Mental Health Multiple personalities 2008

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Given that God is supposed to be benevolent, I would imagine that God would recognize the insanity defense.  A person with DID is mentally ill and probably a victim -- either of child abuse or of manipulation by fame-seeking therapists -- and probably can't be considered truly responsible for his or her actions.  It would be a very cruel and vindictive God who'd send people to hell for things they did while mentally ill.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#22 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:55 AM

View Postsierraleone, on Oct 20 2008, 08:23 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Oct 20 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on Oct 20 2008, 07:56 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Oct 20 2008, 10:51 AM, said:

View PostChristopher, on Oct 20 2008, 07:13 AM, said:

To a large extent, mental illnesses are often just exaggerated forms of normal thought processes.
Interesting way to put it.  From my own experience of PTSD, I recognize a distinct up side as well as the better known down side, but find it hard to explain.

That's my thought too, I've been reading a lot about some particular disorders recently. I think they are exaggerate forms of normal thought processes, you could put it on a bell curve if you could quantify it, and the people society determined "mentally ill" in society are at one or the other end of the bell curve. For that particular variable(s) on that human facet anyways. Doesn't mean they are at the end of the bell curve for all human variables by any means.
Did you know that learning to read at a very young age is considered a mental disability by some?  Can't remember what it's called, something like hyperliteracy.    :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's the translation of it I think. Hyperlexia is the term. Not neccessarily a mental disability, but at the far top end of the bell curve, instead of the bottom. They can both be seen as disorders depending on how they affect a person's function. For something like this that gives four short paragraphs in wikipedia, I don't really trust it, but they say that hyperlexia may be co-morbid in some cases with Autism Spectrum Disorders (which means maybe as high function as Aspergers). That these kids sometimes have trouble's with communicating verbally, but often make great strides between ages of 4-5, so if true, parents may not think much on it as their kid gets older.
Hyperlexia, of course, thank you.  I was stunned when I saw it on a list of disorders back in the 90s.    :unsure:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#23 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 20 2008, 09:34 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Oct 20 2008, 11:15 AM, said:

Did you know that learning to read at a very young age is considered a mental disability by some?  Can't remember what it's called, something like hyperliteracy.    :rolleyes:

Well then I guess that's a third way I'm loony, because I was reading at age three.  I literally cannot remember a time when I couldn't read.  As a kid, I just assumed everyone could.  When I was 4 or 5 and a neighbor a year older than myself said she couldn't read, I thought she was lying.
I was reading at three too.  I taught myself, following along as adults read aloud to me.  I especially remember sitting in Grandpa's lap, watching the words he pointed to as he read me the comics.  The first word I could read by myself was milk, asking "Mommy, what's this letter?" while looking at the milk bottle on the table.  

Good times.   :)
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

View PostNonnyHusseinRegina, on Oct 21 2008, 09:02 AM, said:

I was reading at three too.  I taught myself, following along as adults read aloud to me.

That's the way I learned, and I've been told by an education-major friend that that's the preferred way to do it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#25 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

View PostChristopher, on Oct 21 2008, 07:43 AM, said:

View PostNonnyHusseinRegina, on Oct 21 2008, 09:02 AM, said:

I was reading at three too.  I taught myself, following along as adults read aloud to me.

That's the way I learned, and I've been told by an education-major friend that that's the preferred way to do it.
It's certainly worked well for me.   :happy:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mental Health, Multiple personalities, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users