Belgium Scraps Universal Jurisdiction

Europe Belgium 2003

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:07 AM

Belgium Scraps War Crimes Law Which Angered U.S.

Belgium said Saturday it has decided to scrap a controversial war crimes law which has seen cases launched against President Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt said his new government, sworn in Saturday, has decided as one of its first acts to scrap the law which has angered the United States.

He told a news conference the move was aimed at preventing abuses of the law, which has also seen a case launched against British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

In future, the right to launch cases would be restricted to Belgians or people resident in the country. All cases apart from those involving Belgians would be dropped, he said.

The norms of international immunity would also be respected. Any cases that were launched would take into account Belgium's agreements with NATO allies and other European Union members.

All I can say is it is about time that Belgium woke up and saw the potential for abuse that existed in this law.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:09 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmm.......... that did my heart some good. Thanks for posting CJ!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Europe, Belgium, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users