15 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:51 AM

http://www.guardian....,997731,00.html

The UN has refused to arrest a Zimbabwean police officer accused of torture who is currently working for it in Kosovo as a member of an international training team.

Accused by whom, you may ask?

Mr Dowa has been named by several Zimbabwean torture victims as having directed and carried out beatings with fists, boots and pickaxe handles, and as having administered electric shocks to the point of convulsions, at Harare central police station throughout 2002 and in early 2003.

In something this important, you *have* to give the benefit of the doubt to multiple allegations and at least perform an investigation.

Why hasn't the UN done anything?

"We have to dedicate our scarce resources to pressing and serious cases in Kosovo."

Super.

According to sworn testimony from victims, the torturers said they had been granted special powers by President Mugabe, and they would never be charged.

"I do my best to not think of the UN as a joke. With punchlines like this, they're not making it easy."-- Drew (paraphrase).

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 02 September 2012 - 04:02 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:54 AM

Funny.  I seem to remember you being pretty dismissive of claims of rape and cover up by Kenyan women.

I guess those ones aren't as important.

Or maybe it's because in this case the potential "bad guy" was opposed to the War?

:p
Posted Image

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:57 AM

:look:.

Lil-- I *never* opposed an investigation. I do personally find the claim of a systematic British cover-up rather unlikely. I think corruption in Zimbabwe far more likely. Either way, both claims should be looked into.

If the story had been "Kenyan women allege rape; authorities refuse to investigate", I would have complained just the same.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:00 AM

I went and exhumed the old thread:

My only post is this:

chiron777, on Jul 3 2003, 10:52 AM, said:

To dismiss this or say it is prostitutes trying to get more money from the government is almost as disgusting as the rape itself.   :glare:
Javert Rovinski Sez: But if we take that attitude, isn't it disgusting to attempt to refute any rape claim? The key word here is 'accused'...

I support this man's right to try and refute any charges brought up against him. I think any defendant has that right.  As noted, in the OTHER case there WAS an investigation, and it *is* going to court.

Lil, I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about.

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:01 AM

^

Yeah but we *also* talked about it in chat.;)

I stand by what I said.:p
Posted Image

#6 bandit

bandit

Bond, Fuzzy Bond

• Islander
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:03 AM

Concur, i do not recally anyone saying that the claims should be ignored, and these should not either.
Edit
I was concurring with Rov, i think lil is out of line, and am not going to concur with her on this.

Edited by bandit, 15 July 2003 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:08 AM

bandit, on Jul 14 2003, 02:59 PM, said:

I was concurring with Rov, i think lil is out of line, and am not going to concur with her on this.
Ask me if I care?

You think anyone who doesn't worship the American flag should be kicked out of this country.

It's unlikely there's much we're going to agree on.

Posted Image

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:11 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 14 2003, 02:57 PM, said:

^

Yeah but we *also* talked about it in chat.;)

I stand by what I said.:p
Lil-- In that case... I still have no idea what you're talking about. I'm skeptical of the claims, but I don't think I'm dismissive.

Setting that unrelated issue aside, what do you think of the UN's inaction in this case?

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:13 AM

I think that *if* the UN is the only recourse for this, that their inaction is appalling.

Lil
Posted Image

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:18 AM

^

I'd argue that whether they're the only recourse doesn't factor in.

This man is working for the UN. He represents them. If this was just some random criminal wandering around Zimbabwe, I'd see it your way.

But given that the UN is *responsible* for putting this man is Kosovo? It's their obligation to respond to any alleations with vigilance.

If they investigate and it turns out to be baseless, fine. It happens. Innocent people get accused all the time.

But it does merit an investigation, and the UN-- as his employer-- is responsible for his conduct. If a US soldier in Iraq is accused of a crime, it would be the obligation of the US to look into it. The same thing is true here.

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:20 AM

Yeah upon further reflection, you're right.  The guy is working for the UN as its representative.  I rather think they have a duty to investigate allegations of misconduct by one of their own.

Lil
Posted Image

#12 bandit

bandit

Bond, Fuzzy Bond

• Islander
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:30 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 14 2003, 04:04 PM, said:

bandit, on Jul 14 2003, 02:59 PM, said:

Ask me if I care?

You think anyone who doesn't worship the American flag should be kicked out of this country.

It's unlikely there's much we're going to agree on.

I never said that someone had to worship the flag, i said they should respect it if they live in this country, and thus enjoy the freedom and rights that it stands for.

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

bandit said:

Don't like my flag? get the frell out of my country!

Again, I stand by my previous words.  :p
Posted Image

#14 bandit

bandit

Bond, Fuzzy Bond

• Islander
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:06 AM

^ precisely my point, i never said anything about worship.

#15 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:11 AM

Oh so anyone who doesn't "like" the flag has to leave.  :p

It's just as intolerant.:p
Posted Image

#16 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:00 PM

Well what should we expect from an organization that picks Quadaffi to head human rights?  This just shows the UN is crooked from the top down the lowest henchmen.  Of course mind you they are working hard on establishing the ICC to go for international "justice" when they can't police their own ranks.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: United Nations

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users