No replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

Patrick Kinna dies at 95; Churchill's stenographer during WWII

Reporting from London Patrick Kinna, whose wartime duties as stenographer to Winston Churchill included taking dictation as the prime minister bathed, has died. He was 95.

He was a witness to the famous encounter between a naked Churchill and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt at the White House at Christmas time in 1941.

Kinna died March 14 in Brighton on England's south coast, according to announcements published by Hanningtons Funeral Directors. The cause of death was not disclosed...

Kinna was reluctant to join Churchill's staff and had told the prime minister's parliamentary private secretary, or PPS, that he had decided not to accept.

"The PPS had restrained himself until then, but now he told me that this was the nearest thing to a royal command I was ever going to get," Kinna recalled. "If the prime minister wanted me on his staff, then I started on Monday. So I did."

Kinna declined an offer to remain with Churchill after the war....

Yikes!  Yes, Minister comes to mind.    :blink:

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Patrick Kinna, Churchill's Stenographer, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users