• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:34 AM

link

It looks like this has a lot of support, and Obama plans to do it in a way that can't easily be undone, rather than just repeal the law. This will be one of many, many great things I believe this administration will accomplish.

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,196 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:21 AM

I'm glad the article included this paragraph:

"Don't ask-don't tell" was made law in 1993 after opposition ballooned to newly elected President Bill Clinton's plan to lift the military's complete ban on gay service members. The new policy stopped the practice of asking potential service members if they are gay but still required the dismissal of openly gay service members.

A lot of people see "Don't ask, don't tell" as Clinton's policy, and that's a shame.  What tends to be forgotten is that the first thing -- literally the very first piece of business that Clinton performed after his inauguration in 1992 -- was to sign an executive order that completely prohibited sexual-orientation discrimination in the military.  But Congress at the time was Republican-dominated and mounted an aggressive retaliation, drafting legislation that would've made matters even worse for gays in the military.  So "don't ask, don't tell" was a compromise Clinton was forced to settle for.  It was a powerful reminder that the president is not a monarch and can only do so much without the support of the popular will.

At the time, I saw "don't ask, don't tell" as an incremental step forward which I hoped Clinton would follow up with further gradual steps in the years ahead.  Trying to force the issue all at once triggered a strong reaction, but maybe a gentler set of nudges could move things in the right direction.  I believe that's how Clinton himself presented the compromise, as a first step he hoped to build on.  But it's been 16 years since that tentative first step and we're still waiting for the second.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#3 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

The center points out that Larson, a four-star admiral who supported the measure in 1993, has changed his view on the policy. "There were a lot of witch hunts and a lot of people were turned out on that basis," he is quoted as saying in a Palm Center release.

It will be nice to see an end to the witch hunts.  It will be wonderful to see gays able to serve their country with the honor that they deserve.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

View PostChristopher, on Nov 18 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

"Don't ask-don't tell" was made law in 1993 after opposition ballooned to newly elected President Bill Clinton's plan to lift the military's complete ban on gay service members. The new policy stopped the practice of asking potential service members if they are gay but still required the dismissal of openly gay service members.

A lot of people see "Don't ask, don't tell" as Clinton's policy, and that's a shame.  What tends to be forgotten is that the first thing -- literally the very first piece of business that Clinton performed after his inauguration in 1992 -- was to sign an executive order that completely prohibited sexual-orientation discrimination in the military.  But Congress at the time was Republican-dominated and mounted an aggressive retaliation, drafting legislation that would've made matters even worse for gays in the military.  So "don't ask, don't tell" was a compromise Clinton was forced to settle for.  It was a powerful reminder that the president is not a monarch and can only do so much without the support of the popular will.

At the time, I saw "don't ask, don't tell" as an incremental step forward which I hoped Clinton would follow up with further gradual steps in the years ahead.  Trying to force the issue all at once triggered a strong reaction, but maybe a gentler set of nudges could move things in the right direction.  I believe that's how Clinton himself presented the compromise, as a first step he hoped to build on.  But it's been 16 years since that tentative first step and we're still waiting for the second.

We'll need 10 or 20 steps to get back to 0, Chris.  Don't Ask Don't Tell (which is a myth -- they ask all the time) precipitated a purge.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

View PostChristopher, on Nov 18 2008, 09:21 AM, said:

Ah try again in 1992 it was a democratic controlled congress. It only changed in 1994 with the mid terms.

But I do think dropping the clause if for the best. I see no problem with anyone who can leagally serve being allowed to do just that.

Edited by G1223, 18 November 2008 - 11:26 AM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

As it is currently, what problems does this pose for gay people in states that allow gay marriages or civil unions for gays? If someone is either already in a legally recognized relationship with someone of the same sex, and wants to join the military.... Or is in the military and wants to get married/unionized to someone of the same sex?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

According to George Stephanopoulos' book, All Too Human, Sam Nunn (a congressional democrat) and Colin Powell, who at the time was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, share the lion's share of responsibility for blocking Clinton's attempt to let gays serve openly.

#8 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

View Postsierraleone, on Nov 18 2008, 11:22 AM, said:

As it is currently, what problems does this pose for gay people in states that allow gay marriages or civil unions for gays? If someone is either already in a legally recognized relationship with someone of the same sex, and wants to join the military.... Or is in the military and wants to get married/unionized to someone of the same sex?

That would fall under telling.

#9 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

Call me a cynic, but I think this has a hell of a lot more to do with recruitment goals than any actual realization of how morally reprehensible it is to descriminate based on orientation.

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

View Postsilverwind, on Nov 18 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

Call me a cynic, but I think this has a hell of a lot more to do with recruitment goals than any actual realization of how morally reprehensible it is to descriminate based on orientation.
I wouldn't dare, because I agree with you.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

No worries - the military also got integrated because of military needs, and not any sense of moral rectitude.  Progress happens how it does.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,196 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

The truth is, progress rarely happens based solely on moral ideals.  More often, it happens when you give people an incentive to change, or take away their incentive to resist change.  The American South didn't keep slavery around longer than the North because Southerners were less moral, but because their plantation economy was more dependent on slave labor.  The North gave up slavery when it became industrialized and had an incentive to switch to a different economic model.

So don't knock the value of pragmatic goals as a tool for bringing about improved ethics.  In general, you can improve people's morals more easily by giving them a practical reason for changing than you ever can with speeches and abstract ideals.  And once they see the practical benefits to doing the right thing, they'll be more easily convinced that it's right.  QT's right -- as long as the change happens, that's all that matters.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

^ the problem with waiting for the situation to change, besides not necessarily knowing ahead of time what is going to change things, or knowing when, is people abusing the current situation. Not to say people won't abuse the new situation, but when you're talking about equal rights, before equal rights exist *and* enforced, there is a power imbalance and those with more power have more ability to abuse the situation. Basically, when the power is imbalanced only an in-power group has the greater ability to subject others to abuse. People will carry on with the abuse after things change, but either in more secretive ways.... or at least on a more equal standing and opportunities as others ;) Checks and balances are a wonderous thing not just in governments, I figure equal rights are checks and balances for the people, all of them :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#14 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

good...one more step to ending the bigotry.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

One more campaign promise in the step to equality. . . :whistle:

I'll dare to believe it when I see him actually take steps toward doing it.  

As the explainer in chief, Obama should be able to make the case for why, in the middle of two wars, we, as a country, don't have any business turning away otherwise qualified recruits because we think they're icky.  

Gays are ready, willing and able to fight -- and we don't just forbid them from doing so openly, we purge anyone in the service who is perceived to be gay.

It's actually insane.

Edited by BklnScott, 18 November 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

^ Well Said Scott. It is insane. It's definitely in the category filed under "WTF FAIL" in my view...

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#17 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

What I don't get is they are brave enough to go out into a hail of bullets but the idea of another man seeing them naked in the shower is somehow worse.   I'm glad I didn't join the Navy when I talked to the recruiters when I was twenty.   I would have liked to have traveled around the world but I couldn't image the strain of being guarded 24/7.   They were hot though...

#18 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

View PostLiberalBob, on Nov 18 2008, 06:05 PM, said:

What I don't get is they are brave enough to go out into a hail of bullets but the idea of another man seeing them naked in the shower is somehow worse.

Hahahaha.  

Sounds like a typical male of the species to me. . .  :whistle:

#19 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

View PostChristopher, on Nov 18 2008, 02:55 PM, said:

So don't knock the value of pragmatic goals as a tool for bringing about improved ethics.
Oh, I'm all for any progress on the issue, no matter how it's acheived.  (So long as it's legal, obviously.)

My problem is with the inherent dishonesty of the media (or the think-tank) pretending this is some noble departure from policy on principles.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users