• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Okay, okay, I have to admit it: I may have misjudged duct tape.

It was Mythbusters that did it. I've seen them build 100 ft bridges with it, strap cars down so they couldn't move (and stop a car as a barricade, and hold entire car bodies together) but I wasn't entirely impressed. On tonight's Buster's Cut they patched a boat (I've actually done myself) then built one (hull and sails ), lifted a car on the adhesive power of 100 strips, and built cannons (first potato cannons, then black powder cannons firing 18.5 lb iron balls).

You win. I can't see gaffer's tape doing *that*.

While we're on he subject of tape I've recently discovered 3M Scotch 4010, a clear double faced tape that can handle all sorts of jobs I'd usually handle with screws (4011 is a thicker opaque version that doesn't work well on smooth surfaces, but does better on brick, wood and other rough surfaces, and can be used on building exteriors -- I always thought that building signs and raised lettering were held on by screws, but apparently it's often Scotch 4011)

You live and you learn ... or you don't live long.

#22 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

I keep bumping into products that belong here, but rarely get around to posting them.

For example, I recently came across this list of 3M Specialty Tapes on the 3M website. Though nothing can replace having a sample in your own hands to examine/test, I really liked the links to Technical Specs. They often let me at least rule-out various tapes, and gave me ideas for possible uses.

Don't see what you need? Fret not. 3M makes many more types of tape that, for one reason or another, they don't consider "specialty". For example, that high-strength weather-proof double-faced tape I mentioned above for putting signs or cut-out letters on building exteriors (even brickwork) isn't listed. Then again, while flipping channels last summer, I came across an old episode of Orange County Choppers where they were using it to apply decorative plaques to the gas tank and crankcase cover. That implies that it is high temperature and *highly* weather proof (e.g. rain at highway speeds), which I'd consider a specialty tape, but since it wasn't meant for motorcycles, I guess 3M would say that this only proves that it is a powerful GENERAL purpose tape

If someone has a little time to poke around their website, i bet they could find other lists of tapes, similar to the page I linked, with dozens more entries/specs that would help your fellow Tinkerers.

3M VHB tape certainly looks like it might find some use in some future Orphic repair!

I helped install a bunch of French doors last year (I put them on my own deck, and suddenly everyone I knew wanted help installing their own. It's surprisingly easy, but definitely not a one-man job, and it really helps to have at least one person with some 3-D problem-solving skils. No two installs are identical) and was rather impressed with the Protecto-Wrap sealing/Flashing sheet we used on the exposed wood framing. It's a rubbery plastic sheet, sticky on one sise with a tarry rubbery sealing adhesive that isn't overly sticky on Day One, but dries or oxidizes over successive days to be all-but-unremovable (We has to remove some on Day Two of one project to add a little more wood to the opening, and ultimately had to burn it off with torches) It "breathes" to let moisture escape, but is self-sealing, and will seal around nails/screws driven years later, according to the manufacturer. Though it's not meant to be left exposed to the elements, it can safely be left uncovered in direct sun for up to 120 days before being covered over. I have several square feet left over, and that's probably going to be a lifetime supply for tinkering. For bigger projects? Well, I think it was only $9 for more than enough to cover all the wood in the framing around a set of full-sized French doors.

And finally, to address the other half of this thread's topic, here's a nice write-up of Kroil penetrating/loosening oil. Read the user comments, too. I still haven't tried PB Blaster (which can be found in auto parts stores), because, well, my quart of Kroil will last me until I'm old and gray, but I'm given to understand that PB Blaster dissolves rust about as well as my old standby, Naval Jelly (a pink aqueous gel of phosphoric acid) and lubricates a bit better, because it's a thicker oil. However, being thicker, it doesn't penetrate between frozen parts as well.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users