• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

Heartless elitist

• Islander
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Breaking news - Michael Jackson is dead.

Apparently, cardiac arrest.

Edited by Paul, 25 June 2009 - 05:08 PM.

"All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
- Frederick II, King of Prussia, evil liberal™
~~~~~~
Cameron: "His wife arranged it for an anniversary present. And if you ask me, if two people really trust each other, a threesome once every seven years might actually help a marriage."
House: "Okay, I say we stop the DDX and discuss that comment."
~~~~~~
"Somebody came along and said 'liberal' means 'soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and we're gonna tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to.' And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave-it-to-Beaver trip back to the '50s,' we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please don't hurt me.' No more." - Bruno Gianelli

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

^ There is also a thread in GMD
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yes, but this one was first, by the timestamp.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#4 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

The reports of his death also aren't confirmed. So while it doesn't sound good, saying that he's dead at this point is jumping the gun a bit, I think.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#5 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

i won't believe he's dead until all news sources say so. too much confusion and different reports for any one to be credible.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#6 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

TMZ is reporting he's dead. CNN and other news outlets are being cautious--probably absent an official statement from the family or doctors. Not all of the family has arrived yet at the hospital.

Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer today, too, by the way.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

CNN is reporting that he's in a coma. They may be keeping him alive until his family can say goodbye.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Apparently the LA times have reported him dead now
[Insert Signature Here]

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

CBS is reporting his death, too.

#10 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

^as is ABC.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#11 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

MSNBC also reports MJ as dead.

#12 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

I think he may be dead :(

Edit to add:

Apparently, the AP also say he has passed

Edited by Mr Dust, 25 June 2009 - 05:43 PM.

[Insert Signature Here]

#13 Mr Dust

Mr Dust
  • Islander
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

BBC have 'confirmed' this now
[Insert Signature Here]

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

LA Times reports it's confirmed w/ the hospital that he has in fact died.  (Confirmation came in at 6:15pm EST, time of death not reported)

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

I was saddened by the news of Farrah Fawcett's passing, but relieved too for the end of her suffering.

Never has news of a celebrity death brought me to tears until today. I don't understand how Michael Jackson could be dead. :(

Godspeed your journeys, Farrah and Michael.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Shocking news. :( For an extremely talented guy who achieved incredible success, his life sure has an overwhelming air of tragedy about it.

MJ sure could lay down a funky track when he felt like it though. Maybe the best pop music artist ever IMO. Sad day.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#17 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I loved his voice and his dancing.

:(
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#18 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

And only 50 years old . . .

#19 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Not one pundit has said a word about Jackson's kids yet...I do worry a great deal about them; of course I did since their birth, but that's another story. I think it's very strange that they haven' been mentioned while everyone's busy telling the showbiz story.
Cats will never be extinct!

#20 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

^Actually, former original MTV-VJ Alan Hunter (now on Sirius Satellite Radio) has talked a good bit about him and a minor bit about the kids. (Not too much though beyond what you just said.)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Michael Jackson, Entertainer, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users