• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

So, after finally getting to play the first game I had to get the sequel fast. Not many games have such a *cough* explosive cliffhanger!

First I have to say that Fear 2 was actually made for the PS3 and the XBOX 360 because this one takes advantage of what the system can offer. The lighting and sound are superb. But what seemed most important to the team is that blood is wet. :p

Yep....Fear 2 is juicy.

Blood drips everywhere in this one, no matter if it is a gunshot wound or if it is a superheated corpse from Alma, this game is gruesome and not in the funny ha-ha gore of Fallout 3, this game is serious and it creates some chilling imagery. I have never seen a game that captured the slick....juicy...goo of blood so very, very well. :barf:

The game also features some great physics which are well used when Alma shows up and hits you with her telekinesis. There is a fantasic moment wen you go to her old school and in unison with the lights going out all the lockers slam shot and furnature is being pushed along in the wake and it is creepy and cool (at least if you like good horror! :D ).

The game picks up right where FEAR left off, or rather a few minutes BEFORE FEAR left off. Now the bad news, if you did not play the first game you might get a little lost. The game seems to expect that you played the first one, or at least know the story.

The good news is, all the questions from part 1 like, "what the hell just happened????" are answered and answered pretty well. I think I am about at the halfway point of the game and I finally know just what the heck Armacham was trying to do with Alma and what the hell a Replica IS! :D

It's also nice to finally know just why poor Point Man from the first game seemed to go insane so quickly! ;)

This game is amazing and I think I finally have a Shooter that beats my beloved Max Payne and Elite Force.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 18 May 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

I think the best thing about FEAR 2 is the visuals. There is a scene over a cliff with thousands of spirits surrounding you which is just incredible. In addition, the music at the very beginning is very haunting and sad.

Gameplay-wise, I thought it was too short. I think part of the problem is the difficulty level/boss level which was too easy. I heard later that they gave out patches on the PC version which made the boss fight harder (Having a PS3 version, I was outta luck). Another problem I had was characterization-there was a lot of it in the first level and then after that the characters were all interchangeable-no personalities at all. Interestingly enough, the guy with the most personality is the one who gets killed off first.

All in all, though, it was a good, scary first-person shooter. I would highly recommend checking out this comedy satire review of F.E.A.R 2:

http://www.escapistm...tion/565-Fear-2

(Rated R for language).

Edited by Topaz, 19 May 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

View PostTopaz, on May 19 2009, 05:49 PM, said:

I think the best thing about FEAR 2 is the visuals. There is a scene over a cliff with thousands of spirits surrounding you which is just incredible. In addition, the music at the very beginning is very haunting and sad.

Good point about the emotion of the game. While it is a horror shooter, FEAR 2 is also very sad. It really drives home the tragedy of Alma which allows her to be more then the vengeful ghost girl of the first game. Every time you go to her tree swing it is just very sad.

Gameplay-wise, I thought it was too short. I think part of the problem is the difficulty level/boss level which was too easy. I heard later that they gave out patches on the PC version which made the boss fight harder (Having a PS3 version, I was outta luck). Another problem I had was characterization-there was a lot of it in the first level and then after that the characters were all interchangeable-no personalities at all. Interestingly enough, the guy with the most personality is the one who gets killed off first.

Wellllll...when you are a dad and only get a short time to play, game length is not so much a issue, LOL! :D

I was sorry to see 90% of your squad die so very quickly though. But you get to play with Snake Fist awhile but then, he goes to. (this is not a spoiler BTW, the game is a horror game and it plays by horror movie rules. If you saw even once you know what is going to happen).

That said, your character is much more interesting then the generic Point Man of the first game. What happens to you and your squad is a lot of fun and fully develops Armacham into the evil corporation it wants to be. IE - Umbrella Corp school of evil. :D

All in all, though, it was a good, scary first-person shooter. I would highly recommend checking out this comedy satire review of F.E.A.R 2:

http://www.escapistm...tion/565-Fear-2

(Rated R for language).

Agreed. Although I disagree with the reviewer about the sequel stuff. The game IS a great follow up to FEAR.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 20 May 2009 - 07:49 AM.

Posted Image

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

Ok that was the weirdest most freakish ending to a video game I have ever seen! :eek2:

My brain reels from the possibilities for expansion packs or FEAR 3.

Now I have to wonder - is Point Man really dead?

If Alma is really in love with Beckett (she pins him to the wall and asks "Don't you get it?" and shifts to her hot body does that mean he will be a villain in 3? There is no way he walks from that ending without Alma letting him. And the only way she would is if she no longer needs him....IE she gets to come back in the body of her child???

And if she is nice to the men she loves, lover - Beckett and Son - Point Man then she would keep them alive somehow in some kind of psychic prison like the end level of FEAR 2.

WOW....

I think I need to play the game again now....

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 Natasha Bennett

Natasha Bennett
  • Demigod
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Forgot to mention earlier that there is a online comic released by Monolith Productions that provides a brief scene of what happens after the helicopter crash in FEAR 1. I can't look up the link because I'm at work and youtube is censored, but I'll try and find it later tonight. You might be able to find it by google.

#6 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

View PostTopaz, on May 25 2009, 04:10 PM, said:

Forgot to mention earlier that there is a online comic released by Monolith Productions that provides a brief scene of what happens after the helicopter crash in FEAR 1. I can't look up the link because I'm at work and youtube is censored, but I'll try and find it later tonight. You might be able to find it by google.

I'll see if I can find it.

In the meantime because that ending is so cool and I did find out that there is going to be a third DLC pack with more one player missions to tie up the plot threads and prepare us for FEAR 3.

enTranced
Posted Image

#7 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Well....I did find this one but I don't think you were talking about that one: :blush:

http://fear.filefron...EAR_Comic;23227

EDIT - Found it:

http://gamevideos.1u.../video/id/23050

Still doesn't answer what happens to Point Man does it? :D

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 25 May 2009 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

Arise dead thread!!!!

And the single player DLC pack is out : Fear 2 : Rebirth.

It is available on the PS store for 10 bucks. The game installs and shows up under the start menu for the game allowing you to choose between Fear 2 and Rebirth.

And....there are good and bad things about the new campaign.

First the good:

This is a pretty big budget campaign! You are playing as Replica Trooper #814. You are literally a faceless Clone Trooper. You and your squad are quite literally dropped into the thick of it in your sweet EPA suits.

The campaign is harder then the main game. Poor 814 even starts the game without slow motion reflexes. Not a big deal for the opener in the armor but you have to get out and it is hard keeping 814 alive. *gulp!*

The opening missions play almost mundane like a ordinary war game but when the freaky machine cranks up BOY does it ever!

The last leg of Rebirth is a Escher print of WEIRD and it is just awesome. Just completely awesome game play.

Paxton Fettel. Yeah baby. :D

The Bad

It's to damn short for 10 bucks.

It does NOT explain the ending of the main game, in fact it muddies the already muddy waters even MORE.

The blood curdeling screem you heard was me hitting the end of the campaign.

enTranced
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users