4 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

http://online.wsj.co...5971962641.html

You see them everywhere -- nurses, doctors and medical technicians in scrubs or lab coats. They shop in them, take buses and trains in them, go to restaurants in them, and wear them home. What you can't see on these garments are the bacteria that could kill you.
Some hospitals now prohibit wearing scrubs outside the building, partly in response to the rapid increase in an infection called "C. diff."
The problem is that some medical personnel wear the same unlaundered uniforms to work day after day. They start their shift already carrying germs such as C.diff, drug-resistant enterococcus or staphylococcus. Doctors' lab coats are probably the dirtiest. At the University of Maryland, 65% of medical personnel confess they change their lab coat less than once a week, though they know it's contaminated. Fifteen percent admit they change it less than once a month. Superbugs such as staph can live on these polyester coats for up to 56 days.
Until about 20 years ago, nearly all hospitals laundered scrubs for their staff. A few hospitals are returning to that policy. St. Mary's Health Center in St. Louis, Mo., reduced infections after cesarean births by more than 50% by giving all caregivers hospital-laundered scrubs, as well as requiring them to wear two layers of gloves.
Outside the hospital, C. diff is also difficult to control. It isn't killed by laundry detergents or most cleaners. Researchers at Case Western Reserve and the Cleveland Veterans Administration Medical Center found that even after routine cleaning, 78% of surfaces still had C. diff. Only scrubbing with bleach removed it.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

My mom had C. diff. before she died last year. Hopefully, more hospitals will return to laundering scrubs for their staff.

#3 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

^ Agreed. It's ridiculous not to. My mom's a nurse...she worked in an ER for years. She stopped after having me and my siblings, but a decade ago she went back to nursing, this time as triage on phonelines. Then nearly three years ago my brother was in a major paragliding accident and spent 80 days (exactly) in three separate hospitals. The hospital where he stayed in ICU the nurses said he would definitely get pneumonia...no matter what. My mom called b*llsh*t--it only happens because the staff don't do everything necessary to prevent it. Don't ask me what--I don't really know, but that's what she said. Way different illnesses, I know, but it's disheartening to know that, while they can put a lot of care into some aspects of their work, medical personnel are so lax in other areas.

And yes, my brother did get pneumonia. But that was the least of his worries at the time.
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

View Posteechick, on Jan 13 2009, 10:40 AM, said:

My mom had C. diff. before she died last year. Hopefully, more hospitals will return to laundering scrubs for their staff.
{{{{{{{eechick}}}}}}}
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

View PostAnnibal, on Jan 13 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

^ Agreed. It's ridiculous not to. My mom's a nurse...she worked in an ER for years. She stopped after having me and my siblings, but a decade ago she went back to nursing, this time as triage on phonelines. Then nearly three years ago my brother was in a major paragliding accident and spent 80 days (exactly) in three separate hospitals. The hospital where he stayed in ICU the nurses said he would definitely get pneumonia...no matter what. My mom called b*llsh*t--it only happens because the staff don't do everything necessary to prevent it. Don't ask me what--I don't really know, but that's what she said. Way different illnesses, I know, but it's disheartening to know that, while they can put a lot of care into some aspects of their work, medical personnel are so lax in other areas.

And yes, my brother did get pneumonia. But that was the least of his worries at the time.
{{{{{{{Annibal}}}}}}}

Add to the unwashed scrubs of people actually working at the hospital problem the new tactic unwelcome vendors are using to get into doctors' offices: wearing scrubs as camo.    :sarcasm:   These aggressive pill peddlers actually wear scrubs to weasel their way into offices they've been thrown out of!  We see it at my VAMC all the time.  In fact, just yesterday, while a nurse was taking my vitals, some jerk in scrubs actually interrupted us to ask for the, uh, office where the, uh, doctors and residents, uh...  The nurse asked him if he was a doctor, but her tone of voice was politely skeptical.  He actually admitted he was a vendor.  I'm sure he heard us laughing as he beat it out of there.    :sarcasm:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Hospital scrubs, C. diff., 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users