• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:29 AM

Okay, time for me to ramble, and pretend it makes lots of sense.  Which it may or may not.  You've been warned.  Oh, and this is the events.  I'm intending to do a "people report" later.

So, Friday morning, this chump (thatíd be me) gets up at 4:20 am to catch his early morning flight to San Diego.  So, I'm stuck on a cramped plane next to a family with small squirmy children.  It seems to be a common thread to my travelling experience, but I'll get to that.

The girl working customs in Minnesota was kind of cute, but I found the rather large pistol she was equipped with most unattractive.  Go figure ;)

SOMEONE STOLE MY GUM IN MINNEAPOLIS!!!!!!!!  Seriously.  I had one of those bubble packs that are packed with foil, and I didnít feel like being wanded by a security guard.  Yes, I said wanded.  Stop laughing.  

I said stop it!  

Okay, anyways, I put my gum along with my far more valuable metal objects (like my pen) on one of those little trays, and sent it following my backpack through the x-ray box.  There was no gum on the tray when it emerged from the other side.  Theives.

Then it was time to play "kill 2 and a half hours in the Minneapolis Airport."  A phone call to Kaimia (hi Kai!!!) helped in that respect immensely, though Iím afraid I may have bored her to death with my astounding lack of anything interesting to say.  Stupid sleep deprived brain.

Cue a three hour plane ride to San Diego with a nearby toddler screaming for a good two hours.  Fun is a word I'd use VERY loosely describing that flight.

So, I get to the airport.  I die of high humidity repeatedly.  Joshís flight was 1.5 hours late (way to catch a late plane, Josh ;) :p ) so I spent a while waiting for he and Silverwind to show up, since according to Murphy's law, had I gone looking for them, Iíd have missed them.

As it was, it was easy to find them.  I just had to look for the two people who looked just as confused as I'm pretty sure I did.

Cut to hotel (aka motel, aka craphole) after a fun (yes, I enjoyed my brush with doom) shuttle ride there.  So, we're waiting for the lady to believe that Malinda (JustMe) had said we could check into our room.  

A lovely lady wearing a LOT of pink comes in, and I recognize her immediately, though her saying "You must be James" and giving me a hug confirmed that it was in fact Appreciate.  I don't remember exactly what I said in reply, but Iím pretty sure it was something incredibly witty like "Hi Kathy!"

We get checked in, and Kathy leads(?) us into downtown San Diego for food.  We stopped at some Mexican food place, and ate delicious.... something.  I sure donít remember what I had.  It tasted good, and Kathy wasn't lying when she said the "hot" salsa was really very hot.

Random Note of Amusement:  We went to Horton Plaza in search of batteries for Josh's camera.  They have a store called "Hot Topic".  I laughed.  

So, back to the "hotel," where we arrive just ahead of Rov, Monique, Malinda, Zephyr and Lil.  Hugging ensues.  Rov already has his notepad out.  While they get checked in, Kathy goes and talks to the front desk people about getting us into the breakfast room early.

Hotels without central air conditioning suck.  Just thought y'all should know.  (I just used the word "y'all".  :Oo: )  I did however, seat myself next to the AC unit in the breakfast room for an hour while we talked and plotted, etc.  Oh, and bought beer and filled a cooler with ice.  

Watching EIers get drunk is hilarious, I must say.  Supper arrived at roughly the same time both Jon and KRAD showed up, and (bless them) they started drinking beer.  This of course made me think very highly of both of them.  (Some people donít like beer, the weirdos)

Aside from everyone holding forth on What's Wrong with the World (and Drom) Todayô not much really happened thatís entirely worth going into detail about it.  Many a jab was traded.  A large group of (mostly) drunk people went off to buy more alcohol.

Richie showed off his most impressive High Guard uniform.  Lil made fun of Kevin Sorbo's Forcelance techniques with Richie's lance.  Later on, he came back wearing only half the costume.  [Edited to clarify: He was wearing a t-shirt with the costume pants.  So far as I know, he's not actually an exhibitionist.  Now minds firmly out of gutter please] ;)  I made some remark about it being casual Friday on the Andromeda, since by this point my brain-to-mouth filter was mostly off.

Some time later, Monique and I organized a search party (us) and went looking for them.  As we predicted, they came back another way, and we never found them until we got back to the "hotel" too, but it was a nice walk, and San Diego is very cool to walk through at night.  And I'd never been to a grocery store with that big a liquor selection, AND a theft detection gate.

So we arrive back to find that we're being booted from the breakfast room.  Kathy is off "talking" with the hotel staff for the umpteenth time that night (she has this endearing 'angry smile' for when she's annoyed.  She was wearing it most of that time.)

Anyhow, it was up to Lil and Zephyr's room!  I get to carry the heavy cooler up the stairs.  Again.  But that seemed to be my main job while at the hotel, soÖ. ;)

Usmarox had an ingenious straw system set up for drinking beer faster, though I'm not sure anyone needed to drink faster by that point.  (A couple people had already passed out I think)

I finally headed to bed, about an hour before most others, when I realized I'd been up for 20 hours straight.  And after Monique told me I should go to bed for the 5th time.  And stuff.

Edited by Jid, 23 July 2003 - 03:45 AM.

Stay hungry.

Stay foolish.

#2 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:37 AM

CLONE...

Edited by MovieImp, 23 July 2003 - 02:40 AM.

It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#3 MovieImp

MovieImp

Ka-Bloomie!

• Islander
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:38 AM

You know if you start drinking while reading all these reports you *almost* have the fun of being there without actually having the pain and agony of the travel and spending money.  Keep it coming Jid, these are fun as I sit in my air conditioned house drinking Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonades.  Yummy.
It's a Girl Thing Sparkle!

#4 JustMe

JustMe

What a spectacle.

• Islander
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:45 AM

'Y'all' has conquered Canada!  ;)

((((((Jid))))))  Glad you made it home in one (exhausted) piece.

LOL @ "and stuff"!  :)

#5 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:55 AM

thanks for the report, Jid!

:alien:  :alien:  :alien:
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#6 Kaimia

Kaimia

Mystical Elf

• Islander
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:27 AM

Hi Jid!!  No, I wasn't bored to death.   :p  :D  Your tale of the stolen gum was amusing.  

I love the report, keep it coming!

Kai
"Sex is an evolutionary enigma." -Kai's biology textbook

Sed non culpa mea est! -Ovid

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.  Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!  -Algernon from The Importance of Being Earnest

#7 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,026 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:38 AM

ROFL {{{{{{{{{{Jid}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} hilarious and interesting reporting dearest one - more please :D :D

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#8 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:43 AM

Okay, Saturday!

This fine day started off at 6 am, quite by accident.  It would seem the previous room occupant had left the alarm set for 6 am.

Josh hit the snooze button after we all lay there wondering what the hell was going on.  After it went off, he and Malinda spent time trying to figure out how to shut the alarm off.  In the process, they managed to set the clock an hour ahead too.

Our shower sucked.  The hot water tap was broken.  On the plus side, I was VERY awake after my shower.

I believe this may also have been the morning Josh bounced around our hotel room in a towel trying to find clean clothes.  I took advantage of having been the second one in the shower to head to breakfast while he finished frolicking. ;)

The "Deluxe" Free Continental Breakfast wasn't so Deluxe.  I think they can only get away with calling it that because they had yogurt.  Mmmmm, yogurt.

We had a laugh over the news article about new pants that have nanobots in them that was on the news that morning.

A bunch of us hopped on the bus to get to the con early.  Josh, Silverwind and I all made the mistake of not preordering a full 4 day pass because we knew we wouldn't make it there for at least two of the days.

Note:  Standing in line for two hours to save 25 dollars is NOT a fair trade.

Seriously, we had to walk over a mile to find the back of the line to get into the con to buy our passes.  There were people in very warm looking costumes in line too.  And there were, in fact, EMT's waiting for someone to get heat exhaustion.

Bobdylanite (Jeanine) called us on Josh's cellphone, and laughed at us still being in line.  I think we were just barely next to the Marriot hotel which was next to the con by that point.

I think Josh also found the guy in line in front of us cute.  I liked the guy in front of us after the following exchange.

Jid: Pointing to painted window showing Wolverine about to Stab Daredevil with his claws  It'd be better if it was actually Ben Affleck getting stabbed to death there.

Guy In Front of Us:  Yeah, but that's obviously not the Affleck Daredevil - his head isn't big enough.

Jid: So very very true. Laughing hysterically

I think the heat made me find everything hysterically funny.

So, we finally get in, and hunt down Jeanine.  We found her and a 'Slump' of EIers (the new technical term for a group of us, according to KRAD) next to the GMW signing booth.  So, I of course did the geeky fanboy thing and got his autograph.  He found the "Highly Impudent Purple Monkey" thing on my name tag amusing enough, which led to the following message on my autograph:

Keep your purple monkey to yourself.  Funny, AND practical advice.  I like it ;)

Ahead of me in line was a girl dressed allegedly as some kind of anime character, which amounted to combat pants and two strategically placed strips of black duct tape :eek: (I pity her for having to remove those later on.  Duct Tape + Skin = BADBADBAD)

Then it was off to the autograph area so that Jeanine could get a painting signed.  While she waited in line, I watched people walk by.  Costumes galore.  Some better done, some more.... tasteful, than others.  Oh, and I talked with Jon and his girlfriend for a while too.  We came to the conclusion that the beer I had bought for Friday night was good, among other things.

By the time that was done, we'd missed the Simpsons panel, but that was okay.  Bob and I headed to the JMS panels after seeing the lineup for the New Line LOTR panel.  It was cool to hear JMS go on about almost everything in length.  Very quick wit on that man.  One of the panels was taped for a special addition for the Season 5 B5 DVD set.  So, you may catch glimpses of us in the crowd, and of Rov getting interviewed.

I was thankful to meet up with Monique there, who like the sweetie she is, had sandwiches!  Mmmm, lunch.

Right after JMS (actually, he ran overtime and Monique and I skipped out) was the Joss Whedon panel.  Coolness galore.  Didn't actually follow much of the stuff about the shows I'd never seen, but he was a very engaging speaker (even if Monique was falling asleep), and brought news of various stuff.

He also made fun of Nathan Fillion, who was in the audience at the time.  I'll leave it to Lil to describe his answer to her question, but it was a very good question and answer ;)

Hit the dealers floor, got what I needed to get, and got the heck out of that mass of people and money.  Got back to the hotel, and then a group of us headed to the supper place.

Buca Di Beppo's wasn't quite ready for us I think, which was fitting considering we weren't quite prepared to have to sing Happy Birthday to someone at every single table around us.  The garlic bread had shaved almonds on it, which was good, but something I originally just attributed to the fact we were in California. ;)

KRAD and Ash joined us for dinner.  Didn't get much chance to talk with them, but they called down the table to inform me that I looked like Anthony Edwards.  I protest that on grounds that I'm not THAT balding, yet.  I'm also far too festively plump to be him ;)

Also, I came to the startling realization that nobody has stellar beer on tap.  So I had the least of four evils on tap that night - Heineken.

Everyone finally got seats (long story) and got fed, then had group photos outside the restaurant.

We all wandered the Gaslamp Quarter for a while, till we split off.  Most of the group went a'drinking, which didn't appeal to much to me at the time, so I spent a far more quiet, but still very enjoyable evening with Kathy, Zephyr, and Silverwind, doing some more wandering, and sitting in a cafe till closing time.  Mmmmmm, coffee AND Italian Soda in one night.  Good stuff.  Our "hotel" may have kind of, sort of, completely sucked, but at least there was a great cafe across the street!

It also meant I got ahead in the sleep department, slightly, since I wasn't out till 4 am drinking.  I also had the privilege of seeing Josh try to stumble around drunk while getting ready for bed while Jeanine giggled maniacally at the debacle.  I just kind of rolled over and tried to sleep. ;)

Part 2 done :)

Edited by Jid, 23 July 2003 - 04:01 AM.

Stay hungry.

Stay foolish.

#9 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:59 AM

sounds like you had a good time.

#10 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:22 AM

Damn you. ;) Every sentence you write that involves me is an incriminating one! And there's nothing I can do about it because they're all TRUE! :D
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:23 AM

LOL, Josh and Jid.

That con report is so very...Jid.  :p  :p

{{{{{{{{Jid}}}}}}  *smooch*
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:28 AM

{{{{{{{{{MovieImp}}}}}}}}}}}}  Glad you're entertained so far :)

{{{{{{{{Malinda}}}}}}}}} Thanks :)

Shamba - thanks for reading it!

Glad I didn't bore you, Kai! ;)

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Rae}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} :love: Wish you could have made it!

It was neat to see you, eechick! :)

Josh - ;)

{{{{{{{{{{{Rhea}}}}}}}}}}}}}} and *smooch* right back atcha.  Wish you coulda been there.

#13 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:40 AM

To be fair, Jid, what I said was that you looked like Anthony Edwards, only with more hair. :)

Oh, and it was Dan who coined "slump of Ex Islers," I merely approved of it loudly. :lol:
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#14 Kaimia

Kaimia

Mystical Elf

• Islander
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:42 AM

Buca's - Good food there.  Mmmmm...  :rolleyes:

Very good report!

Kai
"Sex is an evolutionary enigma." -Kai's biology textbook

Sed non culpa mea est! -Ovid

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.  Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!  -Algernon from The Importance of Being Earnest

#15 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:42 AM

^AH!

Okay then KRAD ;)  I missed the part about more hair.  Or just forgot.  Either way.

And my mistake on the origin of "slump" :) :lol:

Edited by Jid, 23 July 2003 - 04:43 AM.

Stay hungry.

Stay foolish.

#16 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:18 AM

Loving these things!

I wanna go!

:D

Keep em coming Jid
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#17 parisindy

parisindy

Uglier then homemade soup

• Islander
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:12 AM

THERE WAS A LOTR PANEL!!!!

**swoon***

did ya meet gordon...huhhuhhuhuh??
Hope Lives again, serving the pro-Andromeda fandom!!
Totally DBD!

"God bless Einstein, but I had to boost his theory just a little."
-Harper, Decay of the Angel

Remember that a good friend will come and  bail you out of
jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
       "Damn...that was fun!"
Posted Image proud member of the Celtic Kelp... 7672.5 miles and counting Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,821 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:22 AM

gordon liked the t-shirt  :p

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#19 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:53 AM

KRAD, on Jul 22 2003, 10:33 AM, said:

To be fair, Jid, what I said was that you looked like Anthony Edwards, only with more hair. :)
He does...

We should've taken him to the bar on Harbor Dr. that had the sign on the door that said "Seedy bar scene from TOP GUN filmed here"...

Damnnation!

Oh well. Next time. ;)
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#20 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:08 AM

Shalamar giggles over the image of a drunk Josh, and a giggling Bob.

Lol at the 'y'all'... you're contaminated for certain now, Jid!..or is that converted?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users