9 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

My granddad:

Harold William Sorenson

Served in World War II, starting in North Africa, Italy  and going all the way through V-E Day.  Passed from this world in October of 2005 - and greatly missed.

671st Bomb Squadron
416th Bomb Group
9th Air Force

Bomber crewman in twin-engine attack bombers such as the Douglas A-20 Havoc and the Douglas A-26 Invader.

And my great-uncle Ernest Childers

Excerpt from the Army Medal of Honor Site:

CHILDERS, ERNEST

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: At Oliveto, Italy, 22 September 1943. Entered service at: Tulsa, Okla. Birth: Broken Arrow, Okla. G.O. No.: 30, 8 April 1944. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action on 22 September 1943, at Oliveto, Italy. Although 2d Lt. Childers previously had just suffered a fractured instep he, with 8 enlisted men, advanced up a hill toward enemy machinegun nests. The group advanced to a rock wall overlooking a cornfield and 2d Lt. Childers ordered a base of fire laid across the field so that he could advance. When he was fired upon by 2 enemy snipers from a nearby house he killed both of them. He moved behind the machinegun nests and killed all occupants of the nearer one. He continued toward the second one and threw rocks into it. When the 2 occupants of the nest raised up, he shot 1. The other was killed by 1 of the 8 enlisted men. 2d Lt. Childers continued his advance toward a house farther up the hill, and single-handed, captured an enemy mortar observer. The exceptional leadership, initiative, calmness under fire, and conspicuous gallantry displayed by 2d Lt. Childers were an inspiration to his men.

And those others who have passed from this world into their honored glory, made more so for their sacrifice and service to the nation for which they stood up.

Brian Childers aka Joe D'Monix

Edited by Joe D'Monix, 25 May 2009 - 10:20 AM.

#2 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

To all of those who have served in our armed forces, especially those who have gone into harms way so that others may sleep sound and safe far from the front lines. For without you and your sacrifices, large and small, we would not know the liberty that we do, and so often take for granted.

Thank You
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Dad and Joey, who died at times of their own choosing after serving honorably, leaving me the last surviving veteran in the family.  

Dad joined the Navy in 1942 and served for the duration.  He left us in 1968, and left us wondering why.  

Joey, my baby brother, joined the Army in 1981 and spent lonely time guarding the border between East and West Germany.  He was barely older than Dad had been when he left last summer.  

I hope they found the peace they desperately sought.  

A sister and a daughter salutes.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

And let us not forget our friend Emsparks.  His memorial thread is pinned at the Beach.  

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

for both my grandpas....both Navy veterans of World War II and one of Korea also.  both honored with the Purple Heart.  your granddaughter salutes you for helping make a free world that i can live in.

also for my uncle Ed, dad's brother.  Army medic in Vietnam, for whom returning to regular life was too much for him. :(  whose last thoughts were of dad, insisting that he not be allowed to experience what he had.

i miss you all.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

I found this article to be very much worth reading:

Lost Heroes of the War on Terror: Gallant Deeds and Untold Tales

May 25, 2009 - by Jeff Emanuel

Despite taking place in the Information Age, very few of the heroic exploits of American soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines since September 11, 2001, have made their way into the living rooms of ordinary Americans — at least in any lasting way.
~snip~

Part of the problem is a lack of reporting on stories of true heroism among the men and women serving this country in war zones around the world. After all, how can people know of the deeds being done by our best and brightest if the news media — whose sole raison d’ętre is to report on deeds and events — doesn’t the job it exists to do?

This lack of reporting on American military heroism isn’t due to a lack of media access to the military in any form. On the contrary, Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom have begun a new era of access for journalists who desire to observe firsthand coalition military operations abroad, on the front lines, or in the rear, as part of the Department of Defense’s media embed program.

The ability to embed with coalition troops and report from the battlefront has spawned a new generation of independent combat journalists. Intrepid individuals — often veterans — like Michael Yon, J.D. Johannes, Michael Totten, Bill Roggio, Pat Dollard, and Bill Ardolino have followed in the footsteps of legendary World War II reporter Ernie Pyle, giving generously of their time and resources to travel to and within the combat zones that make up the many fronts of the global war on terror, for the dual purpose of accurately reporting on events (something so many media outlets have demonstrated time and again that they are incapable of doing) and of telling stories that simply would not make it back to the American people any other way.

~snip~
Names like Eric Moser and Chris Corriveau, two paratroopers who stood shoulder-to-shoulder against dozens of al-Qaeda fighters on a rooftop in Iraq, fighting for their lives and for their country's honor; Zach Rhyner, an Air Force combat controller who saved the lives of dozens of American special forces soldiers through his quick, effective actions in the middle of an overwhelming Taliban ambush; and Michael Monsoor, a Navy SEAL who leapt onto an enemy grenade, sacrificing himself to save the lives of his teammates despite the fact he was the only person who could have escaped the blast with his life, are far more deserving of remembrance than are the pop idols with which our nation has filled the place formerly reserved for such true heroes as these.

and of course to the four he goes on to recount of in the article.

Once again Thank You for your sacrifices. Mere words can never be enough

Edited by Shalamar, 25 May 2009 - 04:23 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

In memory of my:

Two grandfathers, both regular Army.

My father, regular Army.

My uncles, one regular Army, one Navy, one Coast Guard.

My brother--regular Army.

All enlisted.  All served proudly.

And each and every veteran past and present--thank you for your service.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{Cheile}}}}}}}}}}}

:(
Posted Image

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

In memory of my dad, who served in Vietnam.

Thank you for this thread, Joe.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

For my dad, who made it safely through the desert campaigns to come home, marry and raise his family.
And fingers crossed you do see your 90th birthday this summer, lad. There are too few left to tell us the stories now.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Obituaries, Harold William Sorenson, D'Monix's Granddad, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users