Natural Disasters Earthquake Italy 2009

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

At least 50 people have been killed in a powerful earthquake that struck central Italy, Italian officials say.

Five children are said to be among the dead and many remain unaccounted for as a massive search for those trapped is under way.

The 6.3-magnitude quake struck at 0330 (0130 GMT) close to L'Aquila city, 95km (60 miles) north-east of Rome.

A civil protection official said 3,000 to 10,000 buildings in the medieval city may have been damaged.

And as many as 50,000 people are feared to have been made homeless.

A university dormitory, churches and a bell tower are believed to be among the buildings that had collapsed.

BBC

Obviously, Italy is a very geologically active country, they have thousands of earthquakes; but earthquake prediction is still unreliable and in its infancy as a science.

The death count is likely to rise, they're still digging people out of the rubble. :(

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

It's very sad.
Earthquakes, volcanoes, Italy has them all but we still forget so easily.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#3 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

:(

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

A 6.3 magnitude quake is huge. I can't imagine the damage this has done....I feel for those who are dealing with the effects.

Altogether, 26 cities and towns have been damaged, officials say. In L'Aquila, 95km (60 miles) north-east of Rome, between 3,000 and 10,000 buildings in the medieval city may have been damaged.

Between 30,000 and 40,000 people are believed to have lost their homes and the authorities are working to find them shelter before nightfall.

Edited by Spectacles, 06 April 2009 - 08:13 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Ouch. I don't know what else to say.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 ilexx

ilexx
  • Islander
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on Apr 6 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

Obviously, Italy is a very geologically active country, they have thousands of earthquakes; but earthquake prediction is still unreliable and in its infancy as a science.

Sparky

That's true; however, according to reports in the German media (Tagesschau, so rather reliable source), scientists trying to predict earthquakes based on radon emissions had issued a serious warning for the region last Friday, only to get a severe reprimand from the government for recklessly causing a panic.

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

View Postilexx, on Apr 6 2009, 10:53 AM, said:

View PostSparkyCola, on Apr 6 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

Sparky

That's true; however, according to reports in the German media (Tagesschau, so rather reliable source), scientists trying to predict earthquakes based on radon emissions had issued a serious warning for the region last Friday, only to get a severe reprimand from the government for recklessly causing a panic.

That's sad... :(

Keeping those affected in prayers..

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

The death toll is now above 90
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#9 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

179 and rising now -

from the BBC News

A scientist's claim to have forecast an earthquake that killed dozens of people in central Italy has been challenged by authorities and experts.

Italian researcher Giampaolo Giuliani said he had forecast a major quake in the area by measuring emissions of a radioactive gas, radon.

But the head of Italy's civil protection agency dismissed the claim.

Other scientists have also cast doubt on the possibility of predicting earthquakes with any accuracy.

Shortly before Monday's earthquake Mr Giuliani was reported to the authorities for spreading alarm after locals apparently took fright at his warnings.

That was after a group had toured L'Aquila late in March, telling people through megaphones to leave their houses because of an imminent earthquake.

more here

#10 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:50 AM

((((Italy))))

What a hugely bad week for the country.  About last week, it was announced the Italian debt was larger than it's gnp. :(  They are officially illiquid (owing more than they're worth).

And now this.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

6.3 is scary.    :(  

{{{{{{{people of L'Aquila}}}}}}}
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Earthquake, Italy, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users