Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

Just heard it on NPR will look for a link

And here it is:

Remembrances
Watergate's 'Deep Throat' Dies At 95

Morning Edition, December 19, 2008 "Deep Throat" has died. Mark Felt, the former FBI second-in-command was 95. In 2005, Felt revealed he was "Deep Throat" 30 years after he tipped off reporters to the Watergate scandal. Steve Inskeep talks with reporter Jim Mann, who wrote an article for The Atlantic that pointed to Felt as the probable Watergate source.

Edited by Nonny, 19 December 2008 - 08:12 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

Good ridence. The guy could have and should have stepped forward and told then what he knew. Instead he did what did so he could keep his job as the number two man in the FBI and even then kept doing for Nixion whatever it was he did.

I am not excusing Nixion. I am saying this guy did all he could to keep workiong for the guy while telling a few of the things going on.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

Seems to be a lot of debate going on about whether he did the right thing by exposing the corrupt actions of the goverment, or whether he should be branded a traitor for betraying his commander in chief.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 19 2008, 05:28 AM, said:

Seems to be a lot of debate going on about whether he did the right thing by exposing the corrupt actions of the goverment, or whether he should be branded a traitor for betraying his commander in chief.
His Commander-in-Chief was, indeed, a crook, and Deep Throat was a hero.  The traitors were those who put president above country.  

I remember the day that Nixon resigned BTW.  I was on active duty in the Air Force.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 19 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

Good ridence. The guy could have and should have stepped forward and told then what he knew. Instead he did what did so he could keep his job as the number two man in the FBI and even then kept doing for Nixion whatever it was he did.
Oh yeah, cuz whistleblowers get treated SO WELL.    :rolleyes:

I am not excusing Nixion. I am saying this guy did all he could to keep workiong for the guy while telling a few of the things going on.
That's what spies do.  Effective ones.
Posted Image

#6 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

View PostNonny, on Dec 19 2008, 01:38 PM, said:

His Commander-in-Chief was, indeed, a crook, and Deep Throat was a hero.  The traitors were those who put president above country.

I don't have a particular stake in this fight because one of the few parts of American history I find bores me to tears is the whole Watergate/Deep throat thing. In fact, everything about Nixon bores me to tears for some reason. I was just commenting on that I've heard both sides argued.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

View PostGodeskian, on Dec 19 2008, 05:52 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on Dec 19 2008, 01:38 PM, said:

I don't have a particular stake in this fight because one of the few parts of American history I find bores me to tears is the whole Watergate/Deep throat thing. In fact, everything about Nixon bores me to tears for some reason. I was just commenting on that I've heard both sides argued.
Understood.   :)   It was probably more exciting to live it.   :)
Posted Image

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

Nonny this guy sat back and kept his position not for the good of the country but because he had a vested interest in it. He could have come out when congress started to ask questions and you think the democrats would have hung him out to dry? They would lionize him and praise him for decades.

He was no spy. He was a guy looking to keep his position in the FBI as secure as it needed to be.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

View PostG1223, on Dec 19 2008, 06:19 AM, said:

Nonny this guy sat back and kept his position not for the good of the country but because he had a vested interest in it. He could have come out when congress started to ask questions and you think the democrats would have hung him out to dry? They would lionize him and praise him for decades.

He was no spy. He was a guy looking to keep his position in the FBI as secure as it needed to be.
And he was a whistleblower.  Whistleblowers get screwed, no matter how much good we do.  Kudos for managing it so well.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Mark Felt, "Deep Throat", Watergate, 2008

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users