72 replies to this topic

#61 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:08 AM

^

Well, irrationality is also in the eye of the beholder. If I jumped in front of traffic and clucked like a chicken, my mom might think that was the most endearing thing ever while the rest of the world would think I'm an irrational moronic stupid git. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#62 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:12 AM

John Burke, on Jul 8 2003, 02:32 PM, said:

My personal perspective is that-- while religion can be used as a justification for the evils we perpetrate against each other-- it can also be a powerful mitigating factor against those evils, encouraging love and mercy in a world without enough of either.
Yes John I agree, I use my faith to enhance my spiritual life, an extremely personal life.  I hail from Evangelical roots, however, I leave the conversion of others to others. I am totally uncomfortable trying to sell my 'religion'. If the way I live my life causes questions and curiosity, I will explain the why and how of it, but I can not be a salesman for the Christian faith just because church rules demand it.  Come to think of it, I'd make a lousy salesman period.
(((((Lyric))))))

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#63 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:23 AM

Lyric Z D, on Jul 7 2003, 06:21 PM, said:

Lil wrote:

{{{{{{{{{{Lyric}}}}}}}}}}}

Just try to remember that not *all* Christians are of the "our way or the damned way" persuasion and are not all going to be in your face with the proselytizing.

Lil

I have yet to meet one who isn't. Unless you are?

Lyric, part of the reason for that is that those of us who are Christians but who are not invested in proselytizing others aren't constantly accosting people to inform them of our religion! :D

Seriously, though---one of the reasons I have started to let people know that I am a Christian is that I think that the only way those of other religions (or no religion) will know that not all Christians are inveterate proselytizers is if the "quiet Christians" start speaking up and identifyiing  ourselves.

And its not just me, or my family, or the Christians here on the board.  There are whole denominations that give active evangelism a rather low priority.

And believe me, we get approached by the door-to-door evangelists just the same as anyone else! :eek: Most of them are pretty polite, and I'm pretty polite to them.  But I've had at least one experience that I would definitely rather have gone without. :suspect:

.....And as for Jid's experience with the over-eager young men while running on his way to class....

ROTFL!! :lol:

Peridot

#64 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 09 July 2003 - 02:33 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 8 2003, 10:00 PM, said:

I've found however that sometimes when an opinion is expressed strongly enough, some people interpret that as an attempt to foist that opinion on others.  I get very impatient when people accuse me of trying to force my opinion on them when all I'm really doing is stating my opinion in strong terms.

Lil
HAH!!! Oh BOY are you on the money regarding this. This has happened to me sooooooo many times, it's not funny.  :sarcasm:

I've had people tell me that I seem to think I'm an expert on how people think-and how they SHOULD think.

I've also had people call me a "know-it-all opinionated BOOR."  :lol:

And when I say I'm not, they tell me I'm full of horse manure.  :lol:

Well, as I've said countless times-it's un-natural to want to be liked by everyone, and it's EXTREMELY silly and immature to want that.  :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned-either people accept me for what I am, or they should get lost. I don't have time for nonsense.

Saul

#65 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:01 PM

Yup.  No such thing as pleasing all of the people all of the time...and trying, especially when it involves unacceptable compromises (and imo it always does) doesn't get the desired result.  

Lil
Posted Image

#66 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:08 PM

^ This is funny because I get the same thing...... I'm told often "You think you know it all."  

And I often answer..... "No, You think, I think, I know it all" ...... It helps me to stay clear on who thinks what when I break it down like that...

Strong opinions, stated in a confident manner are often misinterpreted as enforcing that opinion on others..... It's not, or at least it usually isn't, but that is seldom understood.  And I've fallen into that trap myself upon occasion! ~sigh~

~ Cait

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#67 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:37 PM

Caitriona, on Jul 8 2003, 09:04 PM, said:

^ This is funny because I get the same thing...... I'm told often "You think you know it all." 

And I often answer..... "No, You think, I think, I know it all" ...... It helps me to stay clear on who thinks what when I break it down like that...

Strong opinions, stated in a confident manner are often misinterpreted as enforcing that opinion on others..... It's not, or at least it usually isn't, but that is seldom understood.  And I've fallen into that trap myself upon occasion! ~sigh~

~ Cait
WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ninja:
Posted Image

#68 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:51 PM

Caitriona, on Jul 9 2003, 04:04 AM, said:

Strong opinions, stated in a confident manner are often misinterpreted as enforcing that opinion on others..... It's not, or at least it usually isn't, but that is seldom understood.  And I've fallen into that trap myself upon occasion! ~sigh~
Yes, but it's pointless to try to tell these people you're not a know-it-all, because they won't listen.

As a friend once told me:

"Trying to explain/talk sense to some people is like trying to teach a pig how to read. You end up wasting your time and annoying the pig."

:eh:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 09 July 2003 - 03:52 PM.

#69 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 12:32 AM

Vapor Trails, on Jul 8 2003, 11:47 PM, said:

"Trying to explain/talk sense to some people is like trying to teach a pig how to read. You end up wasting your time and annoying the pig."
A very good reason for me to stay out of this thread.  :ninja:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#70 fallenangel

fallenangel
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 01:07 AM

Yeah i'm with all the rest of the Christians replying, as i am one myself.I am shocked that other believers have acted this way,they of all people should realise that by forcing it down your throat it would only serve to alienate you and piss you off.  I wish you could of had a better introduction to Christianity, perhaps if the people trying to convert you had explained things better then you may have had asn answer to some of your questions. Fal :eek2:

[QUOTE]If you ignore it,it won't go away,it'll just hide in the background until you are not ready and take you by surprise.

#71 Lady of Mystery

Lady of Mystery
  • Islander
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:54 PM

As a Christian, I believe what I believe and I'll leave it at that.  I don't force what I believe off on anyone, unless they truly want to know.  And if they want to learn more that is fine, if they choose to go another route that's their choice.

Tho I have noticed in life as well as here on Ex-Isles, it matters not what one's "faith" is, or what one believes, we ALL are guilty of trying to persuade others to our way of thinking. ;)

Lady

#72 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:52 PM

^ Indeed that is true, I am guilty of it myself.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#73 ReeMaven

ReeMaven
  • Islander
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:33 AM

I don't consider myself as belonging to any religion. I believe all religions have their good and bad points. I have been in similar situations with people trying to Make me feel that their beliefs are the only option.  The funny part is that a good friend of mine is a priest and he has NEVER once tried to convert me or even make me feel excluded for not sharing his beliefs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Religion, Christianity and Hinduism

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users