2 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

http://www.telegraph...pping-beer.html

Mrs Williams said: "I was on a rare night out with some friends. I had a pint of lager and a friend offered to get me another half that was going to be my limit.

"He was refused service because it was for me. When I later took a sip from another friend's glass, the assistant manageress asked me and my friends to leave.
"I understand what the pub was thinking about but they didn't approach me to discuss it they were just rude and ordered us out.

"I know the management has the right to refuse service but the assistant manageress was using that right to impose her opinions about what pregnant women should and shouldn't be consuming."
Department of Health guidelines recommend no alcohol for pregnant women but the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists says there is no evidence that a couple of units equivalent to a pint of beer once or twice a week will do any harm.

A pub spokeswoman said Mrs Williams, "a heavily pregnant lady who was drinking alcohol", and her friends had been asked to leave because the assistant manager was concerned.
"Whilst the team member may have believed she was acting with her own good intentions, she did not handle the situation in an appropriate manner and we are carrying out an immediate and full internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding her behaviour."

I read that Pubs in the UK have the right to refuse service for no/any reasons... If true, does that include discriminatory reasons? I'm not talking about pregnant women, *any* reason is kind of broad....
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

I fully believe that a business owner has the right to refuse service to any one they chose to - and of course it is their own equal right to lose money when they turn patrons away...

No one should ever be forced to sell / provide service to another.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

View PostShalamar, on Apr 4 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

I fully believe that a business owner has the right to refuse service to any one they chose to - and of course it is their own equal right to lose money when they turn patrons away...

No one should ever be forced to sell / provide service to another.

Even for groups protected under equal rights laws? If they do do they need to put up signage so people know before they try to get onto the premises? Do you feel the same about those who sell essential/neccessary products/services? And also in hiring? Not saying you are wrong, I can understand it to an extent, just wondering over things. I don't expect a church to 'hire' a woman as a priest if that is against their religion, or allow women to have a religious rite that is only given to men... The idea of business doing the same thing, and having to figure out which ones to frequent makes my head swirl. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out *what* to buy when I do the hated shopping task, much less *where* to buy it ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Pregnancy, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users