• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:51 AM

GiGi, on Jul 18 2003, 05:11 PM, said:

Anyway, I trust some men to be jerks and some women to be idiots.  Maybe they all deserve each other!
You rock GiGi!!!!!!!!!

LOL @ Elimadate.  :D

#42 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:40 AM

][url="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/paynter/131268_paynter18.html"]Bambi Hunts paint an ungly picture of women[/url]

[QUOTE]Mike Burdick, the game company's "master hunter," was all over cable news on Wednesday slurping up his 15 minutes of fame while hyping what he calls "just good clean fun." "The majority of women have a deep-seated fantasy ... to be sought after by a stranger," Burdick told Fox. And, on MSNBC, he claimed that 80 percent of the women callers and e-mailers say it sounds like fun.[/QUOTE

There are these quotes from the Real Men spokesman:

[QUOTE]Krekelberg denied that any of the hunts had occurred on federal property, saying only that they occur on private estates in southern Nevada. He refused to say where out of fear of sabotage, noting that "there are nuts out there who would come in and throw a wrench in there."

He also asserted the women were not being mistreated, noting that they can wear goggles and helmets for protection if they wish.[/QUOTE]

There is a news article, that was mentioned to me, that says the women are now being allowed to wear helmets and goggles, but I cant seem to find it.

I have spent a couple of ours going through various message boards, and the overwhelming number of posts find this 'game' offensive for various reasons.

#43 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:02 AM

Shalamar, on Jul 20 2003, 12:33 PM, said:

"The majority of women have a deep-seated fantasy ... to be sought after by a stranger," Burdick told Fox.
Yes, because, you know, nothing says love like chasing a naked object of affection (and note my use of the word OBJECT) through the middle of nowhere, with a gun.

The majority of women, eh? So he asked two hookers and his mom. His mom said no. The hookers said it'd depend on what he was paying. Two out of three-- that's a majority!

And, on MSNBC, he claimed that 80 percent of the women callers and e-mailers say it sounds like fun.

Forgive me. He asked four hookers and his mom. Four out of five is eighty percent.

And I have to invoke what I've taken to referring to as the 'Hawk Principle: Anyone who makes a statement (in this case, "this sounds like fun") invariably makes that statement on behalf of everyone else. Except themselves. Of course it sounds like fun if you're not the one with purple two-inch welts, painted yellow and red, on your rump the day after.

"there are nuts out there who would come in and throw a wrench in there."

Yes, of course! We can't have nuts coming out into our misogynistic little fun-time and doing things like SHOOTING these women! Heaven forbid that any harm should come to his prey before he gets a chance to bring harm to her!

What noble, caring and dignified gentlemen these organizers truly must be, to have the foresight to keep 'nuts' from interfering with their precious little game! Rejoice, women of the world! Chivalry is NOT dead!

Nuts, indeed. Nuts to this whole bloody debacle.

He also asserted the women were not being mistreated

Relative to what? One of those old folks homes on '60 Minutes'? Chimps in a lab?

Apparently the word "mistreated" has something to do with the type of paint being used. You know, like wood stain or something. Because everything here stinks of mistreatment on a gender-equality level.

they can wear goggles and helmets for protection if they wish.

An old friend of mine who plays paintball routinely dons plastic shielding like riot cops use, a codpiece, kneepads, a full football-style breastplate, elbow pads, a motorcycle-style helmet with its own faceshield, monstrous goggles, hockey pants, and a field-cover cloak, all of which is camoflauged. Granted, he's a hunter and plays to win. But he wouldn't play without all that protective equipment, camo or otherwise. Care to know why? Here's a hint. It has to do with keeping tiny projectiles flying at over two hundred miles an hour from piercing his skin. Take a WILD guess.

I swear, the more I hear about this b*llsh*t, the more it provokes me to random acts of eloquence and mayhem. And no one wants that.

Edit to add: It's times like this I have to wonder what Tyr would say.

:cool:

Edited by the 'Hawk, 21 July 2003 - 04:06 AM.

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  
~ Eomer, LotR:RotK

#44 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:36 AM

'Hawk writes:

It's times like this I have to wonder what Tyr would say.

I wish we could know. I dare say that it would not be complimentary in the least.

Any one care to post a few Tyrisms that might apply?

I swear, the more I hear about this b*llsh*t, the more it provokes me to random acts of eloquence and mayhem. And no one wants that.

Actually 'Hawk, I'd take your 'eloquence and mayhem' any day over stuff like this any day. And while I can, in No way, come anywhere near your eloquence, I'll  join in the mayhem.

I know about the 'thrill' of the hunt, I am a hunter.  I can tell you from my perspective, and that of most hunters I have spoken to- the vast majority are food hunters, not trophy hunters- the thrill is in the stalk. Yes they take the shot, if a proper one occurs.

We go after game that has superior motion sight, superior smell and know the terrain far better than we do.

I also play 'war' games, and yes, there is a thirll of stalking another player. It is far more intense when they are also stalking you and can shoot back.

#45 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:42 AM

^ To me, as a 'hawk, I have to honestly find this whole concept of shooting naked women with paintballs as being absolutely opposed to every principle of hunting with which I have ever been accustomed.

Perhaps lying in a desert, one's naked backside does provide a certain element of camoflauge. I don't know.

All I know is, I personally would find no thrill whatsoever in this hunt. Because there's no challenge to it.

I've never shot anything. However, I have fenced at the varsity level and participated in more than my fair share of gaming. And I can tell you that half the fun is the honest concern that you'll be the hunted, and not the hunter.

I personally would laugh my ass off if someone turned this bimbo-hunt on its ear, and it turned out that one of the women involved went banzai, stole a paintball gun, and gave the guys a real run for their money. And ended up smearing them all.

That would amuse me. I'd want to shake her hand and thank her for turning this byzantine ritual from a joke into a satire....

“Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To lord and land!”  

#46 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:47 AM

Shalamar, on Jul 20 2003, 01:29 PM, said:

'Hawk writes:

It's times like this I have to wonder what Tyr would say.

I wish we could know. I dare say that it would not be complimentary in the least.

Any one care to post a few Tyrisms that might apply?
Hm... I can't think of anything from Tyr that would work.  I imagine Beka might have something to say on the matter though.  

"On behalf of human women everywhere?  I'm insulted."

#47 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:50 AM

Oh, and a quote from DOTM is surprisingly fitting for these "hunters":

Rommie:  "Dylan, I'm not sensing any brain waves..."

:p

#48 the 'Hawk

the 'Hawk
  • Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:50 AM

On the one hand, "genetic propagation is one of the few risks worthy of death".

On the other hand.... "you would leave a live enemy behind!?"

Not to mention that this whole thing is "an anachronism" and that "man is to woman a means; the purpose is always a child." (I know, that was Rhade's line-- but it was quoting the Philosopher, so Tyr would know it just as well as Rhade.)

Oh, and, of course....

"Amateurs!"

#49 ArmourMe

ArmourMe
  • Islander
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:21 AM

ROFLMAO, 'hawk - thanks for the first belly laugh for me over this thread  :lol:  :D

Now, what do we have to do to make sure you stay????  

*pets the 'hawk's feathers*

#50 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:59 AM

I'm an avid paintball player, and as mentioned above I would NEVER do it naked.  And I really like games where I have to do a lot of sneaking and have to worry about who's around me, not this 'hey look it moves and I can shoot!' type bull.  One article I read said that it was so titled in the "hunter's" favor that only 2 guys left without having shot anyone.  That's not a sport at all.  Then again, I am the person who sometimes enters paintball games without a gun, just paintballs.  I have this thing about sneaking up on people and smearing them with paint and getting them out that way.  It's a lot harder (cause person I'm sneaking up on does normally have a gun), but it's so much fun!!  It's no fun when it's easy.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#51 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:37 AM

This is just wrong and disgusting on all levels.  Those little paint balls are moving when they connect.  Rhea as for them needing a hobby I think they need some serious mental help to deal with their problem.  

One a side note this company is in trouble when OSHA catches up with them.  OSHA requires proper safety equipment suitable for adequate protection for a given work environment.  That includes eye protection for areas where damage to the eyes could be inflicted.  So in this case I bet they could at least get them on that one.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#52 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

Hi, all.

This is why I wrote A Guy Rant. Because of things like this. I think there is no question these guys are creeps.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#53 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:01 PM

I know you feel bad about that for all men, and I'm embarassed that this sort of thing gets pinned on men, but men are not all creeps.  I cannot even imagine that even a sizeable minority of men would even think that sort of activity is anything but exploitive and stupid.  I wish I could say that it's medieval, but even the worst black knight or mercenary would never run such an event.  I think the new term I should use to use to associate a time period with disgust is  "modern".  

How throuoghly modern that is!  The Dark Ages ain't got nothing on us in terms of imaginative exploitation and cruelty.  

The sad thing, though, is that it's the women who make that possible themselves.  Find a guy who wants to hit a naked girl with a paintball, and you'll find a woman who will will be happy enough to take the money to do it.  And vice-versa.  And yes, they probably deserve each other, but do we deserve them?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#54 Phaze

Phaze

Island Girl

• Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:16 PM

Good grief! Only in the good old USA! :barf: :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:

#55 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:18 PM

Hi, Uncle Sid...

Yeah, I know. I know we aren't all like that, but just when you think some of us can't do anything more vile, we get shocked even more.

Yes, the women are naked, and they choose to do so, but as you said, even the most cruel men of ancient times wouldn't do this. What could be any lower?

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#56 Julie

Julie
  • Islander
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:29 PM

schoolpsycho, on Jul 21 2003, 12:11 AM, said:

...even the most cruel men of ancient times wouldn't do this.
Somehow I doubt that.  The ancients could be pretty nasty.

On a more entertaining note, did anyone else get a pop-up ad for paintball supplies when they opened this thread? I found it a little ironic...
I got that too.  :lol:

#57 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:09 PM

The Snopes site says the whole thing is a big ol' hoax -- apparently, despite what Krekelberg says, there haven't been ANY hunts at all.  

Snopes' coverage of the Bambi fiasco

(Mind you, I haven't had enough time to read through the whole thing myself yet, so take a gander and see what you think.  Generally, though, the Mikkelsons are quite thorough in their research, so I tend to have a lot of respect for their findings.)

#58 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:47 PM

Nick, on Jul 18 2003, 04:25 PM, said:

The best way I can describe the pain of getting kicked in the groin:  Imagine being punched in the stomach, really hard, so hard it knocks the wind out of you, and the pain travels all the way to your fingers and toes.  Now, concentrate that in an area about 1/4 the size of your stomach, and you'll have an idea. :)

So . . . in short . . . it's not nice at all to kick boys where the sun don't shine. ;)

-Nick
But oh so effective against aggressive guys.  In my women's self-defense I teach from time to time, I introduce an aikido method known as "Petting the Dragon" or sometimes known as the "Lawnmower Pull."  Three steps: grab, twist, and pull hard.

But I've never actually used it...yet.  ;)
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#59 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Still the property of the PPD

• Islander
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:11 PM

TrancesHuggyPillow, on Jul 21 2003, 08:40 PM, said:

But oh so effective against aggressive guys.
I'm not speaking (and I don't think other men here have been speaking) about what one does for self-defense against an aggressor.  Any kind of direct physical threat against a woman or a man needs to be met with a "hit 'em low, fast, hard, and ruthless" philosophy.  Hopefully you do it from some kind of scientific or empirical method, so the other person can't do it better than you.

But I don't agree, IMVHO, with the, "Well, let's hit the men in the testicles and see how they like it," school either.  Assuming this isn't a hoax (even if it is, there have been much more debasing things done in the name of 'entertainment,') that's probably exactly how the man learned it was acceptable behavior in the first place.  By having it done to them.

Does that excuse reprehensible behavior?  Absolutely not.  But the cure isn't found in "hit 'em back and that'll larn 'im" either.  It's prophylaxis at best.

I think the point about not nailing men in the groin comes from girls who like to do that to boys "for fun."  And yes, Virginia, there are young girls who are just as capable at being immoral bullies as boys.  Maybe not as many, but they exist.
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#60 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:34 PM

and as far as ancient man is concerned this is less than nothing by comparison. I mean just using the Roman Empire as an example there were days when entire armies of thousands, yes thousands of people were killed in the mass gladitorial battles not to mention the more normal human/animal fights and lower scale battles. At one point Caligula I believe it was( although you may need to check www.straightdope.com to be sure because I'm not sure my memory is right) had a complete reenactment of a famous Greek battle complete with real casualties including slaves playing the enemy he would personally kill. So the statement about this being something ancient man wouldn't do or even think of doing is completely ludicrus. Ancient man and woman lest we forget did much more cruel and inhumane things in the name of entertainment than even the worst excesses of modern Western mass media entertainment. Blood sport is as old as civilization and possibly much older and this display of stupidly has nothing on that.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Women

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users