#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

http://moviesblog.mt...sting-underway/

============================================
Published by Eric Ditzian on Monday, March 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm.

A live-action TV series set in the “Star Wars” cosmos has been an elusive, tantalizing prospect for years. News of the potential production first surfaced in 2005 while George Lucas was promoting “Revenge of the Sith.” Work on the “Clones Wars” animated feature film and Cartoon Network series, though, took creative precedence. In late 2007, Lucas revealed that he and his team were about to begin writing scripts for the live-action show. Now MTV News has learned that casting for the series is currently underway.

During the junket for the Nicolas Cage thriller “Knowing,” star Rose Byrne let slip that Team Lucas is casting a wide net for actors to join the show. “A lot of my friends have been auditioning for it,” she said.

According to Lucas, the show will focus on minor characters from the saga and be set in the time period between “Revenge of the Sith” (Episode III) and the original “Star Wars” (Episode IV). The action will follow the Rebel Alliance as it slowly gains strength against the Empire. There will be Stormtroopers, but no Jedi or Darth Vader will appear on screen. As he did with the “Clone Wars” series, Lucas will write and shoot an entire year’s worth of episodes before looking for a cable channel on which to air the series.

Thus, with casting just now moving forward, it looks to be quite some time before fans will be able to catch some live-action “Star Wars” on the small screen.

Bryne couldn’t have been more pleased about her time working with Lucas on 2002’s “Attack of the Clones.” “My experience was wonderful,” she said. “George is a great guy. I was just there for a week, standing behind Natalie [Portman] looking very demure and supportive. 95% of the fan mail I get is from ‘Star Wars’ and I’ve never seen them.”

As much as she enjoyed the “Star Wars” experience, Byrne, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on FX’s “Damages,” will not be auditioning for the live-action series. “I’m on a show,” she said. “I don’t know if I look that good in space.”
====================================

I hope they're mistaken about the series being a Jedi-free zone.   :suspect:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well, how could there be Jedi?  In the time frame of the series, the only Jedi still alive are Kenobi and Yoda, and they're both in hiding.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

I find it quite telling that am only feeling a bland "meh" at the prospect of Star Wars on TV.

enTranced
Posted Image

#4 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's called - creativity.
We can see Kenobi and Yoda.
We can see possibly escaped other Jedi on the run fighting assassins and bounty hunters on their trail, as the empire cleans them out completely.

Fans want to see Jedi.
I wanna see lots of kewl Sith as well.  There should be more than one at a time.  :D

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 12 March 2009 - 10:38 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 12 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

It's called - creativity.
We can see Kenobi and Yoda.
We can see possibly escaped other Jedi on the run fighting assassins and bounty hunters on their trail, as the empire cleans them out completely.

But the problem is putting the show between Episode III and IV you know how it all ends. All the Jedi save Obi Wan and Yoda....die.

That is why I could care less about the Clone Wars cartoon. Aniken will kill his girl power Padewan. He HAS to. The Clones will turn on the Republic. They HAVE to.

I will try this show, at least it is live action, I wasn't to happy with the artwork in the cartoon, especially the people. But set were it is it means we will have to be more concerned with lesser characters will will never be able to change the story.

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 12 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

There should be more than one at a time.  :D

[Yoda] Always two there are, a master and a apprentice. [/Yoda]

enTranced
Posted Image

#7 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

Meh.  :p  Who put Yoda in charge of the dark side?

The argument of - knowing how it all ends - well, yea - but that's true of the 3 newer films.  Still held excitment.
In spots.  :D

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 12 2009, 03:43 PM, said:

Meh.  :p  Who put Yoda in charge of the dark side?

The argument of - knowing how it all ends - well, yea - but that's true of the 3 newer films.  Still held excitment.
In spots.  :D

In spots. Yes. In spots. scattered over 6+ very long hours. :p

Ok, that might be a little harsh. ROTS actualy had a heartbeat for most of the film. Until it died a horrible death there at the end.

George Lucas : "She died....from LOVE!!!!!!!!!!"

Me : "George you ass! How the hell can Leia remember mommy if she freaking died during child birth! dammnnnn youuuuuu!"

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 12 March 2009 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

#9 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

I'd be bummed if there were no Jedi whatsoever...  I assumed this series would have something to do with hunting down the remaining Jedi.  :(

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#10 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 12 2009, 03:56 PM, said:

I'd be bummed if there were no Jedi whatsoever...  I assumed this series would have something to do with hunting down the remaining Jedi.  :(

I'm not sure what I want from this prequel other then I want a return to the original trilogy, a return to Star Wars however you want to define that.

And Star Wars, to me, isn't an entire season of one hour Jedi snuff films. Besides that little montage in ROTS was more then enough.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 12 March 2009 - 11:00 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

You know, if it was my project, I would probably go the "no Jedi" route, too. I would instead focus on people trying to organize a rebel alliance without the assistance of the Jedi -- people required to use their wits instead of their superpowers.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on Mar 12 2009, 11:31 AM, said:

Fans want to see Jedi.

"Fans" never have a single uniform desire, opinion, or preference about anything.  You can't get fans to agree that the Sun is hot.

Besides, that subset of fandom that wants to see Jedi can get them in the movies and The Clone Wars.  Saying that every work of SW fiction must focus on the Jedi is like saying that every work of Star Trek fiction must focus on James T. Kirk.  What's wrong with exploring different facets of the universe for a change?  What's wrong with broadening its focus and varying its approach?  You cited creativity -- and that does not mean doing the same thing over and over ad infinitum.

The original trilogy was never exclusively about Jedi.  Jedi were just one part of a tapestry that also included rebels, smugglers, bounty hunters, weird aliens, droids, minions of a Galactic Empire, etc.  Heck, even in SW:TCW, which is heavily Jedi-centric, the most interesting characters are the clone troopers.  I'd find it boring if all SW fiction focused exclusively on the Jedi and thereby ignored exploring the rest of this vast universe.  And I'm sure there are plenty of fans who feel the same way.

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 12 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

What remaining Jedi?  Aren't there exactly two of those at the end of Episode III?

Even if there are a few stragglers, I'm surprised that people would expect the series to focus on them.  I mean, we already know the way history plays out here.  The Jedi were a power in the Old Republic and during the Clone Wars, but they were broken and defeated, and a whole generation grows up under the heel of the Empire with no superpowered knights to defend them from its evils, so they have to fend for themselves and build a rebellion of their own.  When the original trilogy comes along, the Jedi are a legend from an earlier time, and Luke has to resurrect them (which is the meaning of Episode VI's title).  If a series set in between the trilogies had Jedi running around all over the place, being major players in the events of the period, it would contradict everything we know about the period.  Maybe there could be a few survivors -- I, for one, wouldn't mind if Ahsoka Tano somehow managed to escape the hit squads -- but they shouldn't be a visible presence in galactic affairs during the inter-trilogy period.  And therefore it stands to reason that they wouldn't be the focus of a series chronicling that period.

Edited by Christopher, 12 March 2009 - 11:27 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

For myself, I'd've liked to have seen one tableau in Revenge of the Sith during the purge scenes where a "Jedi with no name" was shown JMT-ing the clones into executing the wrong person and reporting the Jedi dead before departing; thus implying that more than simply Obi-wan and Yoda escaped, thus jibing with what Ben Kenobi said about "the Jedi were hunted down and destroyed, " in Star Wars.

But as for the series ... well, Jedi-free could work, but, like the Clone Wars series, I have little to no interest in seeing it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

View PostG-man, on Mar 12 2009, 04:47 PM, said:

But as for the series ... well, Jedi-free could work, but, like the Clone Wars series, I have little to no interest in seeing it.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Yeah. I have been feeling that Star wars has been growing away from me for some time now. And that is just sad. :(

But for the little kid who lives inside me I will still check out the first few episodes hoping just hoping to capture just a fraction of what I felt when I first saw the opening minutes of Star Wars...

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 12 March 2009 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

View PostG-man, on Mar 12 2009, 12:47 PM, said:

For myself, I'd've liked to have seen one tableau in Revenge of the Sith during the purge scenes where a "Jedi with no name" was shown JMT-ing the clones into executing the wrong person and reporting the Jedi dead before departing; thus implying that more than simply Obi-wan and Yoda escaped, thus jibing with what Ben Kenobi said about "the Jedi were hunted down and destroyed, " in Star Wars.

Well, I figure Ben said that because it was preferable to saying "The Jedi all got shot in the back like chumps when our own soldiers turned on us, because we didn't bother to read the text of the clone troopers' general orders." ;)

Facebook Author Page

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

View PostChristopher, on Mar 12 2009, 12:21 PM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 12 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

What remaining Jedi?  Aren't there exactly two of those at the end of Episode III?

I didn't make the assumption that every single Jedi in the galaxy had ben succesfully executed, no.  Most?  Sure.  The vast majority?  Absolutely.  But not one off-camera Jedi out of hundreds (or thousands?) managed to escape?  I mean, yeah, they can do it that way, but as I said, to me that's a bummer.

Doesn't it sort of contradict something Jabba said to Luke in ROTJ about having beein involved in killing Jedi? After Sith, I reinterpreted that line to imply that bounty hunters had been involved in tracking down and executing the last remaining Jedi, the ones that had managed to escape or evade the clones.  

eT--> I'm definitely not suggesting a series where they would do kill-the-jedi-of-the-week episodes, just that the wiggle room exists to have a Jedi or two on the show.  Of course, they would have to meet tragic ends, but that should probably be true for most of the characters, Jedi or no.  Drew has a good point, though, about the need to put the burden of building the Rebellion on the shoulders of normal people/aliens instead of Jedi with magic powers.  

I do think that same point could be made without some kind of "no Jedi" rule, though.   Possibly better.  (What is Star Wars without the Jedi mythology, anyway?)

ETA:

chris said:

If a series set in between the trilogies had Jedi running around all over the place, being major players in the events of the period, it would contradict everything we know about the period. Maybe there could be a few survivors -- I, for one, wouldn't mind if Ahsoka Tano somehow managed to escape the hit squads -- but they shouldn't be a visible presence in galactic affairs during the inter-trilogy period. And therefore it stands to reason that they wouldn't be the focus of a series chronicling that period.

I agree with all of that, but I don't think it means there can be no Jedi characters.  Let's say a few stragglers did survive.  Wouldn't they be expected to attempt to start training new padawans?  Trying to resurrect the old way?  And wouldn't the people trying to organize a resistance go along with this?  

Of course, it wouldn't work out -- couldn't work out -- and the ordinary people would ultimately realize they were on their own, but it seems a pretty reasonable first effort from a people who had known no other way for thousands of years.

Edited by BklnScott, 12 March 2009 - 12:26 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#17 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 12 2009, 05:17 PM, said:

eT--> I'm definitely not suggesting a series where they would do kill-the-jedi-of-the-week episodes, just that the wiggle room exists to have a Jedi or two on the show.  Of course, they would have to meet tragic ends, but that should probably be true for most of the characters, Jedi or no.  Drew has a good point, though, about the need to put the burden of building the Rebellion on the shoulders of normal people/aliens instead of Jedi with magic powers.  

I do think that same point could be made without some kind of "no Jedi" rule, though.   Possibly better.  (What is Star Wars without the Jedi mythology, anyway?)

I could get behind seeing Jedi on the show, I agree that there is nothing that states ALL Jedi died. The books are full of Jedi that got away on General Order day! But I don't want a downer series. Yes, Star Wars has tragic events but on the whole, like in the much better original trilogy our Heroes shold face certain destruction with a quip on their lips and a blaster at the ready.

enTranced
Posted Image

#18 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

Oh for pizza's sake Chris, lighten up.  Thanks for the unneeded sermon, but I never said Jedi should be the exclusive point.  But just as Lucy Lawless said about the thought of a Xena project without Ares:  "Not having him incorporated would be like painting with half a palatte."  Jedi are an intregral part, part, a constituent, of Star Wars.
I didn't suggest every episode focus non-stop on a fleeing Jedi.  
I said simply:  there ought to be Jedi.

And it goes without saying that fandom is not monolithic,  :tired: but there are strong consensuses, and I'd wager the combination of Jedi-loving and Star Wars is in the resounding majority.

It took G-man little time to come up with a pretty provocative solution.  Open one of the eps with a one or more Jedi escaping hits, or sensing the need to flee before assassins located them ... there's possibilities aplenty, I'm sure.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Personally, I think a TV series set thousands of years before the fall of the Republic would be much more interesting. But I'm one of those fans that find the Jedi to be one of the most interesting parts about the Star Wars universe. Thankfully, BioWare is making an MMORPG that's set in the period of the Old Republic. As for this TV series, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. It doesn't sound all that appealing to me at the moment though.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 12 2009, 01:17 PM, said:

I'm definitely not suggesting a series where they would do kill-the-jedi-of-the-week episodes, just that the wiggle room exists to have a Jedi or two on the show.  Of course, they would have to meet tragic ends, but that should probably be true for most of the characters, Jedi or no.

Not necessarily.  We might see the early days of characters such as Mon Mothma or other Rebel Alliance leaders from the OT.  Personally I'm hoping we'll see occasional appearances by Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa, and get acquainted with the Royal House of Alderaan and its developing role in the rebellion.  And the original characters created for the show could easily be ones who survive into the OT era.  After all, the series will focus on the rise of the rebellion, and the rebellion was alive and well in the OT.  It's not like The Clone Wars where we know almost all the characters have to end up dead at a certain point.

Drew has a good point, though, about the need to put the burden of building the Rebellion on the shoulders of normal people/aliens instead of Jedi with magic powers.  

They could indeed include Jedi stories occasionally, but I think it should wait.  For now, for the early days of the series, I think it's the right decision to say "We're not going to do more Jedi stories for a while, but are going to make a point of creating a distinct identity and focus for this series."  Give it a year or two to carve out its own niche, discover its own voice.  Then, later, once its own identity is sufficiently established, you can begin bringing in the occasional story about Jedi.  But if you don't make a point of avoiding Jedi-centric stories early on, that makes it too easy to fall back into old patterns and just do more of the same stuff that's been done before.

It's the same reason Stargate Atlantis had its team cut off from Earth for the first season: so that the writers wouldn't give in to the natural temptation to do SG-1 crossovers and sequels.  And it's the same reason ST:TNG initially avoided stories about Romulans and Klingons and Vulcans.  When a work is being derived from something else, it helps to give it a bit of distance so it can define its own identity.  Then, once it has some momentum of its own, you can begin phasing in elements of the source work and they won't overwhelm the new concept.

Facebook Author Page

2 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

G-man