#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:08 AM

Heres the link:

http://www.mytelus.c...ticleID=1365253

I think we already beaten eachother over the heads enough with this issue ;)

All I wanted to ask was
if California has to honour this though? People get married in other places all the time, and those are honored, are they not? Though I might be wrong about how it goes, maybe the ceremony is just performed elsewhere, but the marriage license is obtained in their home country. I don't know.... ;) *shrugs* Thats why I started this thread :)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:12 AM

California is under no legal obligation to honour their marriage.

For that matter, California doesn't even HAVE to honour marriages from other *states* (full faith and credit aside).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:17 AM

^ with our mobile society, people are moving all the time. So I assume, they usually do honour other marriage licenses? At least from other states. I would think from other countries too (immigrants sometimes come married ;) and people elope). But they have a choice over which ones they do, or do not?

Under what grounds have they previously, or are they able, to not honoured marriage licenses from other states and or countries? (outside of people who got married again without getting divorced ;) ).

Or is it completely arbitary, they can honour whichever ones they want to and not honour whichever ones they want to?

Edited by sierraleone, 17 July 2003 - 05:23 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:56 AM

Not only is California under no legal obligation to honor it, it passed a measure a few years ago under which the only marriages that will be recognized are those between people of opposite sexes.
Posted Image

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 05:59 AM

I understand that they have no legal obligation, I asked under what grounds are they allowed to not honour it, or are there no grounds? (as in, is it just arbitary?) Though, obviously, with that measure, it doesn't look like they'll honour this ;)

- Masha Gessen

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:02 AM

The grounds is that in California, same sex marriages are not recognized as marriages in the eyes of the law.

Mores the pity.

Lil
Posted Image

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:04 AM

^ I was talking in general, not in this specific case, are they allowed to not honour marriage licences from different places. (starting to feel like a broken record ;) :D )

Edited by sierraleone, 17 July 2003 - 06:04 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:21 AM

sierraleone, on Jul 16 2003, 11:10 AM, said:

^ with our mobile society, people are moving all the time. So I assume, they usually do honour other marriage licenses? At least from other states. I would think from other countries too (immigrants sometimes come married ;) and people elope). But they have a choice over which ones they do, or do not?

Under what grounds have they previously, or are they able, to not honoured marriage licenses from other states and or countries? (outside of people who got married again without getting divorced ;) ).

Or is it completely arbitary, they can honour whichever ones they want to and not honour whichever ones they want to?
Marriages from other states/countries are most certainly recognized as valid, provided they were legal in the state or country where they were married.

Marriage *licenses* are only valid in the state they're issued in, because the states have varying requirements to obtain one (meaning that you usually get married in the state that issued the license).

Edited by Rhea, 17 July 2003 - 06:21 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 06:22 AM

Well you weren't being very clear.

I don't think so.  But I'm not sure.  I mean in Toronto same sex marriages are now legal.  And yet I doubt that a gay couple legally married in Toronto could move to California and expect that marriage to be recognized in California.

I'm not sure but that's my take.

Lil
Posted Image

#10 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 08:28 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Jul 16 2003, 12:15 PM, said:

Well you weren't being very clear.

I don't think so.  But I'm not sure.  I mean in Toronto same sex marriages are now legal.  And yet I doubt that a gay couple legally married in Toronto could move to California and expect that marriage to be recognized in California.

I'm not sure but that's my take.

Lil
Heh heh. Perhaps I should have said that heterosexual marriages legally performed elsewhere are recognized. Can't have them homosexuals thinking we might recognize their marriage here. :p :p
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: California, Los Angeles, 2003, Same Sex marriage

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users