• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

What warm, loving, friendly people they are!  I was hoping for a chance to say hi, maybe shake hands, and I got all that and more.  Both of them wanted to know my connection to the group, so I told them about how my commander used to stand me at attention and try to talk religion at me, having discovered that I was a former member of his church.  Religious persecution was actually named in my award letter for my disabled veteran comp & pen as one of the reasons it was granted.  Anyway, the awards luncheon was excellent, and all the speeches exciting.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

How exciting to meet them.  Good for you, and you know what, good for them.  They got to meet you.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

Congratulations, Nonny!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

Very cool. :)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

Good for you!!!
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Valerie Plame, Joe Wilson, Nonny met, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users