• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Link

I'm running on the Libertarian ticket, and I'm hoping to get a Pirate Party endorsement as well.  I'm hoping that my stances on issues will resonate with many groups who feel unrepresented by either major party, as I do.  I'd appreciate any feedback you may have about the site, my campaign, or my stances on the various issues.  If there's any reason you couldn't vote for me based on what I say, please tell me why!  If I've forgotten to mention any important issues that should be addressed, please bring that to my attention as well.  And yes, I know, I need a better photograph. :)

It's not quite public yet, but it should be within a few days, so feel free to disseminate the URL to anyone you think might be interested.  I'm releasing the site to widening circles to get more feedback.  Y'all are round three, after which I'll probably submit it to Slashdot and see what happens.

Edited by Omega, 04 March 2009 - 03:14 PM.

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Omega,

What-not running fromCongress? ;)

Good luck with your political career. :cool:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

*points to his sig*.

I mean, good luck. ;).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

View PostRovEsque, on Mar 4 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

*points to his sig*.

I mean, good luck. ;).

Jeeze-you Romulans can't be trusted to behave for a SECOND, can you??

:vulcan: :p~ :vulcan:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I'm in your district.  Check with me in 2010.  My mailbox saw very few election flyers and I heard very few radio/tv ads for any office besides president in the last election.  In this city I rarely know what offices are contested until I see the sample ballot in the Tennessean because there is no visible campaigning for most offices.  Be prepared to spend some money or Jim Cooper will win again by default.  But take my phone number off the computerized phone list NOW!!!  My answering machine screens all my calls and I delete campaign calls without listening.  Don't use my telephone (something I pay for) for your campaign.

I spotted 3 minor errors - affect instead of effect was one.

I'm for universal healthcare - doesn't sound like you are.  I'm one month ahead of the first official baby boomer and am going to be relying heavily on both Medicare and Social Security.  My prescription costs and two heart stents are big contributors to my filing for bankruptcy, and I have fully-paid employer health care with Blue Cross.  How to cut medical costs?  Does every hospital patient really need a private room, cable tv and internet access?  It's not a friggin' hotel!  Radio and a good stash of magazines and books would do just fine.  My Vanderbilt room had internet, though it had just been installed and nobody was quite sure how to do some things.  

All of your issues are well reasoned with both the pros and cons and you make a lot of sense.   But I'm not going to think much about it until next fall.   I'm sick of two-year campaigns.
Cats will never be extinct!

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Omega,

Seriously, though-one thing off the bat?

Get another web site address. "Srange.net" sounds too much like "strange.net"

Edited by Ghost Rider, 04 March 2009 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Well I'm not in your district, not even in your state...But I wish you the best of luck.

I will say, though, your position on the Death penalty....If I DID live in your district, honestly I don't know if I could vote for someone that wanted to ban the death penalty. Even if they were a EIer. It would be real hard for me to vote for someone that has that position.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Yeah - I read it as strange.net to be honest.

If you want me to epically proof-read the whole thing I'd be happy to, I just read through it quite quickly to get a feel for your stance on things. Then I sent you an epically long PM detailing my thoughts about it :whistle:

I thought overall it was pretty good :thumbs-up: details are in the PM. One thing I didn't mention though is the medicare thing -because being British, it isn't really my place I don't think to comment on that. I'm very pro the NHS, I think it works great and I would never stand to see it changed to a private healthcare system, but in the US - I just can't say. I don't see why it wouldn't work there, but I think it's too easy for me to have a view on it, since my view is "We have the NHS, great, don't change it" rather than demanding any kind of major overhaul. If that makes sense. Probably not :blush:

I'll just leave you with one of my favourite Jon Stewart quotes :p

"If con is the opposite of pro, is congress the opposite of progress?"

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 04 March 2009 - 02:01 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#9 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

View PostThemis, on Mar 4 2009, 04:53 PM, said:

I'm in your district.  Check with me in 2010.  My mailbox saw very few election flyers and I heard very few radio/tv ads for any office besides president in the last election.  In this city I rarely know what offices are contested until I see the sample ballot in the Tennessean because there is no visible campaigning for most offices.  Be prepared to spend some money or Jim Cooper will win again by default.  But take my phone number off the computerized phone list NOW!!!  My answering machine screens all my calls and I delete campaign calls without listening.  Don't use my telephone (something I pay for) for your campaign.

I'm for universal healthcare - doesn't sound like you are.  I'm one month ahead of the first official baby boomer and am going to be relying heavily on both Medicare and Social Security.  My prescription costs and two heart stents are big contributors to my filing for bankruptcy, and I have fully-paid employer health care with Blue Cross.  How to cut medical costs?  Does every hospital patient really need a private room, cable tv and internet access?  It's not a friggin' hotel!  Radio and a good stash of magazines and books would do just fine.  My Vanderbilt room had internet, though it had just been installed and nobody was quite sure how to do some things.  

All of your issues are well reasoned with both the pros and cons and you make a lot of sense.   But I'm not going to think much about it until next fall.   I'm sick of two-year campaigns.

Don't worry, Themis, I won't be doing any mass calling.  I find the whole concept rude.  I don't know how much money there's going to be to spend, but I'm gonna do what I can to make this race more interesting than they usually are.  That's why I'm starting this far in advance!  I've got to have some momentum or I stand no chance at all.

I'm afraid I'm not in favor of government-paid universal healthcare.  I just don't think the concept is practical.  Even if it was, doing it on the federal level is not the correct approach.  But my main thrust is that, if we are going to have government-paid healthcare, it needs to be done intelligently, and we need to ask the hard questions we've been avoiding.

And I don't see the affect/effect error you mention.  I checked all the affect/effect appearances in my root issues document, and didn't see anything wrong.  Even checked the rule list to make sure I had it right in my head.  Can you be more specific as to where it is?

View PostGhost Rider, on Mar 4 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

Omega,

Seriously, though-one thing off the bat?

It's on the to-do list.  That URL was grabbed a while ago because I wanted something for personal use that had no punctuation and was easy to say and spell.  "S Range" was the best that was available.  I'll get something better for the campaign. :)

View PostLord of the Sword, on Mar 4 2009, 05:13 PM, said:

Well I'm not in your district, not even in your state...But I wish you the best of luck.

I will say, though, your position on the Death penalty....If I DID live in your district, honestly I don't know if I could vote for someone that wanted to ban the death penalty. Even if they were a EIer. It would be real hard for me to vote for someone that has that position.

I think I understand your reasons for liking the death penalty.  At least, I understand my own for liking it: some people are worthless and disgusting and just need to die.  The problem is that I can't be sure who those people might be.  I don't trust anyone on the planet to make that determination, myself included.

#10 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

I applaud your desire to aim high Omega, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you manage to be the wild card in the race. :)

I look forward to seeing the Pouncy Purple Despotism take it's first seat in congress ;)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#11 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

I have to disagree with you on that one.

"Even the President can do little to affect this issue."

The end result isn't "this issue". For instance, if "an end to global warming" was my desired result, I would undertake green methods of living to effect an end to global warming. In this case, he's talking about changing a specific thing; I'd call that affect.

Edit to add: I hadn't realized how often he says "affect". I guess I don't know which one you mean.

He's wrong on one point, though - "The law of the land as it presently stands is only changeable by the US Supreme Court or by constitutional amendment."

Congress can make laws that are within the US Constitution - one does not need to change/amend the Constitution in order to make/change law. And the US Supreme Court does not change law; it interprets the law. And it's not the only court that can do this. Any court in the law can interpret the law. The main difference between the US Supreme Court and lower courts is that it has the final say as to whether a law or right is within the US Constitution.

Edited by Broph, 04 March 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#12 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

View PostGhost Rider, on Mar 4 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

I didn't read that closely; I thought it was strange.net and was surprised that he had snagged that name.

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on Mar 4 2009, 05:28 PM, said:

If you want me to epically proof-read the whole thing I'd be happy too

I don't know if I'd take her up on that offer.  :whistle:

#14 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

Finishing up lunch now, but I'm going to have to read more of this later.

local ISPs that hold an effective monopoly on Internet access

It's the national or regional companies - Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, etc. that hold the effective monopoly on broadband Internet access. And even then, most users have some choice - cable, DSL, FIOS, satellite, etc.

I'd like to see foreign language training in schools expanded.

You should specify "public schools".

This can not go on.

This cannot go on.

Edited by Broph, 04 March 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#15 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

Two quickies because I haven't had time to read in-depth:

1.  Make sure whatever picture you pick to replace the current one does not include sunglasses.  Not being able to see your eyes sends an unfavorable message about trustworthiness.

2.  On that first page, you use the word "stupid" a lot.  That's a fine descriptor for blogging and message boards, but probably not the level of discourse you want on a website to run for Congress.

#16 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Good luck!

I am not in your state but this is pretty exciting for ExIsle!

I read over some of your issues and I agree with some and disagree with others but some of that just might be regional outlook. That said, good luck with your run. I absolutely agree that we need another political party in this country. I don't agree with all Libertarian takes on politics but if it makes Republicans and Democrats take note so much the better.

enTranced
Posted Image

#17 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

View PostBroph, on Mar 4 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

He's wrong on one point, though - "The law of the land as it presently stands is only changeable by the US Supreme Court or by constitutional amendment."

Congress can make laws that are within the US Constitution - one does not need to change/amend the Constitution in order to make/change law. And the US Supreme Court does not change law; it interprets the law. And it's not the only court that can do this. Any court in the law can interpret the law. The main difference between the US Supreme Court and lower courts is that it has the final say as to whether a law or right is within the US Constitution.

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.  However, my point was that no law can be passed that contradicts Roe v Wade; if one has the goal of seeing the legal status of abortion changed, only the Supreme Court or an amendment can do that.  One might be able to say it's case law, but I don't want to risk misusing a technical term.

View PostBroph, on Mar 4 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

local ISPs that hold an effective monopoly on Internet access

It's the national or regional companies - Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, etc. that hold the effective monopoly on broadband Internet access. And even then, most users have some choice - cable, DSL, FIOS, satellite, etc.

My writeup on that issue is still in flux, as I'm still researching the issue, and it's difficult to wade through the crap.  Page is updated.

I'd like to see foreign language training in schools expanded.

You should specify "public schools".

Modification made.

This can not go on.

This cannot go on.

Interesting, that was a distinction I was never taught.  All instances in the issues page replaced.

View Postsilverwind, on Mar 4 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

1.  Make sure whatever picture you pick to replace the current one does not include sunglasses.  Not being able to see your eyes sends an unfavorable message about trustworthiness.

For sure.  If all goes well, I'll have the new picture up within the next two days.

View Postsilverwind, on Mar 4 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

2.  On that first page, you use the word "stupid" a lot.  That's a fine descriptor for blogging and message boards, but probably not the level of discourse you want on a website to run for Congress.

One stupid is emphasis.  Two stupids is redundant.  Pared it back to one.

I've registered collings2010.com.  Hopefully the unusual spelling of my name won't cost me the election.  Maybe I should register collins2010.com as well...

#18 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

I don't know if I'd take her up on that offer. :whistle:

:p Typo. I was thinking of Themis's comments when I wrote it, (as in "I'd be happy to check it for mistakes too, if you like") so it came out wrong. I noticed one while I was reading through the first time but it's in the PM.

I've registered collings2010.com. Hopefully the unusual spelling of my name won't cost me the election. Maybe I should register collins2010.com as well...

Good good :D

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 04 March 2009 - 02:04 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#19 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm not anywhere near you, but I agree with many of your stances, though not all.

I wish you the best of luck.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#20 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

View PostOmega, on Mar 4 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

This can not go on.

This cannot go on.

Interesting, that was a distinction I was never taught.  All instances in the issues page replaced.

I had noticed that you also used "can't", which technically is an incorrect abbreviation (which is actually because of "cannot"; a single word cannot be "contracted"). It depends on how formal you want to be.

I believe in dialog.

Actually, you believe in dialogue.

OK; that's it for the nitpicking for now. I won't have a chance to look at this in-depth until late Thursday/early Friday. I know you're more interested in discussing the issues than talking about spelling and grammar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, OT members, Omega, Run for Congress, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users