Medical Research Stem Cells 2009

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

I realize this is a controversial topic. But I am personally thrilled. Embryonic stem cells culled from leftover embryos from in-vitro fertilization treatments would be discarded anyway. It makes perfect sense instead to use them to learn more about the development of diseases (a primary use of embryonic stem cells) and to employ them in therapies and even cures for some killers like diabetes. This is something that the United States needs to be involved in, not shunning it because some influential religious leaders in one political party oppose it. That is not to say that ethical concerns should be ignored, either. But I think there is a way of addressing the ethics without stopping progress.

http://health.usnews...ban-monday.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

^ Well Said Specs. I agree completely.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

That makes 3 of us.

Diabetes killed my father. He was also on dialysis-which he absolutely loathed. :(

It would have been nice to find something to make his life easier. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

My cousin has type 1 diabeties, so I'm all for this.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

I am also glad to see this happening......The medical possibilities could be nothing short of miracles.

#6 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Progress not on the federal dime was being made in the U.S.  There wasn't a ban on this research, was there?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#7 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 7 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

Progress not on the federal dime was being made in the U.S.  There wasn't a ban on this research, was there?

Just a funding ban. But, speaking as a research student, I've only ever been funded with federal money. That's where a giant chunk of research grants come from. Now way more people will be able to get involved.

Edited by Lyric of Delphi, 07 March 2009 - 04:12 PM.

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Mar 7 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

My cousin has type 1 diabeties, so I'm all for this.

Same here--my cousin's 22 year old daughter has been insulin-dependent since she was two. I am truly hoping for a cure in her lifetime.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

View PostLyric of Delphi, on Mar 7 2009, 04:10 PM, said:

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 7 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

Just a funding ban. But, speaking as a research student, I've only ever been funded with federal money. That's where a giant chunk of research grants come from. Now way more people will be able to get involved.

I think most of this sort of research is conducted in universities, funded, as Lyric points out, with public money. I'd be curious to know more about this, though, if anyone knows more and would like to share it. Are there privately-owned laboratories doing embryonic stem cell research in the U.S.? Abroad? Or is most of the research, even in other countries, done in state-funded institutions?

Anybody know?

Edited by Spectacles, 07 March 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

Personally I would rather have the government funding the research.  For those people that have ethical issues about certain things this is the chance to put the watchdogs out there to make sure that this is not abused which actually it could be abused.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#11 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

Massachusetts and California have laws and organizations encouraging stem cell research. I would imagine other states do too.
http://www.mass.gov/...05/sl050027.htm
links to AN ACT  ENHANCING REGENERATIVE MEDICINE IN THE COMMONWEALTH.
There are some interesting provisions including making it a crime to sell embryos for a "valuable consideration" for stem cell research.

I believe that in most cases of such government sponsored research successful scientists end up setting up their own companies. Then there is the question of how the government might be compensated for the original grant money. I believe that would be determined in the terms of the individual grant.

Pax,
Julianus

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

What Specs said. :cool:

I'm definitely all for this as well. In particular, I'm interested in what they doing with neurological and autoimmune disease research. But if this helps cure or treat other types of diseases too, then that's even better.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#13 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

YAY! Even though California has proceeded with oour own stem cell research facilities, this will make a huge difference all over the country. So many scientists have had to put their research on hold due to Skippy's religious belief running his presidency. Now scientists can get back to work without government interference and with government  funds.

So much promising research.........
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#14 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Mar 7 2009, 07:59 AM, said:

I realize this is a controversial topic. But I am personally thrilled. Embryonic stem cells culled from leftover embryos from in-vitro fertilization treatments would be discarded anyway. It makes perfect sense instead to use them to learn more about the development of diseases (a primary use of embryonic stem cells) and to employ them in therapies and even cures for some killers like diabetes. This is something that the United States needs to be involved in, not shunning it because some influential religious leaders in one political party oppose it. That is not to say that ethical concerns should be ignored, either. But I think there is a way of addressing the ethics without stopping progress.

http://health.usnews...ban-monday.html

I agree!  The bolding is the clincher too.  Rather than just discard it, why not use it for something highly beneficial and promising! :cool: And at least there is [finally] one thing I can agree with Obama on doing as well for the record.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#15 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:23 AM

^Me too. (Hey, Captain Jack and I do agree somtimes! ;) )
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#16 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Done deal!  This rocks, Science is in da house!  :D

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#17 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

At issue was the fact that one lab could be doing federally-funded adult stem cell research, but they were prohibited from sharing equipment, personnel, results, office supplies, etc. from any group doing embryonic stem cell research.  It threw up a whole slew of nonsensical roadblocks and necessitated a lot of ridiculous kabuki dances that greatly impeded research on all fronts.  In addition, nations abroad with no such restrictions were attracting our researchers risking a "brain drain" to foreign nations.

All for some strange appeasement of the crazy-winger base to score political points.  Because it's much better to talk about the hundred or so "snowflake babies" rather than the thousands of "incinerated blastocysts" that otherwise could've been used to study and treat diseases.

#18 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

http://www.cnsnews.c...px?RsrcID=44943

If I read this right, does Obama know what he is really siging these days?  It soulds like a total 180 reversal here.  :unsure:
Posted Image

#19 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on Mar 15 2009, 01:38 AM, said:

If I read this right, does Obama know what he is really siging these days?  It soulds like a total 180 reversal here.  :unsure:
Apples and oranges. Obama's executive order increased the number of existing stem cell lines that can be used in federally funded research. The Dickey-Wicker amendment prohibits federally funded researchers from creating new stem cell lines.

Basically, it's only when you create the line that you have to destroy embryos, so the legislative prohibition doesn't apply to research that makes use of lines that already exist. It was Bush's executive order that was preventing that research from going forward under federal funding, and now it's been overturned.

Edited by Dev F, 15 March 2009 - 03:17 AM.

#20 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

View PostDev F, on Mar 15 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on Mar 15 2009, 01:38 AM, said:

Apples and oranges. Obama's executive order increased the number of existing stem cell lines that can be used in federally funded research. The Dickey-Wicker amendment prohibits federally funded researchers from creating new stem cell lines.

Basically, it's only when you create the line that you have to destroy embryos, so the legislative prohibition doesn't apply to research that makes use of lines that already exist. It was Bush's executive order that was preventing that research from going forward under federal funding, and now it's been overturned.

Ah, I see.  I wasn't sure hence the " :unsure: " at the end.  Thanks for the clarification.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Stem Cells, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users