6 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hannah's Choice.

They label it the right to live her life as she chooses. And it brings tears to my eyes, but in a good way because for me this is the core of what most call the 'right to die' - for me it is inextricably intertwined...The right to live as I choose, not as some one else believes I must.

The story of a 13 year old British girl who is refusing a heart transplant because she'd already been through enough pain reminds me that when you're looking for the right answer, humility may be as essential as wisdom.

Hannah Jones's leukemia was diagnosed when she was four; she later developed heart disease, and has endured chemotherapy and nearly a dozen operations. This past summer, when doctors told her that without a heart transplant she'd be dead in six months, she refused to go through with it. "I've been in hospital too much - I've had too much trauma," she told the Guardian. She was not asserting a right to die; she was suggesting that she had a right to live on her own terms, and to decide whether the benefit was worth the cost

This is ultimately what respect for life looks like; it means respecting an individual's right to decide how she wants to live, even if that involves knowing she will die. Mercy, detached from Justice, grows unmerciful, C.S. Lewis said. But surely justice detached from mercy grows unjust.

Blessed Be Hannah, I wish that more had your strength, courage and wisdom. Your parents have raised a wonderful person.

Edited by Shalamar, 13 November 2008 - 10:15 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

I'm happy for her that her wishes prevailed, but horrified that she had to spend even one day of the time she has left with her family having to worry about being forcibly removed from them.  She sounds to me like someone quite capable of making the right decision for herself.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Forced Medical treatment??

Insanity.
Can't Touch This!!

#4 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

It is my hope that this young woman has a life (however short it may be) that is lived to the fullest.

She is wise beyond her young age.

#5 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

View PostKosh, on Nov 14 2008, 11:53 AM, said:

Forced Medical treatment??

Insanity.

Agreed.  Especially when doctors don't take  into full account the situations of their patients.

Edited by Datalyss, 14 November 2008 - 02:03 PM.

#6 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

View PostGambler, on Nov 14 2008, 11:58 AM, said:

It is my hope that this young woman has a life (however short it may be) that is lived to the fullest.

She is wise beyond her young age.

Also in agreement.

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

To live life on one's own terms, that has to be the hardest thing in the world to acomplish, given the huge and often unrecogniszed, pressures our society puts on people, especially children, who are the most malleable among us.

As some one pointed out in the thread about lieing to children and Santa Claus - how does one escape it - those pressures, the messages given - from how to look, act, buy, think, approve/ disapprove. How do we not fall prey even more? I think that too many people are unable to, the 'huddled masses,' - the lazy masses, I say, just going along with out a discerning thought in their minds...and man is an intrinsically lazy animal.

But I keep coming back to Hannah and just shaking my head in awe, and profound appreciation of this young woman who has chosen to say 'no more.'

It has always, to me, be a quality of life issue. I live with my parents now, who are in their 80's, and I see so many of their friends. Living these constrained lives, that when you hear them talk honesly, openly, you can not but get the knowledge that they aren't happy. Eating foods they don't like, doing things they don't enjoy - giving up both foods and ativities they Do enjoy - in the grips of medications that give them unpleasant side effects - just so they can live a little longer - or worse taunted/ bullied/ pressured by so called 'loving' relatives in to that 'program'  for the same reason. Quality of life, no, long life yes....I say bah humbug to that.

Sorry for that it's a bit of a rant for me, as it is a subject dear to my heart. The endless fascination with living as long as possible. And of course the incessant fear of death. IF anything I can agree with Nonny on is that the Catholic & Christain Churches had feasted on, and fostered, a fear of death for too long.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Ethics, Right to live, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users