• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I was driving home by way of Indian Wells this evening, and happened to pass the tennis stadium where that big tournament is being played.  I thought of a tournament my mom took me to when I was 5.  While she watched the action, I played in the sandbox with the niece of Pancho can't remember his last name, but he was a big name in tennis in the early 50s.  

Anyway, my mom could have been a world class player, she was that good.  So I was thinking how nice it would have been if she had come out to visit and I had taken her to a tennis tournament and then it hit me.  She's gone.  And she died of other people's smoke.  She was a lifelong nonsmoker, but she lived her life among heavy smokers.  

And I cried.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#42 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

My parents smoked and I had a lot of ear infections as a kid, but any connection was not known then, so I do not blame them for my hearing loss. So, no, it was not abuse back then.

Now, having grown up with smokers, but never becoming a smoker, I never thought about it being a bad thing to live with another smoker. Yep, my ex smoked and when our son was born, he promised he would quit smoking. Didn't happen and my son had ear infections constantly. It wasn't until we separated that my son's health improved. Proof enough for me was that he had ear trouble (his ears hurt, which sometimes ended up in an infection, length of visit seemed to make a difference) every time he visited his dad. That is second hand smoke.
And yes, knowing what we know today about cigarette smoke, it is abuse.

Third hand I had never heard of, but can believe it as a possibility. All I have to do is be around someone who has the smell lingering on them and it will trigger a migraine. Now, I am not talking about passing by, I am talking about prolonged, close exposure.

View PostSparkyCola, on Mar 16 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

So how do you account for me? You know I'm a casual smoker, and that I would *always* rather hang around with smokers -- I just tend to find them more interesting, and more fun, than people who are all like, "I can't believe you didn't bring your yoga mat! Well, we can still do pilates."

As a non-smoker, I object to that...distinctly bizarre... characterisation of non-smokers.

Sparky
I have to agree with Sparky, Scott.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#43 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

View PostBklnScott, on Mar 16 2009, 06:48 PM, said:

View PostLord of the Sword, on Mar 16 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on Mar 16 2009, 08:12 PM, said:

No it doesn't, yes you are, yes it is, and it is spousal abuse as well.  IMO of course.

We're getting closer to the fiction world of "Demolition Man" everyday. Hell, nowadays if you even yell at a child people want to say it's abuse.

I think it's pretty easy to draw the line between yelling at a child (morally neutral--possibly bad, but possibly necessary) and, y'know, poisoning them (*never* OK).

Agreed.

LotS, your over-the-top child abuse theory actually makes me grateful that people "say it's abuse" more easily. I grew up in the 1950's Navy - alcoholism among the enlisted men was sky-high, and men beat their wives and children with no consequences whatever (unless they happened to kill one of them during the beating). In fact, if a woman spoke out about abuse SHE was likely to be the one scorned. The military has always been really good at covering up unpleasant actions among their own. And the civilian world wasn't much different.

I'm extremely glad that I'm alive now, in a time where child abuse and alcoholism are less likely to be taken for granted.

And I had chronic otitis media (ear infections) as a kid with two smokers in the house. I have serious hearing loss in both ears now as a result of having my ear drums punctured and drained so many times when I was a kid. I stopped getting ear infections in my late 20's when I stopped being around smokers all the time.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Nonny}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Edited by Rhea, 18 March 2009 - 03:19 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#44 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{Rhea}}}}}}}}}}}

I wonder if my mom saved my hearing by giving me a pillow full of heated up salt to sleep with instead of taking me to the doctor.    :)   She rolled it up so I could unroll it as it cooled, but always fell asleep before it could have spilled out.   :D   I remember how good it felt.  I still have ear problems, pain mostly, as many adults who grew up with smoking parent do, but no hearing loss.  

Of course, Mom used to say that I didn't have a hearing problem, I had a listening problem, but that's a whole nother thing.    :lol:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#45 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

View PostElara, on Mar 18 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Mar 16 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

So how do you account for me? You know I'm a casual smoker, and that I would *always* rather hang around with smokers -- I just tend to find them more interesting, and more fun, than people who are all like, "I can't believe you didn't bring your yoga mat! Well, we can still do pilates."

As a non-smoker, I object to that...distinctly bizarre... characterisation of non-smokers.

Sparky
I have to agree with Sparky, Scott.
Me too.    :blink:
Posted Image

#46 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

View PostElara, on Mar 18 2009, 11:13 AM, said:

My parents smoked and I had a lot of ear infections as a kid, but any connection was not known then, so I do not blame them for my hearing loss. So, no, it was not abuse back then.

Now, having grown up with smokers, but never becoming a smoker, I never thought about it being a bad thing to live with another smoker. Yep, my ex smoked and when our son was born, he promised he would quit smoking. Didn't happen and my son had ear infections constantly. It wasn't until we separated that my son's health improved. Proof enough for me was that he had ear trouble (his ears hurt, which sometimes ended up in an infection, length of visit seemed to make a difference) every time he visited his dad. That is second hand smoke.
And yes, knowing what we know today about cigarette smoke, it is abuse.
{{{{{{{Elara and Elara's son}}}}}}}

Third hand I had never heard of, but can believe it as a possibility. All I have to do is be around someone who has the smell lingering on them and it will trigger a migraine. Now, I am not talking about passing by, I am talking about prolonged, close exposure.
Bummer about the migraine.  I only gag and get sniffly and my eyes sting, but all I have to do is pass someone with a strong smoke odor on their clothes, hair, breath.  At least it goes away when I get away from them.  Which can be a problem in the travel pay line at the VA hospital, but lately I've noticed that a lot more veterans have successfully quit.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, 3rd hand smoke, sham?, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users