7 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

http://www.google.co...1EfNVQD96KQATO0

A Michigan woman with two wombs has given birth to twin daughters one from each uterus.
The 21-year-old Sault Ste. Marie woman has a condition known as uterus didelphys, and doctors say such twin births are rare. The uteri are different sizes, with the larger twin born from the larger uterus.

This doesn't exactly follow my definition of twins, but then this condition is so rare I didn't think about it before (though I have heard of women with more than one set of reproductive organs). I always thought as twins as sharing the same womb for a time.

Better than a relatives definition... She and I had heard, second hand of a women who had twins, one born New Years Eve and one born New Years Day. I was thinking how cool (and had before hearing of this contemplated twins with different birth days, a statistical certainty to have happened somewhere sometime was thought). Then she goes and expresses distaste. She said if it were her she would have tried to hurry it up, or hold off longer, as twins should share the same birthday. Hey, are these twins I mentioned in different grades in school??? I'll have to ask the person who knows them.... Twins sharing the same birthday is not essential to how I think twins "should be" whatever that means. But, at least before now, sharing a womb was....

So did this lady have two concurrent pregnancies, or just one ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

Usually schools elect to keep twins together, even if one falls over the mark by a few minutes. I'd be surprised to find out otherwise. We had twins that were born to a birth mother and a surrogate a few weeks apart (seriously - they did IVF on both, and both ended up pregnant). They're a few weeks apart, but were kept in the same grade even though they fell on different sides of the eligibility date. And both are special ed kids....tampering with nature and giving birth to premies has its down side, as anyone who's seen pictures of the Octodingbat's babies can testify. Poor little guys.

On the double uterus, it's a combination of WOW! and scratching my head...... ;)

Edited by Rhea, 02 March 2009 - 12:26 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

They are twins, they just both like their personal space :D

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

:D LOL sparky

View PostRhea, on Mar 2 2009, 12:14 PM, said:

Usually schools elect to keep twins together, even if one falls over the mark by a few minutes. I'd be surprised to find out otherwise. We had twins that were born to a birth mother and a surrogate a few weeks apart (seriously - they did IVF on both, and both ended up pregnant). They're a few weeks apart, but were kept in the same grade even though they fell on different sides of the eligibility date. And both are special ed kids....tampering with nature and giving birth to premies has its down side, as anyone who's seen pictures of the Octodingbat's babies can testify. Poor little guys.

On the double uterus, it's a combination of WOW! and scratching my head...... ;)

I had thought about this when contemplating this topic, whether IVF babies can/should be called twins when not born from the same pregnancy. Where they really considered twins legally? On their birth certificate? (or other documentation?). I've heard of the rare case of twins being born weeks apart from the same women in odd cases... But using the term twins/multiples in IVF cases of different women's wombs? That seems strange, even if from the same batch of eggs/sperm. Also they can also be born years apart, whether they come out of the same womb or not.

Whether ones call them twins (triples/etc) or not, they were not products of the same pregnancy (even if one wants to say they are the product of the same batch of petri-conceptions :p ;) :D )

Edited by sierraleone, 02 March 2009 - 03:05 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#5 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

The word would be clones, I'd say. :)
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

View Postfoborg, on Mar 2 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

The word would be clones, I'd say. :)

If you are responding to my "same petri-conception" line, it should have been conceptions, plural, and  IVF multiples are rarely identical.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Can't forget that there are tw types of twins / multiple births- identical- where one egg splits - and fraternal which is two eggs or more eggs fertilized simultaneously - identical- must be same gender, fraternal can be male and female.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

View PostShalamar, on Mar 2 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

Can't forget that there are tw types of twins / multiple births- identical- where one egg splits - and fraternal which is two eggs or more eggs fertilized simultaneously - identical- must be same gender, fraternal can be male and female.

I've actually read of identical twins that were different sexes... if I'm understanding it correctly, some genetic abnormality happened during/after splitting. But so rare as to have only three recorded cases...

If you want, google: Monozygotic twins discordant for sex

- Masha Gessen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Pregnancy, Child Birth, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users