Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

I'm sick of this!!!

Religion Christianity and Hinduism

  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

    Mustang Man

  • Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:36 AM

Hankuang, on Jul 7 2003, 01:29 PM, said:

Two words: Electric Tazers.  :p  :D

Devout Follower: "Have you heard the word of God?"
                            "-zzzzhzhzzhhh!"
                            (Blessed Silence)

Problem solved.  ;)

(Kidding!...Probably..)

--
Han
Unless he's a BIG person and takes it away.

"Repent or......................."  "-zzzzhzhzzhhh!"

Yep, that would be my luck. :D

#42 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:15 AM

{{{LZD}}} {{{'shana}}}

When I was at college several Christians tried to convert me and while we had some fascinating discussions on a wide range of topics there was nothing I believe that could have driven me further away.

A friend of mine has an uncle who invites Jehovah's Witnesses into his house, they're usually in there for about 2 hours and then they can't leave the place fast enough. We've never actually asked what he does to them - I don't think we dare!

I'm an atheist but I have a great deal of respect for people's beliefs.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#43 G1223

G1223

    The Blunt Object.

  • Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

I guess it's the Hoosier in me and most folks around here do not give a damm about other folks going or not going to church. Most folks around here feel that if you push your religion off on others that you are going to get an earfull back from the convertee and the others in your church.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#44 Nikcara

Nikcara

    confused little imp

  • Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:14 PM

I've had my share of people trying to shove their beliefs down my throat, and typically the ones who try are Christian, but I've experianced other religions trying to do that as well.  For a while (I'm a bit ashamed to admit) it turned me heavily anti-Christian, and then just anti-monothesism.  There were even a couple people who tried to convert me who didn't know the Bible as well as I did, and I just didn't take well to that at all (I mean, if you're going to try to convert someone you should at least know your own holy book!).

However, I have mellowed out in many ways, and realized that not all Christians are of the fire-and-brimstone brand.  So now I just don't care what belief someone holds until I hear 'if you don't believe in my god then you're going to hell' at which point the person either A) gets ignored or B) gets an earful, depending on my mood

#45 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:18 AM

kimmer, on Jul 7 2003, 12:16 PM, said:

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 11:40 AM, said:

Edit: All right! I've met 2 Christians who aren't of the:

Quote

"our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.
Actually, you've met 3, Lyric Z D. I don't force my faith down anyone's throat ... and you can ask Lil and Rhea if you'd like to confirmation.

Yes, some folks are annoying; but you shouldn't lump all "Christians" under one umbrella, anymore than I should lump all Hindu's/Moslems/New Agers under one umbrella. Being a member of a particular religion, doesn't mean we are all the same.

My big annoyance is with the young men who knock on my door at least once a week. Their temple is across the creek from us (around the block - 2 corners) ... and we are prime pickings. I have contacted the folks at the temple, and asked not to be included in their door-to-door visits, but it doesn't work. So, do I lump all Mormon's under this same annoying umbrella? No! One of my dearest friends is a very devout Mormon. Her husband is a Bishop in their local temple. She and I agree to disagree on religion - but I love her to pieces, and she feels the same.

So be polite, say no thank you I don't wish to listen and go on about your business. It's good training for the future, because you'll meet obnoxious folks in all walks of life.  :p

kimmer

edited to correct improper grammar. :)
Too true. Kimmer's just...Kimmer. Besides, proselytizing amongst the heathens (oops, sorry Lil - neo-pagans :p :p) that constitute most of the rest of BAZackAshers would be futile. :p :p

Rhea, who's managed to get the Jehovah's Witnesses to stop coming around at home but who can't seem to discourage the Mormons, and hides when she sees black suits in the neighborhood.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#46 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

    Mustang Man

  • Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:48 AM

Rhea, on Jul 8 2003, 09:14 AM, said:

kimmer, on Jul 7 2003, 12:16 PM, said:

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 11:40 AM, said:

Edit: All right! I've met 2 Christians who aren't of the:

Quote

"our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.
Actually, you've met 3, Lyric Z D. I don't force my faith down anyone's throat ... and you can ask Lil and Rhea if you'd like to confirmation.

Yes, some folks are annoying; but you shouldn't lump all "Christians" under one umbrella, anymore than I should lump all Hindu's/Moslems/New Agers under one umbrella. Being a member of a particular religion, doesn't mean we are all the same.

My big annoyance is with the young men who knock on my door at least once a week. Their temple is across the creek from us (around the block - 2 corners) ... and we are prime pickings. I have contacted the folks at the temple, and asked not to be included in their door-to-door visits, but it doesn't work. So, do I lump all Mormon's under this same annoying umbrella? No! One of my dearest friends is a very devout Mormon. Her husband is a Bishop in their local temple. She and I agree to disagree on religion - but I love her to pieces, and she feels the same.

So be polite, say no thank you I don't wish to listen and go on about your business. It's good training for the future, because you'll meet obnoxious folks in all walks of life.  :p

kimmer

edited to correct improper grammar. :)
Too true. Kimmer's just...Kimmer. Besides, proselytizing amongst the heathens (oops, sorry Lil - neo-pagans :p :p) that constitute most of the rest of BAZackAshers would be futile. :p :p

Rhea, who's managed to get the Jehovah's Witnesses to stop coming around at home but who can't seem to discourage the Mormons, and hides when she sees black suits in the neighborhood.  :wacko:
I like to think of them as MIB. That way when they come to the door I start asking questions about alien, UFOs and government cover-ups.

I can't figure out why they stopped coming around. ;)

#47 Rhea

Rhea

  • Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:52 AM

^Hey, I'd never thought of that. I may try it next time.  :wacko:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH


Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#48 Jid

Jid

    Mad Prophet of Funk

  • Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 06:35 AM

^ I usually let them get to "Hi, I'm Elder Suchandsuch, and this is Elder Soandso, and we're here to talk about..."

"Jesus?  Oh yeah.  That's cool.  Look, you're wasting your time here, since I already have my own faith and it suits my needs just fine.  Have a nice day!"

"..."

*door closes*

This MIB thing sounds quite tempting though.

What I find somewhat hilarious is that often these "elders" aren't more than a couple years older than me! ;)
cervisiam tene rem specta

#49 gadfly

gadfly

    Romantic Progressive

  • Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 07:00 AM

^ Yes, and their mission is pretty much compulsory if their families can afford it.  I'm very familiar with Mormons and the missionaries as my mother, one of my sisters, and her family are Mormons so the missionaries have an open invitation to my mother's house but they come for food not conversion and have strict orders from my mom to not bother me, my other sister and husband, or my father with any thing more than pleasant converstation.

I did have an experience with one whipper snapper  ;)  elder from Idaho who was the only who knew about "potatoes" and everything else for that matter.  Fortunately, he's the exception not the rule.  Most are very polite.

#50 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 07:49 AM

Quote

Two words: Electric Tazers.  :p  :D

Devout Follower: "Have you heard the word of God?"
                            "-zzzzhzhzzhhh!"
                            (Blessed Silence)

Problem solved.  ;)

(Kidding!...Probably..)

Hah! :lol: I love that! I can think of a few cases where I really could have used a stunning weapon on these proselytizers... ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#51 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest
  • Guest

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:05 AM

My POV is a bit...extreme.

I wrote a short story called IN THE NAME OF THE ONE, which sums up my feelings about religion in general.

WARNING: It's not for everyone, and it's likely to offend people across the board.

The URL:

http://users.erols.c.../creations.html

Saul

#52 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

    Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

  • Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:10 AM

^

This is a good story folks.  It's intense and it absolutely is NOT for everyone (especially anyone who is offended by the pov that wrongs done in the name of religion are at the root of much evil in this world).

Lil
Posted Image

#53 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest
  • Guest

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:20 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 8 2003, 09:06 PM, said:

^

This is a good story folks.  It's intense and it absolutely is NOT for everyone (especially anyone who is offended by the pov that wrongs done in the name of religion are at the root of much evil in this world).

Lil
Thanks Lil.

To add a couple of thoughts...

I don't believe in ANY of the world's religions. In that sense, I'm an atheist. Do I believe there is an INTELLIGENCE behind the Cosmos? I don't know. So, in that sense, I'm an agnostic.

And there's of course the danger of trying to put my human version of "intelligence" on something where my human POVs do not apply in any shape or form.

I subscribe to the late Carl Sagan's POV:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

I don't have very good feelings about religion, to put it mildly. 9/11 permanently solidified these feelings, especially since it was 9 days after my father died, and I saw this tragedy with my own two eyes. Seeing something like this on TV, magazines or in the papers is NOTHING compared to seeing it in person. :( I was a witness to the greatest mass murder in American history.

I'm surprised I have any semblance of sanity after that time. :( I don't even want to think of the poor victims and their families. :(

Saul

Edited by Vapor Trails, 09 July 2003 - 08:22 AM.


#54 Drew

Drew

    Josef K.

  • Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:24 AM

Never mind.

Edited by Drew, 09 July 2003 - 08:29 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#55 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

    Gone

  • Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:36 AM

My personal perspective is that-- while religion can be used as a justification for the evils we perpetrate against each other-- it can also be a powerful mitigating factor against those evils, encouraging love and mercy in a world without enough of either.

Rather than pushing that belief on other people, I attempt to express it in my own writing.  So I'm sort of the other side of the coin from Vapor Trails, there... it's not my intention to offend anyone, however.  Nobody's philosophy works for everyone, in my opinion...

#56 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest
  • Guest

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:51 AM

John Burke, on Jul 8 2003, 09:32 PM, said:

My personal perspective is that-- while religion can be used as a justification for the evils we perpetrate against each other-- it can also be a powerful mitigating factor against those evils, encouraging love and mercy in a world without enough of either.

Rather than pushing that belief on other people, I attempt to express it in my own writing.  So I'm sort of the other side of the coin from Vapor Trails, there... it's not my intention to offend anyone, however.  Nobody's philosophy works for everyone, in my opinion...
Well, I expressed my beliefs in the story above. And I used to be a Roman Catholic years ago. But many experiences have changed that POV.

I'm not looking to change anyone's POV-I'm just expressing my own in this story. But I whole-heartedly agree that my POVs will anger some people. And at this point in my life-I really don't care anymore. I've seen too much twisted stuff done in the name of religion. And IMNSHO, I think religion in itself is irrational.

I'm sure people will disagree with this-but I'm not going to debate it. So to those who will disagree with this last sentence on religion-I'll respond by saying that we'll have to agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Saul

Edited by Vapor Trails, 09 July 2003 - 08:52 AM.


#57 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

    Jon's evil liberal twin

  • Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 08:56 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 01:21 PM, said:

See, most of this conversion stuff usually happens when I'm with friends, or at a family gathering. My mother's family is 50% Christian, 50% Catholic.
Catholics are Christians too, you know... ;)
"Many have an Opinion not wise; That for a Prince to Governe his Estate; Or for a Great Person to governe his Proceedings, according to the Respect of Factions, is a Principall Part of Policy..." -- Sir Francis Bacon, Essayes or Counsell Civil and Morall
"You really do have a squee problem, you know that, right?" -- John
Visit Dangerously Slow Productions @ http://www.dsproductions.org Status: Complete. Go listen to the play! And coming soon, Henry IV, Part I, now in production!

#58 Josh

Josh

    He stares...

  • Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:01 AM

Quote

And IMNSHO, I think religion in itself is irrational.

I know you don't want to debate this, but I felt it would be an interesting and good chance for me to express my viewpoint on religion. In short, I'm not religious. That's pretty obvious to anyone who knows me. Or nor will I probably ever be religious due to personal conflicts.

However, in a lot of ways, I admire the people who are... I admire that added layer of faith which can be an extra shield against the difficulties of life. The only thing I have is myself and that can be lonely... in fact, that IS lonely.

But I don't think religion is irrational. It is capable of great good just as much as it is capable of tremendous evil. Sometimes I think the people OF the religion are irrational, but often that's what humans are. Irrational. We don't always think clearly. ;)

I have always struggled to seperate my personal feelings of religion from the person who carries the label... and it is only recently that I feel that I am making progress in that front.  

Just a few thoughts. :)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#59 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

    Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

  • Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:04 AM

Vapor Trails, on Jul 8 2003, 02:47 PM, said:

I'm not looking to change anyone's POV-I'm just expressing my own in this story.
Ayup.

I've found however that sometimes when an opinion is expressed strongly enough, some people interpret that as an attempt to foist that opinion on others.  I get very impatient when people accuse me of trying to force my opinion on them when all I'm really doing is stating my opinion in strong terms.

'Tis one of the many slippery slopes of communication (especially on the internet).

Lil
Posted Image

#60 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

    Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

  • Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:06 AM

Josh, on Jul 8 2003, 02:57 PM, said:

But I don't think religion is irrational. It is capable of great good just as much as it is capable of tremendous evil. Sometimes I think the people OF the religion are irrational, but often that's what humans are. Irrational. We don't always think clearly. ;)
I don't think that something being irrational means it can't do good.:)
Posted Image



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Christianity and Hinduism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users