Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Katrina Victims Will get $5 Homes

Post-Katrina 2009 mobile homes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

The Washington Post

The Obama administration will announce plans today to virtually give away roughly 1,800 mobile homes to 3,400 families displaced by Hurricane Katrina who are living in government-provided housing along the Gulf Coast, officials said.

The administration also will make available $50 million in rental vouchers to income-eligible trailer occupants who move to targeted housing projects, and take over from Louisiana the job of helping residents find permanent homes, said a senior White House official, speaking on the condition of anonymity before the formal announcement.

"We knew we needed to bring this program to a close," the official said. "We also want to ensure a humane and secure transition for all of them."

The sale option comes weeks after the trailer program formally ended May 1, and after Federal Emergency Management Agency officials said they could begin officially referring cases for eviction June 1.

FEMA typically provides disaster aid for 18 months. It extended assistance for 45 months since Katrina hit in August 2005.

About 1,150 families in FEMA housing live in units the agency classifies as mobile homes and park models, which will be offered for sale at $5 and $1, respectively. FEMA expects to free up an additional 600 to 700 units from its inventory to donate through state and local governments and nonprofit groups, the administration official said. Individuals who previously bought units will be offered refunds.

Frankly, this sounded too good to be true-and I immediately got suspicious. Then I remembered something I heard about these mobile homes. All I have time to link to is this, but I'm sure there are other articles a Google search away:

Maybe it's a lasting tribute to how poorly the federal government was prepared for Hurricane Katrina.

But once again, the infamous FEMA trailers are in the news.

After buying thousands and thousands of trailers that ended up sitting in vacant lots, FEMA wanted to cuts its losses by selling them -- at a big loss.

Well, that plan didn't work out either. Now FEMA's buying them back -- for the same price it paid.. But that's the least of the problem.

There's formaldehyde in the trailers, and people have been getting sick.

That wasn't part of FEMA's disaster planning. But then, as we all know by now, there was so much missing from FEMA's planning.

And now, nearly two and a half years later, taxpayers are still paying the price.

(emphasis mine)

What was that saying about "you get what you pay for"?

:headshake:  :suspect:

Edited by Ghost Rider, 03 June 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 RobL

RobL

• Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

As long as they sign away their rights to sue the government, then I'd say "go for it." (Of course, I wouldn't have given aid in the first place, but I'm a mean spirited bastard, or so I've been told........)

Bring back Darthsikle!

#3 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

Saul, not all of the trailers have that problem, and as I understand it those that do have been condemned and are NOT available to be used, given away, sold what have you.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

View PostShalamar, on Jun 3 2009, 01:35 PM, said:

Saul, not all of the trailers have that problem, and as I understand it those that do have been condemned and are NOT available to be used, given away, sold what have you.

I hope you're right.  :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Annibal

Annibal
  • Islander
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

View PostRobL, on Jun 3 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

As long as they sign away their rights to sue the government, then I'd say "go for it." (Of course, I wouldn't have given aid in the first place, but I'm a mean spirited bastard, or so I've been told........)

I'm kind of the same way. I always just thought it was weird that people would live there, anyway. Like up here, in CO, with all the fires? If your house burns down, it's not because someone didn't stop the fire (or started it), it's because you bought/built a home in an area that naturally has and needs forest fires.

Or people who build/buy in flood plains, avalanche/mud slide areas, on buttes or hillsides with the danger of landslides....
"A song for a heart so big, god wouldn't let it live. May angels lead you in. Hear you me my friends.
On sleepless roads the sleepless go.
May angels lead you in."

Blue skies, Alex.

My Deviantart page!
My Films and Animations!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Post-Katrina, 2009, mobile homes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users