM.

#25 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:29 AM

Hello, kimmer. Nice to meet you.  ;)

Yes, the chaps who come to your door can be rather annoying, can't they?

So be polite, say no thank you I don't wish to listen and go on about your business. It's good training for the future, because you'll meet obnoxious folks in all walks of life.

Too true.... :p

#26 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:44 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 11:01 AM, said:

I don't categorize Christians as a bunch of belief-stamping converting machines, I'm just saying I haven't met many who aren't.
Its because they aren't as vocal/in your face. They'd have to do that to be well noticed by you, but if they do that they are vocal and in your face again, and annoying :D Round and round we go ;)

The way I identify Christains (that aren't in your face) is paying carefull attention. On the bus the other day I meet a really nice young woman. She happened to be wearing a cross. We happened to get on the topic of the legalization of Gay marriages in Canada. Now its illrelevant if she agreed or disagreed with me, but how we both treated eachother with respect in this conversation.

You've obviously had a bad experience with Catholic/Christainity because of your family though  :unsure: My best friend is a Catholic, and I'm anything but, but we love eachother :) We, at times have completely disagreed, agreed, disagreed and agreed on different aspects of an issue, or found we were very much two sides of the same coin.... :D And we are always able to discuss any issue, without the slightlest bit of personal attacks :) Heat maybe ;) but never personal attacks :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#27 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:45 AM

kimmer, on Jul 7 2003, 11:16 AM, said:

Yes, some folks can be annoying; but you can't lump all "Christians" under one umbrella, anymore than I can lump all Hindu's/Moslems/New Agers under one umbrella. Being a member of a particular religion, doesn't mean we are all the same.
Actually you can, its just extremely short sighted  :angel:

- Masha Gessen

#28 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:56 AM

Make that four!

Actually, I'd be willing to bet you've met lots of Christians that don't force their faith down your throat, just because if they're like me, they don't say much of anything about their faith, unless you ask them about it.

(Actually, using the word 'Christian' in a traditional sense is somewhat stretching the term when it comes to me, but we won't get into that)

Regardless - Christians (not to mention any actively proselytizing religions) who beat others over the head with their brand of faith get to me just as much as they do you, I assure you.  

There was no angrier moment in my year so far than when I was running so I wasn't late for a final exam, and two Jehovah's Witnesses stopped me to talk about God.

As I recall I snapped something about God wanting me to do well on my exam, and running past them ;)

I dunno where this tangent came from... anyhow - long story short - Don't let active proselytizers get you down, they get the rest of us down too ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#29 ElJay

ElJay

Harperchondriac

• Islander
  • 4,821 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 06:56 AM

{{{{{Lyric}}}}}  Make it 5 (so far.)  I would much rather speak or spend time with someone who is devout to *whatever* faith they follow than someone who pays mere lip-service to mine.  I happen to be a Christian, but you wouldn't believe how many Christians I've come into conflict with because I don't follow their 'brand.'  For instance I know one lady who jumps all over me whenever I say something along the lines of, "Karma works."  She's all over Muslims for being intolerant of Christians, but can't see that she is just as intolerant, herself.  People have been telling me I'm going to burn in hell since I was about 12 because I speak my mind.  It is riduculous; as LoP said, I think a lot of folks are in for a surprise one of these days.  And I've noticed over the years that the world's great religions have many, many similarities--concepts like 'the gloden rule,' or 'Karma,' or simply, "what goes around, comes around."  All of them seem to be about being, or at least trying to be, the best person you can be, about treating others well, about living up to our highest ideals rather than down to our lowest natures.

Personally, I wish you well.  Oh, as an aside, my husband found an original way to shut some of the big-mouths up; he's part Cherokee indian and told one very persistant person that he believed in Ka-dah, the great Spirit and that he planned to spend the afterlife chasing fat buffalo all day and squaws at night.  Not Politically correct, but the guy never bothered him again... :alien:   Whatever works.

Edited by ElJay, 08 July 2003 - 06:57 AM.

US VETERAN AND PROUD OF IT!

Chivalry is a matter of both deeds and words.

#30 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:00 AM

sierraleone, on Jul 7 2003, 12:41 PM, said:

kimmer, on Jul 7 2003, 11:16 AM, said:

Yes, some folks can be annoying; but you can't lump all "Christians" under one umbrella, anymore than I can lump all Hindu's/Moslems/New Agers under one umbrella. Being a member of a particular religion, doesn't mean we are all the same.
Actually you can, its just extremely short sighted  :angel:
LOL - improper grammar corrected.  :p

#31 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:13 AM

Drew, on Jul 7 2003, 02:20 PM, said:

Kosh, on Jul 7 2003, 01:07 PM, said:

Those who do this are in the manority, but the manority is very annoying.
Is that a misspelling of "majority" or "minority"?
A miss speeling of Minority, it's been one of those days.
Can't Touch This!!

#32 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:17 AM

^^ (two posts up actually, Kosh slipped in before me) just pointing out a fact, didn't think of it as grammer. Parents tell their kids all the time they can't do things, the kid could usually.... though s/he would probably get in deeper trouble ;) If  you do what you want, then you pay the price ;) :)

Edited by sierraleone, 08 July 2003 - 07:29 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#33 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:22 AM

Misspelling
Misspelling
Misspelling

That should help.
Can't Touch This!!

#34 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:28 AM

^ lol :D

- Masha Gessen

#35 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:41 AM

This is not a Christian bashing thread. In any way ... so please don't interpret it that way. There *are* a minority of Christians who do believe that they have to go out and convert others to their way of thinking.  Those people can make an amazing amount of impact on nonChristians - and a whole lot of that impact is bad. These Christians can be perfectly nice, good people - and most of them pro'bly are. It's just kinda difficult to like someone who is trying to convert you.

Why don't they leave me alone? Is there a problem with believing something else? I guarantee you, I looked into both before deciding which way to go. I'm sick of my Christian friends trying to convert me all the time!

I know where you are coming from. And the feeling you are having. I know have a lot of friends (and a lot of them are ExIslers) that are Christian and don't try and convert me. As a matter of fact - no one here or at the 'stream ever tried. A big thank you for that.

I didn't have any Christian family members growing up, so I can't tell you anything about that. That's hard - being pushed by people that you have to keep seeing. I wish you great patience....

I grew up in the South. In heavily Christian, mainly Southern Baptist communities.

And I was the object of curiosity where ever we moved. Did you know that there are still people that will walk up to a little kid and ask where her horns are?  Where she kept her tail? How she got shoes on cloven hooves? No? Believe.

Some of ya'll have heard the following from me before... I'm sorry for repeating it if you have...

In my high school I was only one of 4 people of my religion - I was related to one and the other two were related to each other. None of us had the same classes. I did however have many classes with a group of young Christian kids who felt it was their sacred duty to convince me of the truth as they saw it. For four years. Every day. And because of the wonders of the alphabet, one sat behind me for four years in every math and English class I was in. They were all very nice people. They were all so very concerned that I would 'burn forever' because I hadn't been saved. And told me so all the time.

Some of the teachers weren't any better. My Journalism teacher wouldn't let me use a school camera or work in the dark room because I wasn't a believer and wouldn't come to her daily Bible Study.

All but one of the Sororities at college would only accept Christian girls.

So, I became twitchy. I know for a fact all Christians aren't out to convert me. But I'm very very wary. And if any friend tries to convert me, and I explain that I'm not interested and they keep on ... they soon find themselves without me, cause I stop hanging around with them.

Right now, pretty much everything's cool. My friends accept me for who I am. My Gareth and my inlaws are cool too. His family is devout, but they don't push me.

'shana

#36 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:04 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{'shana}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

No conversion, just lots of friendship!!

#37 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:10 AM

{{{LoP}}}

Thank you :)

'shana

OK ... had to edit... a Trancer hugging a Tyrant? And the Tyrant, instead of doing violence... hugs him back? What is this world coming too?!?  :lol:

Edited by Shoshana, 08 July 2003 - 08:12 AM.

#38 Brynhilde

Brynhilde

An ardent admirer

• Islander
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:19 AM

Hmm.. I have to agree that I'm not too fond of it when the God Squad come to try to convert me, but there are people like that in every faith. I just try to remember that they obviously believe so much and with such resolve that the want to share their joy from their faith with as many people as possible. I've been approached by members of all faiths, from my family and my friends, but I let them know that as much as I respect their beliefs I'm happy as I am and I don't want to get involved with anything at this stage in my life.
"Ah, get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift..."

~ Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

#39 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:22 AM

Hey Lyric, just say what I say to the Johova Witnesses -

"If I convert then I will have to give up eating babies!"  Makes them cringe every time.

Just kidding!!!  (Although how many of you have made bacon jokes about my piggie behind my back!!!!!  I know you do, I get that a lot!)

Actually I grew up hating Catholics, my mom was raised in an area that had only one church, Catholic and that was what they went to.  The preacher was fire & brimstone and she ended up hating the religion. A Catholic church was the only church I was forbidden to step into (I did once, with my Jewish girlfriend, just to see if we would be struck by lightening or something)  The next door neighbor  boy was Catholic and would tell me and my Jewish friends we were going to hell. Hell sounded like a lot more fun anyway!

Since I grew up with very little religion when I was in my twenties I was on a mission to study every one.  I spend a lot of time with the Bay Area Sufis since they studied all religions too.  I learned how to do the whirling Dervish Sema from a teacher from Turkey.  

I read a lot about Jesus too, I wanted to understand what he was about.  I would really wish that more people would really look at what he was saying and follow his example.  Sometimes when I am in a place where I can't forgive someone or am wanting to hurt them because they hurt me, I ask myself "What would Jesus do"  Then I take a deep breath and do my best to follow the example he set.

My only problem with some Christians is when they try to judge me because I am not in a church the way most people are.  That doesn't mean I am not deeply spiritual because I am.  I just find it so personal that my relationship to the Divine is unique to me and really indescribable.  I think if going to a certain church works for someone, fantastic, they should go.  I guess I may be more like the folks that hung out with Jesus when he was alive, since they had no church other that outside in nature, which is where I like to be best.

My neighbor who is an Episcopalian just got a job in a Sufi Bookstore.  He said to me that he thought folks coming in would freak seeing the cross he wears.  He is under the impression that Sufism is mostly an off shoot of Muslim.  I told him, "no way"  Sufis embrace the teachings of Christ completely.  They just don't think he was the only teacher, they embrace Buddah, Krishna, Mohammad, Lao Tzu and on and on.  When I used to do Sufi dancing we would use chants from all religions, as they are all seen as paths to the Great Spirit.

So I guess I would say I am okay with all religions unless someone is using one to promote hate and murder.  That is where I draw the line.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#40 Han

Han

When all else fails, use fire.

• Islander
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:33 AM

Two words: Electric Tazers.  :p  :D

Devout Follower: "Have you heard the word of God?"
                            "-zzzzhzhzzhhh!"
                            (Blessed Silence)

Problem solved.  ;)

(Kidding!...Probably..)

--
Han
Han

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Christianity and Hinduism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users