Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

1 in 10 youth gamers addicted to video games?

Mental Health Addiction Youth Gamers 2009

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

That's about when I started playing.

I dunno about you but I'm feeling quite old right now.  :(
Posted Image

#22 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on Apr 21 2009, 04:43 PM, said:

Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

This applies to you girl-gamers, too. :cool:

By the way, it is a bit distressing to me, as a board gamer, that the terms "gaming" and "gamer" are currently being used with the assumption that the subject is videogames.

(Also, the new Battlestar Galactica board game by Fantasy Flight is pretty cool, and much better than one might expect from a TV-show-tie-in game. :cool: )
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#23 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

LOL Drew, I don't feel old, just... highly experienced.

and yes it disturbes and distresses me too- I hate having perfectly good names co-opted by idiot boxes - sorry if that offends any one but I have no use for video games.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#24 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

By the way, it is a bit distressing to me, as a board gamer, that the terms "gaming" and "gamer" are currently being used with the assumption that the subject is videogames.

I remember times when my brother and I would get stuck in some game phase and play it every day for a week :lol: Or if it was Risk, play one epic game over the course of a week :rolleyes: Sometimes, if games involved too much thinking (and therefore were boring for the other player half the time) we'd play two at once, like Scrabble and Battleships :D I retain a strong fondness for Monopoly, but we also played Cluedo, Scotland Yard, Yahtzee, card games, Mahjongg when we were in China, various other board games, and we still do sometimes.

We played on the megadrive things like Worms, V-Rally (go Peugeot 306!), Super Hang-on, and on playstation Need for Speed III (corvette!), Wipe-out, etc. And later we had the occasional LAN game of Age of Empires. Somewhere along the line I completely lost the drift of where I was going with this... :unsure:

Nope, completely forgotten :look: I just got lost in all that nostalgia!

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#25 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

What got me thinking about that was that I was over at the library today looking for some books by Sid Sackson, and while browsing through the 790s, noticed a whole bunch of books on gaming and game design . . . but after getting past the title, it was clear every single one was referring to computer/console games. And not a single Sid Sackson book in the place. Sigh.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

View PostDrew, on Apr 21 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

View PostBad Wolf, on Apr 21 2009, 04:43 PM, said:

Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

This applies to you girl-gamers, too. :cool:

(Also, the new Battlestar Galactica board game by Fantasy Flight is pretty cool, and much better than one might expect from a TV-show-tie-in game. :cool: )

RISK!

We used to make our own boards!

We even had an interplanetary nuclear version where we pretty much ended up destroying everything.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mental Health, Addiction, Youth Gamers, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users