155 replies to this topic

#141 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

View PostBklnScott, on Jun 12 2009, 05:23 AM, said:

View PostBalderdash, on Jun 12 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

They (Democrats) talk about Freepers and how terrible they are but I will tell you that Freepers can take a back seat to democrats when it comes to nastiness

Clearly, you don't spend any time monitoring what the Freepers have to say.  My buddy Joe does, though.  Check it out here.

Oh, no I have seen what they write and some of them are clearly quite insane, I really didn't mean to down play their insanity.  I guess what I meant for me it was worse when my own people were doing to their own and in such vicious Freeper like ways.  I found it interesting in someways, that for all of their (Democrats) complaining about "Freeper tactics" they sure did take to those tactics.  I know you know what I mean, you were a Hillary supporter too for a while.

Oh and no I don't monitor Freepers, I usually try to avoid them if at all possible.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#142 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

I'm not seeing the outright hostility beyond the unpleasant Reagan sidebar which is only unflattering imo to some who are stating they are up for honoring thread starter's intentions.  People's thresholds are always different and are a sliding scale day by day to boot.

Now Scherzo, dear, I told you to shave those locks weeks ago.  *Draws and splits chakram 2.0 ...*
Posted Image

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#143 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

View PostBalderdash, on Jun 12 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

They (Democrats) talk about Freepers and how terrible they are but I will tell you that Freepers can take a back seat to democrats when it comes to nastiness

Clearly, you don't spend any time monitoring what the Freepers have to say.  My buddy Joe does, though.  Check it out here.

Oh, no I have seen what they write and some of them are clearly quite insane, I really didn't mean to down play their insanity.  I guess what I meant for me it was worse when my own people were doing to their own and in such vicious Freeper like ways.  I found it interesting in someways, that for all of their (Democrats) complaining about "Freeper tactics" they sure did take to those tactics.  I know you know what I mean, you were a Hillary supporter too for a while.

I konw what you mean, for sure, but I don't think it rose (or sank) to the level of Freeper tactics.  Those people aren't just insane, they're racist, antisemitic, homophobic fascists.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#144 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

View PostBklnScott, on Jun 12 2009, 06:22 AM, said:

View PostBalderdash, on Jun 12 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

I konw what you mean, for sure, but I don't think it rose (or sank) to the level of Freeper tactics.  Those people aren't just insane, they're racist, antisemitic, homophobic fascists.

Agreed.  Now, we need to do something to help Shepard Smith I think, the whack jobs are out to get him.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

#145 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

He's like the third highest paid news anchor in the business.  I think he'll be fine.

#146 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

^^

I hope that you are right because the right could use a voice of reason.

#147 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

I haven't checked or anything, but I'd be surprised if the "controversy" over his speaking truth to power (power in this context=the Fox audience) hasn't caused his ratrings to go up.

Edited by BklnScott, 12 June 2009 - 09:25 AM.

#148 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

He has a kick-ass wardrobe.  To the nines.  :thumbs up:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#149 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

View PostBklnScott, on Jun 12 2009, 07:25 AM, said:

I haven't checked or anything, but I'd be surprised if the "controversy" over his speaking truth to power (power in this context=the Fox audience) hasn't caused his ratrings to go up.

Well, I know he's piqued my interest.

#150 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

I followed the links to the WND sites. I'm stunned. :headshake:

Edited by Rhea, 12 June 2009 - 10:34 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#151 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:26 AM

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 11 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

You know what? Honestly, I no longer think there is any chance for this proposal to succeed.

Let's forget it.

No, we shouldn't. Let's not forget it.  Sometimes the better an idea is, the longer it takes to get it off the ground.  Remember the Wright Brothers. :lilsmile:

And sometimes a concept is basically simple, but realizing it is not; it takes not only thought and work, but time.

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 10 2009, 07:51 AM, said:

Sparky: Posts don't necessarily have to be heavily researched with citations, like I said, they can just be well thought out and calmly stated. It's conversation WITHOUT the sarcastic zingers that add nothing to the thread. Without the baiting and comments intended purely to provoke, without the indignation and escalating anger. That's all. Like I said, we're not writing a dissertation here, we're just having an intelligent debate.

Exactly.

I agree.  Citing specific sources can be helpful in some cases, but sometimes people are speaking from their own personal experience---there is no link, for example, for either my father's experiences as a POW, or for one of my children's experiences with school bullying.  Yet both are valid.  The vital thing is the attitude or approach with which one enters the discussion.

This would be voluntary discussion and debate with standards that promote reason and civility.

And that is an idea well worth working for.  :)

Peridot
Posted Image

#152 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

View PostPeridot, on Jun 12 2009, 10:26 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 11 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

You know what? Honestly, I no longer think there is any chance for this proposal to succeed.

Let's forget it.

No, we shouldn't. Let's not forget it.  Sometimes the better an idea is, the longer it takes to get it off the ground.  Remember the Wright Brothers. :lilsmile:

And sometimes a concept is basically simple, but realizing it is not; it takes not only thought and work, but time.

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 10 2009, 07:51 AM, said:

Sparky: Posts don't necessarily have to be heavily researched with citations, like I said, they can just be well thought out and calmly stated. It's conversation WITHOUT the sarcastic zingers that add nothing to the thread. Without the baiting and comments intended purely to provoke, without the indignation and escalating anger. That's all. Like I said, we're not writing a dissertation here, we're just having an intelligent debate.

Exactly.

I agree.  Citing specific sources can be helpful in some cases, but sometimes people are speaking from their own personal experience---there is no link, for example, for either my father's experiences as a POW, or for one of my children's experiences with school bullying.  Yet both are valid.  The vital thing is the attitude or approach with which one enters the discussion.

Absolutely. What Specs was looking for, I believe, was to try to avoid the kind of posts that aren't any kind of discourse.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#153 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 11 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

Seriously, I had no idea that this suggestion would provoke so much outright hostility. Clearly, this will not work here. Let's forget about it.

My bad. I should have known better.

Reasonable debate with clarity is not the desire of some posters here.  Instead whoever can scream the loudest, work themselves up into a tizzy, or find subtle more witty ways to insult/bait each other is the order of the day.  It is a nice idea Specs if you had a board of people willing to play nice with each other when you are dealing with a hot topic.  The problem is that if you had a board of such people you really wouldn't need a system like that.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#154 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

View PostCJ AEGIS, on Jun 15 2009, 10:54 PM, said:

View PostSpectacles, on Jun 11 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

Seriously, I had no idea that this suggestion would provoke so much outright hostility. Clearly, this will not work here. Let's forget about it.

My bad. I should have known better.

Reasonable debate with clarity is not the desire of some posters here.  Instead whoever can scream the loudest, work themselves up into a tizzy, or find subtle more witty ways to insult/bait each other is the order of the day.  It is a nice idea Specs if you had a board of people willing to play nice with each other when you are dealing with a hot topic.  The problem is that if you had a board of such people you really wouldn't need a system like that.

I hate to say it, but I agree with CJ-and for this same reason, I disagree with both Rhea and Purry Dot.

Not to mention-I find I'm getting more impatient the older I get. Life's too short for me to get involved in long, drawn-out arguments on a message board with people I don't know all that well. I've got better things to do with my time.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 16 June 2009 - 08:28 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#155 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

^You're confusing me. Did you mean you agree with CJ?

(I wasn't even sure which of my posts you were disagreeing with. :p )

I understand your point of view. But as Orph said somewhere upthread, just because we think it probably wouldn't work is no reason not to give it a shot. Nothing to lose by trying it.

Edited by Rhea, 16 June 2009 - 06:44 PM.

- Robert A. Heinlein

#156 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

View PostRhea, on Jun 16 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

^You're confusing me. Did you mean you agree with CJ?

(I wasn't even sure which of my posts you were disagreeing with. :p )

I understand your point of view. But as Orph said somewhere upthread, just because we think it probably wouldn't work is no reason not to give it a shot. Nothing to lose by trying it.

Fixed. :p It was supposed to be CJ. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :p :p

Honestly, I think it's a waste of time. Why? It's based on what I know about people's behavior, and the personalities on this board. People are going to see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, and believe what they want to believe. Some people are willing to at least consider an opposing POV and argue against it in a mature way. Others? Not so much. For the latter, it will come down to snark, haughtiness, and spitefulness, all rolled into one nasty little ball. A number of these posters have made an art form of it.  :headshake:  Thank goodness for the ignore feature. :p

And like I said-I have less patience with people the older I get. I have enough problems going on in RL-and the last thing I need is to butt heads with people who are more or less total strangers on a message board. That, and sometimes the amount of time used to think up and respond to posts gets to be too much. And in the end, for what? So that it gets buried? All that time could have been used to do something else that probably would have been more constructive.

To each his or her own, I suppose. Count me out. :p
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Civility, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users