16 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 04:34 AM

http://www.news.com....5^13762,00.html

WOMEN are more likely than men to lie about their sex lives.

They are so concerned about society's dim view of female promiscuity that they routinely claim to have slept with fewer partners than they actually have.

Men are more honest, accurately reporting their true number of partners, despite social pressure to look like a Don Juan.

The findings of a US study offer the best explanation yet for a paradox that has baffled psychologists since sex surveys began in the 1960s.

Heterosexual men routinely report they have slept with more partners than do women. These figures, however, are statistically impossible - the average for both genders should be about the same.

There's more to the article. Very interesting read.

Edited by Cait, 21 September 2012 - 02:36 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 04:55 AM

:suspect: Okay, I'll bite.

Kinsey has been discredited numerous times. And why in the world would US women lie about sex???????? Because some anonymous survey would out them?  Give me a break.

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#3 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:02 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Jul 14 2003, 12:30 PM, said:

Heterosexual men routinely report they have slept with more partners than do women. These figures, however, are statistically impossible - the average for both genders should be about the same.
Someone failed statistical analysis 101.

For example, take a control group with 50 men and 50 women. If one woman sleeps with all 50 men, and we extrapolate this to stand in for society in general, we have 100% promiscuity in men, and 2% promiscuity in women. (Assuming that one sex act counts as "promiscuity.")

The writer assumes that the average should be the same because we're pretty evenly split male/female as a species. But one's simply a measure of population. There really is no reason at all that the average should be the same.

Edited by Drew, 15 July 2003 - 05:29 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:09 AM

Cak-- I'm not quite sure what you mean. As for why they would lie... I dunno.

Drew-- I see your point. I don't think it quite works that way. The averegas should be about the same, or else there's men sleeping with phantom women. My only question is how they determined that it was the women who are lying...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#5 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:19 AM

:wacko: My response was purely reactionary, I'll put my money where my mouth is as soon as I cool down and can make some sense.

Kelela
If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#6 GenesisII

GenesisII

• Islander
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:21 AM

Edited by GenesisII, 17 July 2003 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:31 AM

About 100 women in 3 groups... not exactly a huge number to draw statistics from :p

But I have to admit the concept is very cool. It is impossible to give people a questioner about "do you lie while answering questioners?" and hope for any effective results... it will lead to the inevitable and completely useless "this sentence is a lie" paradox. So the idea of comparing anonymous questioner with "lie-detector" questioner is very smart. The number of people they used sucks imo.

More than that, they used young students... in this group you would expect the women to have more experience than the men, not an equilibrium, because it is still common for them to date older men, so this cancels out only if you include older people. Or does it cancel out with the minors the male students are dating? ;)
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#8 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 06:15 AM

That's actually a miserable excuse for a sample group in such a wideranging concept.

Something Kelela said further up:  why would US women lie about such a thing?  I think the old mindset which says "women should be the spiritual paragons of our society" or some crap like that is still in effect in some places.  Basically, a lot of women are afraid that if they admit they really like sex and lots of it, they might be branded as sluts.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#9 the Pill

the Pill

I really need to come here more often.

• Islander
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:47 PM

TrancesHuggyPillow, on Jul 17 2003, 02:08 PM, said:

Basically, a lot of women are afraid that if they admit they really like sex and lots of it, they might be branded as sluts.
How you doin'?

Apologies for the humor.

I think the biggest reason for women lying about their sexual practices, is exactly as you've stated.

-the Pill

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 12:33 AM

So how many women here lied on the "When was your first time?" poll we conducted recently?  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#11 Enmar

Enmar

a Sabra

• Islander
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:29 AM

^I didn’t, and this statement is, of course, a lie :angel:
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:47 AM

Drew, on Jul 18 2003, 05:26 AM, said:

So how many women here lied on the "When was your first time?" poll we conducted recently?  :cool:
You want to do a poll on that too  :p  ;)  :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:29 AM

Drew, on Jul 18 2003, 09:26 AM, said:

So how many women here lied on the "When was your first time?" poll we conducted recently?  :cool:
so if somebody lied on that poll, on that poll, would they admit to it, and would trust them to tell you the truth, the second time around? :unsure:

I think in the end, it's something for the two poeple involved, to deal with it themselves.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:36 AM

sierraleone, on Jul 20 2003, 12:40 PM, said:

Drew, on Jul 18 2003, 05:26 AM, said:

You want to do a poll on that too  :p  ;)  :D
That's an excellent question. Let's start a poll. "Does Drew want to start a poll to see how many women lied on the 'when was your first time' poll?"

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:39 AM

LOL 'Hawk..is that going a little too far?^^

Or should we start a poll on that too? :angel:
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:45 AM

^ I like it.

Poll question: "Is the 'Hawk going too far in suggesting a poll to determine Drew's intent regarding a poll on the subject of how many women lied on the 'when was your first time' poll?"

As Rov might say, film at eleven. ;)

:cool:
“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#17 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:06 AM

Drew, on Jul 14 2003, 05:55 PM, said:

The writer assumes that the average should be the same because we're pretty evenly split male/female as a species. But one's simply a measure of population. There really is no reason at all that the average should be the same.
I agree.

The problem is that they're assuming sex is a one-on-one situation. So to speak. :)  One man could have sex with 20 women, each of whom only had sex with him.  

They'd each report one partner and he'd report 20.  That doesn't make them liars.  

Further, if the pool of sex-partners was 50 women deep, and thirty women honestly said they'd had no sex, the fact that he claimed having sex with 25 women doesn't make five of the women liars.

It's a poor survey.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sex, Sociology, Studies

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users