Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

1 in 10 youth gamers addicted to video games?

Mental Health Addiction Youth Gamers 2009

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

http://www.public.ia...addiction.shtml

From what I have read so far only American youths were studied which raises some serious questions as to whether this research can be applied elsewhere. Just thought I should point this out.

AMES, Iowa -- Parents have been saying for years that their kids are "addicted" to video games, but a new study by an Iowa State University psychology professor is the first to actually report that pathological patterns of video game addiction exist in a national sample of youth, aged 8 to 18.

In a national Harris Poll survey of 1,178 American youths (ages 8-18), ISU Assistant Professor of Psychology Douglas Gentile found nearly one in 10 of the gamers (8.5 percent) to be pathological players according to standards established for pathological gambling -- causing family, social, school or psychological damage because of their video game playing habits.

Gentile analyzed data collected in a January 2007 Harris Poll survey. He compared respondents' video game play habits to the symptoms established in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for pathological gambling. Gamers were classified as "pathological" if they exhibited at least six of 11 symptoms.

What are the 'symptoms established in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for pathological gambling' ?

The pathological gamers in the study played video games 24 hours per week, about twice as much as non-pathological gamers. They also were more likely to have video game systems in their bedrooms, reported having more trouble paying attention in school, received poorer grades in school, had more health problems, were more likely to feel "addicted," and even stole to support their habit.

1) What sort of retard trailer trash parents let little kids rack up that much time with video games? When I was little, if I was good and I'd done all my homework I'd be allowed 45 minutes with the SNES/Megadrive on weekdays and two hours on either Saturday or Sunday IF my sisters were playing too.

2) Hold on, I used to have an 7 hour school day which is.... 36 hours a week? So was I addicted to school then? And assuming a 9-5 work day isn't that 8 hours equalling 40 hours a week? Does that mean people are addicted to work?

I think using time played is a piss poor method for judging video game addiction. World of Warcraft 'addicts' can easily do in an hour stuff that takes me, a 'casual' a few days.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Juding by the way Square made me drool all over my couch with that new Final Fantasy 13 footage I would have to say this is probably sadly accurate and I am not even a teenager by any stretch of the imagination. :blush:

enTranced - hooked since Pac-Man
Posted Image

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

I make no bones about the fact that I enjoy playing videogames, sometimes for excessive lengths of time. I also don't see any real problem with it to be honest, as it's an addiction that harms nothing bar my own social life (as I don't play online games).

Oddly enough though, I don't recall spending a lot of time as a child playing videogames, though I probably did. It was just the deriguer thing that teenagers did in groups. Rather than go clubbing or whatever we'd have Streetfighter tourney's.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

There are far worse things to be addicted to quite frankly.

As a parent I do try to set an example for my son and in the future when he can play the games himself there will be time limits and he will have to follow the ratings system for content. Other then that, he can enjoy them like I do.

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

I'm actually surprised it's only 1 in 10. :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#6 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Still the stupidest member of the party

• Islander
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

It's not very representative if they only used American youths, especially with the sample size being relatively small.
Posted Image

#7 T_H_Phoenix

T_H_Phoenix
  • Islander
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

I'd like to see them do the same study in South Korea.
Posted Image

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

View PostT_H_Phoenix, on Apr 21 2009, 03:25 PM, said:

Right! Where that kid starved to death in front of his computer playing a online RPG.

I'm not sure if you can call that game addiction or just plain old human obsession. :p

enTranced
Posted Image

#9 T_H_Phoenix

T_H_Phoenix
  • Islander
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 21 2009, 03:39 PM, said:

Right! Where that kid starved to death in front of his computer playing a online RPG.

I'm not sure if you can call that game addiction or just plain old human obsession. :p

enTranced

There are a handful of individual programs here that are about video games (Gametrailers, Electric Playground, etc.)

In South Korea, they have two entire 24hour STATIONS dedicated to video games.
http://www.gamespot....ws/6141627.html
Posted Image

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

View PostDusty, on Apr 21 2009, 08:17 AM, said:

1) What sort of retard trailer trash parents let little kids rack up that much time with video games?

Some parents probably use the video games as a babysitter. It keeps the kids occupied and out of trouble, and allows the parents time to deal with other things. Granted, excessively doing that isn't great parenting...but where the "trailer trash" comes in I have no idea.

Now, as for playing games and being addicted to them. I'll admit, I probably am addicted to the games. When I last xbox 360 bricked up on me, and I had to go about a month or so without it...there was some withdrawal going on. But nothing I couldn't handle. I just found other things to do. But in my case, it was also not being able to play with my friends...since I do play online games.

Speaking of online games...if a parent allows a young child to play a system like Xbox 360 online, and with a headset...they are really stupid. You have to hear some of the language used online over the 360...by adults and kids.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on Apr 21 2009, 04:06 PM, said:

Speaking of online games...if a parent allows a young child to play a system like Xbox 360 online, and with a headset...they are really stupid. You have to hear some of the language used online over the 360...by adults and kids.

And the text based ones like CoH are just as bad. Sure when it is text based then can use language filters but it is not 100%. Everything changes when you go online and that is going to be a challenge for me.

I'm going to use my brothers method with his son for mine. I am going to buy a Leapster pad and graduate up to the bigger ones as he gets older. Then it will be Nintendo's latest gamepad....if it doesn't go on the internet.

Please don't let it go on the internet Nintendo! :eek:

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 21 April 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Die Walküre

Die Walküre

Music Composer

• Islander
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

I tried RPGs before, but quite frankly I don't find them addictive at all. By the time you reach a certain age, you will find video games extremely boring, unless you're engaged in the creative process of it.
Posted Image

#13 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 21 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

Bingo! That's the first thing I thought when I read the article, but I couldn't remember where the kid died.

Seriously American teens have nothing on South Korea in terms of game addiction.

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

View PostDie Walküre, on Apr 21 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

I tried RPGs before, but quite frankly I don't find them addictive at all. By the time you reach a certain age, you will find video games extremely boring, unless you're engaged in the creative process of it.

When is that certain age? My wife is probably counting the days and sadly for her when I am not playing video games I am rolling funny multi-sided dice.....

enTranced
Posted Image

#15 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

View PostenTranced, on Apr 21 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

View PostDie Walküre, on Apr 21 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

When is that certain age?

If you're 40 or younger, you probably don't remember a time when there weren't video games. If you're like me, you have a nostalgic view of the early-80s video arcade. So it doesn't come as a big surprise that middle-aged men still enjoy them. I prefer the simpler ones. I always hated the Nintendo-style controller, which seems to require finger, toes, and a mysterious third hand to operate, so I think that's when I checked out. I still can't operate them, and they look like a recipe for RSIs.

My wife is probably counting the days and sadly for her when I am not playing video games I am rolling funny multi-sided dice.....

I have slight interest in video games, but I far prefer board gaming, largely for the across-the-table social interaction. I have a group of friends who get together two or three times each month for an evening of board gaming. It's like our "guys poker night" except for the poker part. Mostly the German-style or Euro-games, but occasionally we delve into a good Ameritrash title. Although I think we all hated Arkham Horror.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#16 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

View PostDrew, on Apr 21 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

I have slight interest in video games, but I far prefer board gaming, largely for the across-the-table social interaction. I have a group of friends who get together two or three times each month for an evening of board gaming. It's like our "guys poker night" except for the poker part. Mostly the German-style or Euro-games, but occasionally we delve into a good Ameritrash title. Although I think we all hated Arkham Horror.

We don't play board games that much we play RPG's like Earthdawn or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG.

When we do decide to do a board game we pull out something like Battletech. (Giant robots for the wiiiiiinnnnnnn!)

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 21 April 2009 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

View PostDie Walküre, on Apr 21 2009, 10:03 AM, said:

I also want to know what this certain age is. :p I'm 28 and while I've had my ups and downs with gaming, I always return to a controller in my hand and a drink by my side. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#18 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Funny, multisided dice for the win! I've been playing table top / pnp RPG's longer than any one here I think, and have never made the transition for these video games you find on Xbox etc. Those are Not RPG'S, flat out are not.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hmmm.  I started well over 30 years ago.  Can you top that?

;)
Posted Image

#20 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Yes. I started playing original D&D back in 1975, with a group just outside of San Antonio - using the three little black book set and the absolutely horrid putty colored dice that came with the boxed set.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mental Health, Addiction, Youth Gamers, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users