• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:48 AM

Remember a thread from a couple months back, when I speculated on how the massive American traffic on the BBC, Guardian, and Independent websites during the Iraq war suggested an unfilled media niche on the liberal end of the political spectrum.  Well, it looks like the Guardian itself wants to fill that niche with a customized American version.  

http://nymetro.com/n...dialife/n_8938/

This will be a fascinating experiment to see unfold.  What they're describing basically sounds like a liberal version of The Economist, with longer articles.  And I especially like that the paper looks to be writer-centric, which should make it appeal to people from across the political spectrum (don't laugh-- it's why I read The Weekly Standard.  They've got some of the best culture writing around.)

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:26 AM

I think the Brittish will be the last ones I look to for News.
Can't Touch This!!

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:27 AM

Still a bit leery of the Guardian... I think I will like this if it lives up to it's promise of being anti-establishment and independent rather than liberal.

And... can someone define this term for me?

red-state anti-liberals

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:19 AM

I think this is definitely a good thing. While the Guardian is rather loose with the facts, having more voices is always a good thing. :).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:40 PM

QueenTiye, on Jul 7 2003, 02:23 PM, said:

can someone define this term for me?

red-state anti-liberals
By "anti-liberals", they mean conservatives, or at least a particular breed thereof driven by hatred for the other side rather than positive ideas of their own (which, to the originator of that statement, is probably the only recognized kind).

Red states are the states shown on an electoral outcome map as having voted for Republicans (red being the color of blood, fire, poisonous animals, and danger warning signs/lights). They tend to be in the Midwest and Southeast, of course.

Combine them and you get a favorite stereotype of conservatives as represented by liberals: a buncha hicks gettin' all riled up about them liberals.

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:49 PM

MuseZack, on Jul 7 2003, 12:44 PM, said:

massive American traffic on the BBC, Guardian, and Independent websites during the Iraq war suggested an unfilled media niche on the liberal end of the political spectrum.
The unfilled niche certainly wasn't liberal media! :eek: That's like saying there's a shortage of water in the oceans!

The unfilled niche was foreign media. It's a pattern I've noticed before, that American news is predominantly focussed on what goes on in America or in places that concern America somehow... and that plitical conversations in internet fora with much foreign participation, the foreigners are frustrated by how little the American participants know from outside of America. And the long drawn-out events slowly leading up to the procrastinated attack on Iraq simply made more American notice the shortage of outside information and seek foreign news (in English) because the issues of the day had put foreign ideas on people's minds and made foreigners' ideas seem more relevant than they seemed before.

Those who went searching for foreign news sources mostly couldn't tell whether they were getting the leftists, rightists, or something else on some other country's unrelated spectrum. Gewd gawd, I even began my foreign-news quest at the BBC! (Bash/boff/bugger/boil/browbeat the Bluddy Colonials)

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:45 AM

Delvo, on Jul 7 2003, 10:36 PM, said:

QueenTiye, on Jul 7 2003, 02:23 PM, said:

can someone define this term for me?

red-state anti-liberals
By "anti-liberals", they mean conservatives, or at least a particular breed thereof driven by hatred for the other side rather than positive ideas of their own (which, to the originator of that statement, is probably the only recognized kind).

Red states are the states shown on an electoral outcome map as having voted for Republicans (red being the color of blood, fire, poisonous animals, and danger warning signs/lights). They tend to be in the Midwest and Southeast, of course.

Combine them and you get a favorite stereotype of conservatives as represented by liberals: a buncha hicks gettin' all riled up about them liberals.
Oh.  :angry: Well, that's just rude.  I felt rather than knew the insult implied...  What is wrong with just calling people conservatives if that's what they are? :angry:

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 01:00 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 7 2003, 07:15 PM, said:

I think this is definitely a good thing. While the Guardian is rather loose with the facts, having more voices is always a good thing. :).
The last thing we need is another voice that is loose with facts. We have plenty on this side of the pond as it is.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Journalism, The Guardian

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users