Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostBroph, on Mar 4 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

View PostOmega, on Mar 4 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

View PostBroph, on Mar 4 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

This can not go on.

This cannot go on.

Interesting, that was a distinction I was never taught.  All instances in the issues page replaced.

I had noticed that you also used "can't", which technically is an incorrect abbreviation (which is actually because of "cannot"; a single word cannot be "contracted"). It depends on how formal you want to be.

I believe in dialog.

Actually, you believe in dialogue.

OK; that's it for the nitpicking for now. I won't have a chance to look at this in-depth until late Thursday/early Friday. I know you're more interested in discussing the issues than talking about spelling and grammar.

I'm gonna use "can't"; that's how people talk, so that's how I write.  Interestingly, "dialog" comes up with 5x the Google results of "dialogue", but most of them seem to be technology related!  Spelling fixed, and corrections greatly appreciated.

edit: new domains now work!  Editing first post...

Edited by Omega, 04 March 2009 - 03:14 PM.

#23 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

"Dialog" is now an accepted variant of "dialogue," which is on its way to being an archaism.
http://dictionary.re...m/browse/dialog

Similarly, tech talk has pretty much decreed that "analog" will surpass "analogue" as the preferred spelling for that word.  Just go back and read Shakespeare or even an 18th-century novel and you'll see that the "rules" are always changing, particularly in regards to spelling and punctuation.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#24 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

I would do anything in my power at any time to commute any death sentence under my authority, regardless of circumstance.
So if you had it within your power, you would have spared the life of a Tim McVeigh...for instance?  :dontgetit:
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#25 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

McVeigh, Hussein, name your imprisoned executed killer of babies.  I will not have on my conscience the death of a human being who does not pose an immediate threat to anyone any longer.

Now, that said, I'm human.  You put me in a room with someone like McVeigh and turn around for ten minutes, and I can't guarantee I'll be able to restrain myself.  But as a matter of policy, I will not kill unless the immediate consequences of not killing are unacceptable.

#26 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Can we at least smack 'im around a little... :(
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Good luck!  :noevil:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

New photo is up.

#29 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

View PostOmega, on Mar 4 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

New photo is up.

Not bad...the plant in the background definately needs to be moved, IMO.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#30 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Mar 5 2009, 05:43 AM, said:

View PostOmega, on Mar 4 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

New photo is up.

Not bad...the plant in the background definately needs to be moved, IMO.

Absolutely agree.  You could Photoshop it or try again with a better background... but you look sufficiently serious!

When it gets closer to election time, you really have to campaign and that means mailboxes.  I used to live in LA and got mail from all the candidates and backers of propositions etc.  Here (Nashville) I barely know what's on the ballot.  If you have to go to Kinkos for flyers and walk them to every mailbox in town, get your message out there.   Meanwhile, get yourself noticed in town.  (legally, of course!)

Meanwhile, if you're campaigning by internet, PM me and put me on your list.  You never know - most of the time I end up voting for the least of the evils, which means I might not agree on every point but agree with enough!

And I'm against the death penalty.  But sometimes I'm for cruel and unusual punishment - the guy who shot John Lennon should have been forced to listen to Lennon's music all day, every day, for instance!

Edited by Themis, 05 March 2009 - 08:59 AM.

Cats will never be extinct!

#31 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Don't actually hand deliver fliers into mailboxes.  That's a federal crime if you don't affix postage.  I had a friend whose mail kept getting torched by a teen vandal in the neighborhood and the local cops wouldn't do anything.  So she called the Feds about him interfering with the delivery of mail and the FBI put the fear of God into him pretty quick.

You can put fliers in any newspaper holders you see, however.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#32 T_H_Phoenix

T_H_Phoenix
  • Islander
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

View PostOmega, on Mar 4 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

I've registered collings2010.com.  Hopefully the unusual spelling of my name won't cost me the election.  Maybe I should register collins2010.com as well...

Yes.  Also (if you have the budget) register any common misspellings, such as colings, colling, etc.  Otherwise campers and redirectors could steer people to sites you don't want associated with you.
Posted Image

#33 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'd really rather split this discussion into another thread if we're going to have it.

I've created a Facebook group, if anyone's interested.

#34 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

^Granted; I won't discuss that matter anymore in this thread, but I did think it was interesting to find that story today.

#35 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

For Omega, and *only* for Omega, I will split this topic.

I say that because lord knows I do NOT want *yet another* death penalty thread. If people are really really interested, just look up the countless death penalty discussions we have had time after weary time on OT. I won't say "I refuse to take part" because as a mod, I have to read it, and it can get tempting sometimes to respond. I don't have the luxury of keeping out of the thread completely. But I really don't want to go over this *again*. (Sparky possibly needs a holiday). This isn't a dig at anyone by the way. I'm just as responsible for dredging this topic back up as anyone, and I'm sure people on OT who have been here long enough to see more than one epic death penalty topic will understand my feeling of >.<  ugh. It's one of those draining topics which it just sucks the life out of you to debate for the 50th time... ya know?

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 05 March 2009 - 02:23 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#36 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

Btw- Omega, I much preferred the other picture... I can see that this one is sorta more serious, but I really liked the other one a LOT better.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#37 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

*LOL*  You're the first person ever to say that they liked the old picture, but I really rather liked it too.  Maybe I'll try to find room for them both.

I appreciate the split, Sparky.  Thanks.

#38 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

Best of luck to you, Omega. I admire your willingness to put yourself forward.
Make sure you understand the rules of campaign funding. ;)
Pax,
Julianus

#39 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

I am a Libertarian Party candidate for the 2010 election in Tennesse's 5th district
Missing an "e";

are ignored in favor of namecalling and posturing
I think name calling is two words or could be hyphenated.

Good luck to you.  You are doing more than most of us would do and I think you are very brave.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#40 Omega

Omega

• 4,028 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Fixed both spelling errors, thanks.  A typo on the name of Tennessee could be quite embarrassing, I imagine!

I have altered my stance on gun control, foreign affairs, pollution and welfare programs slightly, and added sections for energy and prison population.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, OT members, Omega, Run for Congress, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users