5 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:59 PM

http://story.news.ya.../od_nm/bulls_dc

Animal rights activists stripped naked to protest against the running of bulls through the streets of Pamplona, condemning one of Spain's most famous traditions as cruel to animals.

Activists from all over Western Europe had planned to run nude along the route for the annual bull runs, but police in the northern Spanish city said the protest was unauthorized and blocked their way.

---------------------------------------------

It sounds like people with, waaay too much time on their hands. :wacko:  :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:08 PM

how does being naked have anything to do with bull runs?  Or is this an excuse to run naked through the streets of Spain?

I'm ambivalent at best about the bull run, but PETA is so annoying I don't think many people take them seriously.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:12 PM

Maybe they should save their protests for a national pasttime spectator sport that involves killing bulls slowly and painfully as crowds watch in appreciation.

:glare:
Posted Image

#4 bandit

bandit

Bond, Fuzzy Bond

• Islander
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:12 PM

Corect me if i am wrong, but the majority of the people who do the bullfighting are men, and since when did stripping stop a man from doing what he wants?
at teh worst it will make him mad at you, if youare another man, and if he is not homosexual.
Even most homosexual men don't mind seeing a woman strip.
Whats the point? "I'm fat and ugly and want you to let the bulls out now so they can kill me in their mad rush?"

#5 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:22 PM

It's strictly a publicity stunt for PETA.

After all, this is the organization who, when a donkey was used to carry explosives in a terrorist act in the Middle East, they raised an uproar about the donkey, but when asked about the 20 people that were killed in the same explosion, said, "Those are human deaths, we're not concerned with them."

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,199 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:32 PM

Now if  they did this during the actual running of the bulls  :devil:  :p  ;)  :D  :eh:  :Oo:  :hehe:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Europe, Spain, 2003, Protest, Running of Bulls

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users