2 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic Brat

Celtic Brat
  • Islander
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

http://www.thesudbur....aspx?e=1392830

http://ballastexiste...tics.org/?p=572

The woman alleges her care was withdrawn after she filed a complaint that her caregiver wasn't following her doctor's orders.

Point 1: If this is why they withdrew her care, something's not right.

Point 2: Even if a patient truly IS "difficult" or otherwise aggravating, that's no reason to deny someone needed medical care.

If anyone wants to do something to help this woman, here's some contacts who could help her.  Non-Canadians can use them too.

Sudbury MPP Rick Bartolucci
Constituency Office email:  rbartolucci.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org
Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional services email: rick.bartolucci@ontario.ca

Minister of Health & Long-Term Care David Caplan:   ccu.moh@ontario.ca

Edited by Celtic Brat, 21 January 2009 - 06:34 PM.

A state of Lostness is a powerful thing.

#2 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

I doubt we'll ever know the full story on this. The health service organization isn't talking (which they shouldn't, come to think of it - patient confidentiality and all that) and for someone who knows the patient, the blog writer is incredibly vague - though again, there's the question of her respecting the patient's privacy.

Odd, though, that the blog writer brought up serial killers and the like as people who would be drawn to such a job; that's hardly necessary. My mother was a nurse her whole adult life and a good portion of that was working at a nursing home. She dealt with a lot of people who were mentally and physically demanding and had to deal with frequent inspections from the state, who were more concerned with the paperwork and supplies than the patients.

I feel bad for this woman, but if her nurses are refusing to go to her house and give her care, there has got to be more to the story than we have been told.

#3 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

^ Those were my thoughts too. There has to be more to the story.

Hard-to-service clients such as Mettinen-Kekalainen are becoming "more the rule than the exception," he said. If they were in hospital, they would be cared for regardless of how difficult they were.

But Joly maintains there are limits in hospitals and long-term care residences to the harassment and abuse to which employees are subjected.
My mother was hard to deal with the last year of her life, I gave up, there is only so many times you can be verbally abused, told to go away, etc that one can take. It is especially hard when someone refuses to do what is needed for their care like she did. She had no friends at the end, she drove everyone away, including my brother and most everyone else in the family.

All of these situations are complicated and no one from the outside can really know what is going on.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health Care, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users