• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The rate of new cases of diabetes soared by about 90 percent in the United States in the past decade, fueled by growing obesity and sedentary lifestyles, U.S. health officials said on Thursday.

Diabetes experts said the findings show there is no end in sight to the diabetes epidemic.

Newly diagnosed cases of diabetes rose to 9.1 per 1,000 people annually between 2005 to 2007, up from 4.8 per 1,000 from 1995 to 1997, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The most common form of diabetes, type 2 diabetes, is closely linked to obesity and has become increasingly common in recent decades as more people become obese. An estimated 90 percent to 95 percent of the new cases are type 2 diabetes as opposed to type 1 diabetes, also called juvenile diabetes.

Two of my sisters, my Brother, an Aunt and a Brother-in-law are all diabetic. Aunt had it the worst, and I think that it contributed to her death, along never following Dr's orders. My own Doctor is on my case now that I've gained back 30 of the 60 that i had lost. I've dropped 6 pounds since the visit last week. I still get no exersize outside of work. I do get some walking in here, but I don't think it's enough to help.  I'm going to have to break ot Dads old exersize bike, or get the old treadmill from out of mothballs. Diabetes scares me more then even the heart Disease that runs in the family. Diabetes destroys your organs over time.

Get some exersize and eat right.
Can't Touch This!!

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

Keep at it, Kosh, and I don't blame you for being determined to fight it. Diabetes complicates everything as you get older.  I've been lucky (*knock on wood*) but some of my friends and family have not--and not from obesity but from genetics, apparently. Most worrisome is my cousin's daughter, who has been an insulin-dependent diabetic since she was a toddler....We just hope for a cure. And stem-cell research is promising in that regard.

So good for you. Diet and lifestyle really can help and you're doing the smart thing.

I'm going to have to break ot Dads old exersize bike, or get the old treadmill from out of mothballs.

Yep. With winter coming on, a treadmill and some music actually can give you a nice break each day. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

View PostKosh, on Oct 30 2008, 09:03 PM, said:

I still get no exersize outside of work. I do get some walking in here, but I don't think it's enough to help.

Joint a gym. Seriously. I was the same way; I would walk 2 miles a day as part of my commute, but kept gaining weight. I have a 2 1/2 hour daily commute (round trip) and always said I didn't have the time to go to a gym. I made time. I re-prioritized things. I've had a cold for a week, so I haven't done much, but on most days, I'll spend 1.5 hours at the gym with weights, treadmills and elliptical machines. In the last couple of months I've gone from 15 lb. dumbbells for bicep curls back up to my 25s. Honestly, I haven't lost much weight, but I've lost fat and built muscle. Definitely a difference. Can't wait for this cold to be over so I can get back into my routine.

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The rate of new cases of diabetes soared by about 90 percent in the United States in the past decade,

Say it with me, please: high. fructose. corn. syrup.   :headshake:

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostScottHusseinEVill, on Oct 30 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The rate of new cases of diabetes soared by about 90 percent in the United States in the past decade,

Have you seen the commercials lately that roughly go:

Girl: Here, have a bite of this popsicle.
Guy: No, I don't think so.
Girl: No, really. Have two bites.
Guy: But isn't it full of high fructose corn syrup?
Girl: So?
Guy: Well, you know what they say about it.
Girl: What?
Guy: Duhhh...
Girl: That it's made from corn? That it's totally fine in moderation?
Guy: Wow! You only brought one popsicle!
*laughter*

I always mean to look it up after it airs, but I never do. I think I will now....

Edit: I found the ad on youtube. My script is actually fairly close, so I guess I watch way too much TV...

Edited by Lyric Hussein Delphini, 30 October 2008 - 05:09 PM.

#6 Mr. Synystyr

Mr. Synystyr

Watching from the shadows...

• Islander
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

View PostScottHusseinEVill, on Oct 30 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

That's why I make my margaritas with pure cane sugar.  ;)
Feel the velvet darkness caressing you...

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

View PostLyric Hussein Delphini, on Oct 30 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

View PostScottHusseinEVill, on Oct 30 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

Have you seen the commercials lately that roughly go:

No, I hadn't seen those.  DAMN--They obviously hired the agency that does all Big Oil's ads.  Unreal.

View PostMr. Synystyr, on Oct 30 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

View PostScottHusseinEVill, on Oct 30 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

That's why I make my margaritas with pure cane sugar.  ;)

good man!

#8 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

I gave up soda some time ago. I've had two in the last four years. My tea at home is have cane sugar and half splenda. I've been spending some time at the local Applebees. I do love Cabernet, but eating better has made a big difference, and Applebees has some very good Weight Watchers meals.

I've been to Subway aned eaten Teriyaki Chicken subs, with lo cal mayo. That much has helped, and the wine hasn't seemed to hurt.

We havew a workout romm at the office. Some tread mills, some weights and open space for Exercise. I havce avioded using it because of the waver I'd have to sign, but i think I'll bite the bullit and sign the darn thing and make use of the room.

Some day, I even have hope of learning to spell.

Edited by Kosh, 30 October 2008 - 05:50 PM.

Can't Touch This!!

#9 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

View PostScottHusseinEVill, on Oct 30 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

No freaking kidding.  I didn't realize how horribly over-sweetened everything is until I switched from drinking regular pop to Coke Zero.  My tastebuds have adjusted now, and I've had to drop several things out of my diet entirely because I couldn't stand how sweet they were.  One of the big switches was from regular "granola" bars to Kashi bars.  Less sweet, different kind of sweetener, and much more crunchy and tasty.  And I can't stand normal popsicles anymore.  And the lemon curd you can find at the grocery store is all gross and syrupysweet.  (Thankfully, there's a British import store in town that carries the good stuff.)

The most bizarre thing that I've nearly had to give up because it's too sweet?  Spaghettios.  Which I've loved since I was a little kid.  If you dump enough spices in them and add something saltier (which is bad, because they're already high in sodium), they're tolerable.

Kosh--you're lucky your company has one of those.  The company I work for offers discounts for gym memberships at one chain....which doesn't have any branches in a 300 mile radius.  :eh:

#10 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,348 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yes, lots of stuff is high in sugar.  The reason is because that is what sells.  People like it.  They like it because it tastes good.  

I have a sweet tooth myself and I'm not ever planning on giving up my beloved soft serve ice cream.  I don't have it all the time but if I want it I deserve it.  If I feel like having some cake, pie or candy I will.  I don't live on it but I don't see why I should deny myself what I like just because diabetes runs in my family and I might get it at some future date.  So, what?  I've got asthma already now and we're all going to die of something someday anyway.

For the record, all the diabetics I know or have known have cheated.  I don't know any diabetic who ever followed the diabetic diet to the fullest extent.  I can get why. it sounds horribly bland and ech!  

I will live my life the way I want and when I die, I die.  At least I'll die happy and on my own terms.  It's how my father went and while I miss him I have always respected that.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#11 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

We bought a wii and the wii fit for winter. I've been walking every day and completely cut out pop and junk food. Gotta try and stay healthy for as many years as I can. BTW...I'd recommend the wii fit, it works you out (aerobics, yogo, strength and balance) and it doesn't bore you to death.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

My Doctor tells me that more people get Fatty Liver, the stage before sclerosis, from being overweight than from alcohol. Faty Liver will then move on to sclerosis of the liver.

I was at 230 this morning. I need to be 200.
Can't Touch This!!

#13 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

Is there research showing that high-fructose corn syrup is more likely to cause diabetes than consuming an equivalent amount of cane sugar? (By "equivalent," I mean the amount of sweetener required to produce a given sweetness.)
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

View PostLin731, on Oct 30 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

We bought a wii and the wii fit for winter. I've been walking every day and completely cut out pop and junk food. Gotta try and stay healthy for as many years as I can. BTW...I'd recommend the wii fit, it works you out (aerobics, yogo, strength and balance) and it doesn't bore you to death.

I'm seriously thinkin' about it, Lin.  What did it run you all-tolled?

#15 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

View PostPalisade, on Oct 30 2008, 08:31 PM, said:

Is there research showing that high-fructose corn syrup is more likely to cause diabetes than consuming an equivalent amount of cane sugar? (By "equivalent," I mean the amount of sweetener required to produce a given sweetness.)

I haven't seen it, but Frutose is whats in almost everything you buy.
Can't Touch This!!

#16 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

I'm seriously thinkin' about it, Lin. What did it run you all-tolled?

Ours ran $499.00 but we got the system with the wii fit game and pad and we also got Mario Cart and the wheel.  Plus the system comes with wii sports and THAT is a alot of run and good exercise as well. We bought ours on ebay (it's still hard to find the wii in stores out here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Thx.  I just bought a new bed (and new furniture) for my new place, so it'll probably have to wait a bit, but it's definitely high on my list of thigs-I-don't-need-but-badly-want.  :)

#18 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

All this talk of spending money...unless you have good reasons to be really confident of your job security or can live on your savings for six months to a year, I'd recommend thinking hard about increasing the amount you have in your bank account(s) and short-term Treasury securities, e.g. Treasury bills and Treasury money market funds.

Exercise can be done outside, even in the winter.

I don't mean to lecture, but if you lose your job, you'll wish you had ample savings to fall back on. Then again, maybe you already have a comfortably large emergency fund.

ETA: Don't count on credit cards or lines of credit to get you through. Lines of credit can be withdrawn and interest rates can go up.

Edited by Palisade, 30 October 2008 - 10:35 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#19 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:48 PM

When I was diagnosed it was just about a year ago, on Nov 2007, my A1C at the time was 11.5 and I was at 382.

Now a year later my A1C is 5.3 and my weight is 298, not where i want to be yet but getting there.

JD'

#20 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Kick it's behind D. I've checked your thread on occasionally.

http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=51908

Keep fighting the good fight.

Exercise can be done outside, even in the winter.

My brother walks out doors almost all the time. We had an older Shopping Mall that was inside, and made a fine track, but the new owners have drasticly changed the building, opening parts of it to the outside.

March will make me 23 years on a state job. Shold i get laid off, I can cut the back part of the house off from heat and water and run the wood stove and survive a long time.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Diabetes, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users