• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'll give them a few minutes, then check USGS.  

Felt kind of like a big rocking chair.

edited to give it the title I originally meant

Edited by Nonny, 18 May 2009 - 08:48 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Must not have hit NorCal at all.  The cats aren't even acting weird (well, more so than usual anyways...).
Posted Image

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

LOL See my thread
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

Stupid USGS used to have a site that was easy to use, then they changed it.   :(   I give up.     :angry:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

I'm just glad you are okay - the epicenter is

33.9396 -118.3378

W. 106th street - just a couple of miles from my friends place
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

I tried again, and unless I'm reading it wrong, there was a magnitude 5 quake centered between Los Angeles and Long Beach.
Posted Image

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

View PostShalamar, on May 17 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

I'm just glad you are okay - the epicenter is

33.9396 -118.3378

W. 106th street - just a couple of miles from my friends place
Are your friends okay?  If I felt it this far away, it was pretty strong.  Where is your thread?
Posted Image

#8 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

i felt nothing and usually i'm hypersensitive to this stuff.  how odd.  what time was this?

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

8:39 PDT.  I found it!  Here's a link to the event page at USGS.  I was thinking Hawthorne.  Pretty close.
Posted Image

#10 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

Didn't feel anything in my area...but I was standing up, upstairs, fighting with the cat.............

Bring back Darthsikle!

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

^Who won?
Posted Image

#12 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

View PostNonny, on May 17 2009, 09:50 PM, said:

^Who won?

I did....booted her from the room/office.

Bring back Darthsikle!

#13 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

nope i didn't feel thing one.  O_o i repeat, how odd.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#14 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

Pretty good roller.  No damage.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

4.7 quake renews worries about destructive Newport-Inglewood fault

Seismologists suspect that the magnitude-4.7 earthquake that shook a large stretch of Southern California on Sunday night erupted along the Newport-Inglewood fault, which experts have long feared would produce a devastating temblor.

"The initial focal mechanism is consistent with a slip on the Newport-Inglewood fault, which was the source of the damaging 1933 Long Beach earthquake," the U.S. Geological Survey said in a statement. "Two of the early aftershocks, however, are west of the Newport-Inglewood fault trend. Later aftershocks will help to define the fault plane that ruptured."

USGS officials are not sure whether Sunday's temblor occurred on the Newport-Inglewood but noted that a 1920 quake in the same area erupted on that fault line.

The quake hit at 8:39 p.m. and was centered near Lennox, a community between Inglewood and Hawthorne and east of Los Angeles International Airport. Lasting about 15 seconds, the temblor could be felt as far away as the high desert, Indio, Carpinteria and San Diego County. There were no reports of major damage or injuries.

The earthquake was "a bit deep," originating 8.4 miles below the surface, said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Susan Hough. "That tends to make it less sharp -- less of a jerky, abrupt motion."

As a result, most of the region felt the quake as a rolling motion, though some closer to the center may have felt a jolt....
Yep, 15 seconds is what I reported to USGS, when I finally found the right page, and rolling.  Glad you had no damage, RHW.  You're a lot closer to the center.  My first thought had been another Salton Sea quake, but it was milder, at least where I am, and a lot shorter.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Earthquake, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users