Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

right now.  Not bad.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Preliminary report is 4.7, about 80 miles southeast of where I am.  

They changed the USGS website, I can't find the page I want.  

Wo!  Mild aftershock.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

Oddly enough, I had just been scanning this article in LA Times:  
At the Salton Sea, a warning sign of the Big One?
Swarm of small quakes in the Salton Sea area has scientists wondering if faults there are transferring energy to the larger San Andreas, where a major temblor could occur.

9:06 PM PDT, March 23, 2009
Scientists are watching closely to see if small faults crossing under the Salton Sea are transferring energy to the larger, more dangerous San Andreas fault after a series of small quake swarms in the area.

The quakes appeared to be tapering off by Monday afternoon, according to the monitoring system run by the U.S. Geological Survey and Caltech. But in a 48-hour period starting Saturday morning, 42 quakes shook just south of Bombay Beach on the Salton Sea. The quakes ranged in magnitude from 0.5 to 3.3, with three larger than 3.0 hitting the area Saturday afternoon.....
Yes, it was another Salton Sea quake this morning.
Posted Image

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

{{{{Nonny}}}

I hope you and your neighbors are okay.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

ugh....we don't need a big quake.  now or ever.

someone i used to know who was an amateur geologist claimed that small quakes were good because it "released tension" and the longer we went without little shocks, the bigger the so called Big One would end up being.  guess there's no truth to this?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:07 AM

View PostCheile, on Mar 25 2009, 01:03 AM, said:

ugh....we don't need a big quake.  now or ever.

someone i used to know who was an amateur geologist claimed that small quakes were good because it "released tension" and the longer we went without little shocks, the bigger the so called Big One would end up being.  guess there's no truth to this?

4.7 is hardly a big quake.  It's a pretty mellow one.  It's the 5 and above's that you have to start worrying over.  I'd rather have a few small ones to settle the plates down than have them stay quiet and built up too much pressure.  There was a small one yesterday in Northern California as well.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

{{{{{Saul}}}}}

Yeah, we're okay.  Some slept through it, some it woke, I just happened to be online already.   :)

4.8 quake rattles Salton Sea area
No damage is reported, but seismologists are watching the area closely because a large jolt on the San Andreas fault could set off a major earthquake.

... "The only interesting thing about this one is that it occurred at the end of the San Andreas fault," said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at Caltech. "Bombay Beach is considered the southern end of the San Andreas fault. The last swarm of earthquakes similar to this was in 2001. We're watching it closely. We'll be analyzing everything."

There have been at least 23 aftershocks, the largest a 3.1, which struck at 6:52 a.m. in the same area, Hutton said. No damage was reported in the thinly populated area.

Over the weekend, the Salton Sea was struck by 42 smaller quakes during a 48-hour period beginning Saturday morning and tapering off early Monday....
Um, the only thing?    :rolleyes:   I find the series of small aftershocks, which makes the floor tremble slightly, fascinating, myself.   ;)
Posted Image

#8 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

My friend that lives in San Diego felt nothing and was sort of good natured
but didn't understand why I called her all worried and stuff.  :blush:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Earthquake, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users