• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hosiery attached to panties, what's the problem? :hehe:

It sounds like another word for prostitute in my mind, I think i'll stick with "tights". :hehe:

Not that I wear tights, ever. Or skirts. Or dresses. Jeans ftw :nod:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 02 May 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#122 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

I don't get the flu shots most years, although some years I do - depends on what kind of flu and how much is going around. I have asthma and I always get bronchitis when I get a cold or the flu, so it's not always advantageous to skip the shot. They're not live virus any more and there are few people who experience reactions now.

That said, the injections NEVER cover all the flu strains that are going around.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#123 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

News at eleven. World not ending. Doomsayers annoyed at having their moment in the limelight ended.

Are you surprised that the media leapt on it? Come on, it's what they do. Meanwhile, for the cautious, it's a win-win. Either the caution is justified, or else - yay no killer flu after all! But bear in mind the Spanish flu started off as a benign cold. Yeah, see how well that turned out with more deaths than WWI.

Last I heard they were concerned it would mix with bird flu and create some kind of (*refrains from temptation to call it flying pig flu* ) ... mutation, that could be really serious. Personally, I'm aware that humanity in its current state is extremely vulnerable to pandemics. Go on the underground and tell me I'm wrong, srsly. So I'm glad people are keeping an eye out and stuff. *shrug*.

Sparky

#124 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 2 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

It sounds like another word for prostitute in my mind, I think i'll stick with "tights". :hehe:

Sparky
:lol:   We could have called them "pantinylons."    :oh:

Do you also have a problem with the thing that's attached to an outside faucet to water the grass or wash the car?   :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#125 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

^ Nope lol, I'm not quite that bad :hehe: It's the word 'panty' that does it I guess.

Sparkyhose

Edited by SparkyCola, 03 May 2009 - 05:27 AM.

#126 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 2 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

Sparky

That would be panty ho's.  ;)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#127 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 3 2009, 03:27 AM, said:

^ Nope lol, I'm not quite that bad :hehe: It's the word 'panty' that does it I guess.

Sparkyhose
Knickerhose?    ;)
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#128 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on May 2 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

News at eleven. World not ending. Doomsayers annoyed at having their moment in the limelight ended.

Are you surprised that the media leapt on it? Come on, it's what they do.

It went WAAAAY beyond leaping on it Sparky. For example-I hardly found a thing to the assassination attempt on the Dutch royals, but the flu was talked about almost non-stop.  :headshake:

Edited by Ghost Rider, 03 May 2009 - 10:02 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#129 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

^^ Yeah - that made the BBC web site main page though.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#130 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Lol, I just saw the NHS tv advert about it...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#131 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

latest news...

this one claims that the 1918's second wave was the worse...hmm: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30563707/

this one says level 5 was set, but points out that the term "pandemic" simply is a defintion for "widespread": http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30567827/

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#132 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

Yes, there will surely be a second wave next fall and winter, and it will likely be more virulent than this strain, but the vaccines will be ready by then, so between that and tamiflu, we should be fine.  It's worth noting that without what some have termed "overreaction" or "doomsaying" at this stage, we probably would NOT be going into next fall so well prepared.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#133 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

Lesson Learned From 'The Great Influenza'

Morning Edition, May 5, 2009   The first great flu pandemic was in 1918, and it kill 40 million people. John Barry is the author of The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History. He talks with Steve Inskeep about the lessons learned from how the world responded to that crisis.
Thought provoking.  Worth a listen.
Posted Image

#134 Shadowfire

Shadowfire

I am a guy lol!!!

• Dead account
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

View PostGodeskian, on May 2 2009, 07:36 AM, said:

Sig worthy. :D

PROUD STUDENT OF SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNVERSITY

View PostRobL, on Jul 20 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Every time I see a political thread I fondle myself just a little bit.............

'I honestly cannot justify that. You see, advertising isn't an art. Appealing to the English? Use someone from Hollyoaks and diss United. Scots? Talk about how evil Thatcher was. SNP is awesome etc. Americans? Well they be thick as sh*t so short sentences and shiny things and some Jesus helps too.. French and Germans? Talk about the war. Irish? f*ck that we can't sell sh*t in Ireland. That's frankly how it all works. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy you're dumping all this cash into advertising... I honestly don't see what you want me to do with it.  And also, that blip in the records in June was me buying monitors.-- never ask me to be 'brutally honest' about a budget.

You of course realise that anything you post here is comprised of ASCII characters? Each character is 7 bits with a parity bit making 8... I guess that's fairly meaningless to you which is actually the point. At most your sentence is a few kilobytes and considering I'm doing a file transfer of over a billion bytes right now those bytes making up your words are invisible with their insignificance, which is exact what I think of your post. Insignificant.

#135 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

:cool: I think that's only the second time anyone's ever sigged me.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#136 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

We pretty much have the bird flu to thank for our current level of preparedness - and this is the first time since they put all those precautions in place that they've been able to test them.

Interestingly enough, the only two deaths recorded in the U.S. - the Mexican toddler who was brought across the border and a Texas woman who lived in one of the border towns - both had chronic medical conditions (they didn't say what).

Edited by Rhea, 05 May 2009 - 06:59 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#137 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

Pandemic declared by WHO.

GENEVA The World Health Organization told its member nations it was declaring a swine flu pandemic Thursday _ the first global flu epidemic in 41 years _ as infections climbed in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere.

In a statement sent to member countries, WHO said it decided to raise the pandemic warning level from phase 5 to 6 _ its highest alert _ after holding an emergency meeting on swine flu with its experts.

The long-awaited pandemic decision is scientific confirmation that a new flu virus has emerged and is quickly circling the globe. It will trigger drugmakers to speed up production of a swine flu vaccine and prompt governments to devote more money toward efforts to contain the virus.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#138 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

^ After hearing that there are 9 cases in my county and 14 in the next and extrapolating from that, I'm not surprised. But is it still fairly mild and treatable? And more importantly, will it come back worse in the Autumn?

Having all this in the hands of the drug companies makes me wary, because I have ...let me see...yep, ZERO trust for drug companies. I just don't trust them at all. :suspect:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 June 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Public Health, Swine Flu, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users