6 replies to this topic

#1 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Cracks Start to Form in Fargo Levee

The Red River rose to 40.2 feet early Friday, breaking a 112-year-old record and creating a quandary for emergency officials who can no longer rely on historical data to guide their response.

City officials evacuated a neighborhood of about 150 homes early Friday after they found cracks in a levee. Capt. Tod Dahle said the residents were evacuated because the neighborhood lies between a primary and contingency levee.

"We do not want to give up yet. We want to go down swinging if we go down," Walaker said. "Does that put fear in everybody's heart? I hope it doesn't. We have to do everything possible to be successful. And I think that's what everybody is committed to."

The evacuation of the 150 homes in the Fargo neighborhood was ordered after "longitudinal cracks were found in the earthen levee built to protect the area from floodwaters," according to a city news release.

Sandbags are used to bolster dikes in residential areas around Fargo, while the city dikes are reinforced with clay.

Some pictures of the flooding:  
http://nathanbergeso...vel=album&id=14

These pictures are mostly along the river and the levees are back some distance from the river on the Fargo side of the river.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#2 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

It really galled me that President Obama tried to use flooding along the Red River as proof of global warming, ignoring the fact that when you have more snow and ice farther north (the Red River flows north) plus you have frozen ground preventing the water from going into the ground, you get flooding. Far from proof of global warming, if we actually had global warming, we wouldn't have flooding on the Red River. But hey, never let a crisis go to waste, right?  :sarcasm:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#3 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

View PostDrew, on Mar 27 2009, 02:38 PM, said:

It really galled me that President Obama tried to use flooding along the Red River as proof of global warming, ignoring the fact that when you have more snow and ice farther north (the Red River flows north) plus you have frozen ground preventing the water from going into the ground, you get flooding. Far from proof of global warming, if we actually had global warming, we wouldn't have flooding on the Red River. But hey, never let a crisis go to waste, right?  :sarcasm:

I'll grant that was a dumb statement and pure conjecture as to the underlying cause of the floods.  *However* I think you're tapdancing towards a point that needs to be refuted--in that Global Warming/Climate Change doesn't mean "warmer everywhere" nor is global warming ruled out as a potential cause or contributing factor for these floods.

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

^Really just once can we can the politics until the crisis is over!  These are Americans who stand to loose their homes.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Bah humbug on what is the underlying cause - I just hope the river doesn't crest at the height they fear. May it warn up too, because they say that sandbags just don't stop water well when they're frozen.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

^Really just once can we can the politics until the crisis is over! These are Americans who stand to loose their homes.

I agree with CJ.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

View PostShalamar, on Mar 27 2009, 05:33 PM, said:

Bah humbug on what is the underlying cause - I just hope the river doesn't crest at the height they fear. May it warn up too, because they say that sandbags just don't stop water well when they're frozen.

This is one of the big problems they are having.   The permament levee in Fargo is 40 feet tall.  They have built it up another 3 to 4 feet with sandbags to handle the extra water.
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, N.Dakota, Fargo Levees, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users