• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:17 PM

What started out as a weekend destined to be the weekend from hell, turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life.  Ready?  Here is goes:

After escaping from my evil job in San Jose, I went down to the Greyhound bus station to get my tickets to San Diego.  That took forever, as would the trip there-about 11 hours.  But, hey, I really wanted to go despite a wee-small budget.  

The Ride:  Everything seems to be going well until I arrived in L.A. to change buses.  This is where things got bad.  I had to wait 3 hours in that dreaded station because they over booked their buses and I had to wait for one that can take me on board.  I finally got there, but was already 3 hours behind schedule.  10am wasn't so bad I suppose.

Clueless in San Diego:  Being my first time in SD, I needed directions as to what bus I can take to my motel just south of downtown.  Seemed like no one knew.  Not even the bus drivers knew.  After wasting about an hour, I gave in and caught a cab to the motel.  He was nice enough to take what seemed like the long route, but at least I was finally there.

What do you mean no room???:  Seems that reserving a room online didn't really guarantee me a room at the Ramada Inn on Comic Con weekend.  They gave it to some other folks who came in the morning before me.  After giving the jerk at the desk a piece of my mind, I left back to the convention area.  The cab driver was nice enough to wait for me and keep the meter running.  Grrrrrrrr.............

Why me?:  No place to stay and $43 later, I am back at the convention center.  I figured, since I came all this way, at least I can go to this dumb thing and worry about where to crash later.  Sadly, my cell phone decided to not work in that area, so I had to find a pay phone to call Godeskian and see if I can meet up with the crew down there.  Then I saw the line to get tickets for the event, and it seemed to go on forever.  I decided the call can wait until after I get the tickets.  Shouldn't be too long, right?  Wrong.  This line seemed to stretch all the way to Sea World!  It was the longest freakin' line I have ever seen in my life!  Yikes.  After finally finding the end, I got in it.  It took two hours to finally get in and buy my ticket.  But I was happy that I actually survived the scorching heat to get in.  Next year, I am getting the tickets in advance.  Yikes.   :blink:

Anybody here?:  The place was huge!  And it was packed with more fans of Sci Fi/ Fantasy and Comics than I ever imagined in one place.  It was incredible.  I even met Jesus.  He was a really nice guy.   :angel: Lots of beautiful ladies there too!  Droooool!  Thud!   :love:   Thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  Had to have a picture with every one of them :)  :love:   :blush:   But no sign of any Ex Islers?  I looked everywhere and couldn't find a single one.  Just too many people there to look and the place was so huge.  They could be anywhare.  So I called Gode but got no answer.  I then went to look around again.  Maybe I might still run into them.

OMG!!!:  Still no sign of the EI'ers, but I met Richard Hatch, got to talk to him a bit, and got his autograph.  Of course, had to take a picture of me and him together too.  Could find Gordon's booth anywhere and sort of gave up since by the time I got in it was about 2pm.  Figured he'd gone and left.  But there was still so much to see even though I was really hoping to meet him too....
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:31 PM

...Sorry, was thinking of all the pretty girls at the con, hehe... :)

It was approaching 6pm, and I had done pretty good covering the place and finding some cool stuff and getting some of my comics signed and such.  Lots of cool toys, but I didn't get or win any.  That's alright.  There was so much going on there, that it is something I think is best experienced than described.  The place was packed with comics, artists, writers, actors, on and on and on.  One day was not enough, which is why I am setting a whole weekend aside for this next year.

At about 6 in the eventing (maybe sooner) I called Godeskian again.  This time I got an answer!  YES!!!!  After telling him I was A Karas from EI, he said he'd look for me in front of the Convention Center at about 6:45.  So cool!  It was no problem finding each other I think since we described each other pretty well on the phone.  We then proceeded to a restaraunt down the street a few blocks where I mest the rest of the Ex Islers!!!!  Yay!  It was even cooler.  Must have been at least 20, if not 30 people there from this board.  Both Ash and KRAD were there too.  It was just overwhelming.  It felt unreal.  It was great.  

I have been told to not expect anything when I first meet people since often times, it can be a disappointment if you did.  But I came to San Diego expecting to meet a cool bunch of people anyway.  And not only were they cool like they are online, but they were even cooler in person.  It was a real honor and pleasure to be with all of them!  My first time at last.  I still can't believe it.  It was a very happy day after all.

I don't want to blabber too much.  I want others to share their experiences as well.  Thanks everyone for the wonderful memories I will have forever and ever :)  And thank you Keith for signing my copy of "Destruction of Illusions" and being so dang cool.  Everyone was soooooo cool!  And Bobdylanite, those paintings were awesome!  You artwork is just wonderful.  Keep it up.  :)

More later...nap time for now.  Laters...

Edited by A Karas, 21 July 2003 - 08:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:00 AM

thanks, Akaras for the report!   :)  :)

Rest up and maybe we'll hear more from you.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#4 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:28 AM

About the line to get in...when I was there it went all the way around to the back side of the convention center.  It moved pretty quickly though.  Only took about 40 minutes to get in.  Of course, when I left later that afternoon there was NO line.

#5 Kelela

Kelela

treat your pets well

• Islander
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:33 AM

A Karas, on Jul 21 2003, 02:24 AM, said:

I don't want to blabber too much. 
....very small chance of that good sir!  Rest up, Type more :D  

Kelela

Edited to add comment about lines....sounds like any DMV office in California!

Edited by Kelela, 22 July 2003 - 04:36 AM.

If there's one thing I've learned .... it's to always have your flexibility in top working condition ;) -- Nikki Peppermint

Things to say when someone says "God Bless You" ----
sarcastic: Are you in charge of God's blessings? 'Cuz, I could use a few more...
humorous: Thanks - I need all the blessings I can get...
flirtatious: "He already did when I saw you"
chatty: "Did you know where the tradition of saying "God bless you" came from?"----
Handmaiden07

#6 Pip

Pip

Still a pervy hobbit fancier... all these years later

• Islander
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:32 AM

Thanks, A Karas, for the report!  :)

Get some sleep and recover from your adventure, we're looking forward to hearing all about the rest!  :D
Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live every day as if it were your last.  --Irish Proverb

#7 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:41 AM

Too much blabbering is good! :D :D
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#8 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:45 AM

I'm glad you had fun. :) It was also a pleasure to meet you. And didn't that line SUCK!? Jid, SW and I were stuck in that thing for a mind-numbingly hot 2 hours! I wanted to kick butt and name names! Or something...
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#9 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:48 AM

Guess they got their act together by the time I got there.  When I saw the line I was ready to turn around and go home. You know when your're trying to get to the end of the line and you know the end has to be somewhere close & it isn't.  It's like a never ending line.  And then you figure you might be in the line longer than you're at the actual convention.

The paper yesterday said that they expected at least as many people as last year: 63,000.  Haven't seen final totals posted yet for this year.

Edited by eechick, 22 July 2003 - 08:50 AM.

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:55 AM

Great to hear the you had such a good time, despite all the problems.

Can't wait to here more!

{{{{{ A Karas }}}}}

#11 Scathach

Scathach
  • Islander
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:42 AM

Welcome Back{{{{A.Karas}}}}
I'm glad you had such a great time :D

#12 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:01 PM

Josh, on Jul 21 2003, 08:38 PM, said:

I'm glad you had fun. :) It was also a pleasure to meet you. And didn't that line SUCK!? Jid, SW and I were stuck in that thing for a mind-numbingly hot 2 hours! I wanted to kick butt and name names! Or something...
I know how you felt, Josh.  I was stuck in that line too.  :)  Thought I had walked all the way back to San Jose by the time I found the end of that damn thing.  The hot weather didn't help, nor did the lack of any nearby refreshments along the way.  Like I said above, I plan on getting tickets ahead of time so that I can hopefully avoid that dreaded experience again.  I had no idea this would have such a huge turn out.

Seeing people in costumes was great.  Hanging out with fellow Ex Islers (My extended family :)) was even better.  Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome there.  I hope I was good company even though I didn't really say much this time.  It was just so awesome.

Meeting Richard Hatch was really cool  He took the time to talk to everyone and never once seemed impatient or tired.  He was just as excited to be there as the fans.  I was really happy to see what a cool person he is.

Galactica SPOILER!
Despite Sci Fi's sorry excuse for their idea of NuGalactica, Richard Hatch is trying to work something out with Glen A. Larson to do a feature length movie on their own.  If anything, have to admire his love and commitment to the original series.   I hope he is successful.  :)

/Spoiler

Back to the gang.  It was cool to see Lil do a filk right off the top of her head.  She is a friggin genius.  :)  It was like Lil's version of MTV Unplugged.  Awesome.  I can't even begin to express just how awesome it was to meet all the Ex Islers who attended the con.  Thank you Keith and Ash for your autographs.  It easily makes up for me not being able to get Gordons :)  Maybe next time I can get his too.  And Lexa's and Laura's.

The trip to and from was more difficult than I had anticipated.  But it was worth every bit of it.  I'd do it again at the drop of a hat.  Only I'd save up mre and plan better next time.  I very much hope to see everyone again, as well as some who haven't had the chance to come to this one as well.

Oh, there is soooooooo much more to tell.  :D
Posted Image

#13 JustMe

JustMe

What a spectacle.

• Islander
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:38 PM

(((((A Karas)))))  I'm so glad that you were able to meet up with us dispite the trouble you had doing so.  It was super getting to meet you.  :)

#14 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:38 PM

So A. Karas, where did you get to lie your head?

Ani
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#15 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:10 PM

Anastashia, RichieAvatar was generous enough to let me stay in his room.  Thanks Richie!

JustMe, it was super getting to meet you too! :)

{{{{{Everyone}}}}}  I hope I have the chance to do this again with all of you.  You all are the BEST!!!!!
Posted Image

#16 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:50 PM

{{{{{A Karas}}}}}}}}}

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get here...I've not had much time to post since getting back  :Oo: .

I was so happy you got to party with us in Keith's hotel room....I was hoping that would make up for just being in SD for such a short time. And it sounds like it helped :)!

It was very good to meet you.  Here's looking forward to next year already!!

And if you try to tell any other story than that I was "napping" during our little get together, I'll deny all allegations ;)!  I was napping, I really was......it had NOTHING to do with the five Seabreezes at the other hotel bar. ;)  :hehe: Well, not much anyway :D!

#17 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:48 AM

Glad you made it back safely, A Karas....And good to meet you!

Kathy :)
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users