Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Michael Jackson is dead

Obituaries Michael Jackson Entertainer 2009

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

I was on a long bike ride to Edgewater, New Jersey. I called a friend from there, and he told me the news.

The shock lasted a couple of moments...and then, I thought back to the CRAZY life this guy had and the controversies he went through. All of that must have taken a huge toll on him. So, when you think about his excesses and controversies, dying at 50 is not surprising at all.

I'm not going to sugarcoat my feelings-the guy was one WEIRD person, IMO, and he basically blew his whole fortune. What a waste to have made so much money in life, and to end up $200 million in debt.

But that man WAS incredibly talented. No question. He will live on forever in music.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

View Postscherzo, on Jun 25 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

Shocking news. :( For an extremely talented guy who achieved incredible success, his life sure has an overwhelming air of tragedy about it.

MJ sure could lay down a funky track when he felt like it though. Maybe the best pop music artist ever IMO. Sad day.

What he said.
Posted Image

#23 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on Jun 25 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

I don't understand how Michael Jackson could be dead. :(

Given his wild life, the only surprising thing is that Jackson MADE it to 50. It's not hard at all to understand, when you look back on his life. :eh:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#24 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

The helicopter carrying his body arrived at the coroner's, and it was just loaded into a van.
Posted Image

#25 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:54 AM

Do folks want I should merge this with the GMD thread?

#26 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

Dev,

Me, personally? No. I'm not sure folks who visit General Media will visit OT, given its reputation. Some do, but I know that others avoid it like the plague.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 26 June 2009 - 06:46 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

I should say one other thing...

Oddly enough, I  feel Michael's death was timely-that he wasn't going to live to be a old man. I just couldn't see it.
Posted Image

#28 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

I grew up with Michael Jackson and his brothers and sisters.  I'm not that moved.  When he was a boy I thought he was awesome and a cute kid, I'm a couple of years older than him.  Thriller was the best song and album of anything ever except for anything done by Led Zeppelin, who in my estimation are the best band ever!

I don't know his whole story but for me where there is that much smoke and weirdness there is some fire and sickness.  I was molested as a kid and I know about molesters, grown men don't have sleep overs with children, that is insane!  Grown men don't offer "Jesus juice" to children.

I'm sorry that he died, he was a huge talent and an icon but so were Farah Fawcett and Ed McMahon but this country is going to go over board and treat the death of Michael Jackson as though he were a President or a Pope, he's a frickin' singer and dancer, a good one but he isn't really royalty and neither are Prince Michael or the other Prince Michael.  That reminds me, hopefully there will be plenty of mental health care for those kids.

The media, what a bunch of hypocrites.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#29 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

View PostGhost Rider, on Jun 26 2009, 06:45 AM, said:

Dev,

Me, personally? No. I'm not sure folks who visit General Media will visit OT, given its reputation. Some do, but I know that others avoid it like the plague.
Oh, I can only merge it the other way -- send the posts in this topic into GMD.

Or do people think it's good to have two different threads, one more for the "entertainment" side of things and one more for the "current events" side?

#30 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

I think it's fine to let 'em be, Dev.  

I wish I'm sure with the rest of the world his eccentricities never involved the suspicious nature of his involvement with children.  I find myself hoping now that he's passed on, it will be admitted or proven a scam, taking advantage of his own childlike adulthood to swindle money out of him.

Apparently he is in the Guiness Book of World Records for having contributed to the most charities in his lifetime.
I wonder if that included total amount given, too.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#31 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

View PostBalderdash, on Jun 26 2009, 08:24 AM, said:

I'm sorry that he died, he was a huge talent and an icon but so were Farah Fawcett and Ed McMahon but this country is going to go over board and treat the death of Michael Jackson as though he were a President or a Pope, he's a frickin' singer and dancer, a good one but he isn't really royalty and neither are Prince Michael or the other Prince Michael.  That reminds me, hopefully there will be plenty of mental health care for those kids.

I totally agree with this post.  And frankly, some of the fan reactions are over the top. All those people hanging out at the coroner's and his star out in Hollywood? Don't these people have jobs and families? Talk about having too much free time on your hands.  :headshake:

One other thing-it turns out Jackson was $400 million in debt. Jesus...talk about pissing away your lottery winnings. I'm watching CNN, and the autopsy is about to start.
Posted Image

#32 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

View PostDev F, on Jun 26 2009, 08:27 AM, said:

View PostGhost Rider, on Jun 26 2009, 06:45 AM, said:

Dev,

Oh, I can only merge it the other way -- send the posts in this topic into GMD.

Or do people think it's good to have two different threads, one more for the "entertainment" side of things and one more for the "current events" side?

I'd rather the threads be left alone. I also get the sense that some people only visit OT and not GM, since I've noticed certain people for the most part only prefer to talk about current events and "bread & butter" issues.

It is a good idea to have two different threads, for the reasons you described. Michael Jackson was the most famous black entertainer of all time, and also one of the most powerful entertainers on the planet. I'm sure he helped to open the path for many up-and-coming black entertainers. And his music crossed all racial boundaries. Elvis couldn't hold a candle to Michael Jackson, in terms of popularity. I daresay Jackson was probably even more popular than the Beatles ever were.

Hell-hands down, I think he really was the King, in that sense. Michael really was the most popular entertainer of all time. That makes his downfall all the more tragic.
Posted Image

#33 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

I was watching news clips this morning showing masses of mourning fans. But I could not wrap my head around the idea that he still had fans. I get the sense that his popularity in Europe never took the nose-dive it took over here.

The news is somewhat surprising, but not entirely. Any time he was in the news, I always got the sense that a life so strange could not possibly continue. MJ spent the last couple decades destroying himself. That the destruction is now complete comes with an odd sense of relief.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#34 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

I think it'd be better to merge this to a single thread in GMD.  It's the usual location for celebrity deaths.

#35 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

View PostDrew, on Jun 26 2009, 10:55 AM, said:

Any time he was in the news, I always got the sense that a life so strange could not possibly continue. MJ spent the last couple decades destroying himself. That the destruction is now complete comes with an odd sense of relief.

Yep.
Posted Image

#36 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

View PostBalderdash, on Jun 26 2009, 06:24 AM, said:

I grew up with Michael Jackson and his brothers and sisters.  I'm not that moved.  When he was a boy I thought he was awesome and a cute kid, I'm a couple of years older than him.  Thriller was the best song and album of anything ever except for anything done by Led Zeppelin, who in my estimation are the best band ever!

I don't know his whole story but for me where there is that much smoke and weirdness there is some fire and sickness.  I was molested as a kid and I know about molesters, grown men don't have sleep overs with children, that is insane!  Grown men don't offer "Jesus juice" to children.

I agree. And I feel truly sorry for him - body dysmorphia - all the endless plastic surgery - is a mental illness, and he must have really hated who he was to go through so much just to basically try to look like a white woman. It's so sad. I always had the feeling he really needed psychological help, and that he was surrounded by people who weren't interested in getting him help.

He never really grew up (he identified most with Peter Pan) so this is probably a kindness. I can't envision him as an old man.

There's not much doubt that he was hooked on prescription drugs, either. Liza Minelli said all hell's going to break loose when the autopsy results come back, so it's good that everyone remembers him now.

I too hate the fact that he's being touted on a level usually reserved for royalty. Guess Farah Faawcett's death isn't worth much compared to music royalty. :(

Edited by Rhea, 26 June 2009 - 11:26 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#37 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

View PostRhea, on Jun 26 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

I too hate the fact that he's being touted on a level usually reserved for royalty. Guess Farah Faawcett's death isn't worth much compared to music royalty. :(

Agreed. That pissed me off as well.

There's not much doubt that he was hooked on prescription drugs, either. Liza Minelli said all hell's going to break loose when the autopsy results come back, so it's good that everyone remembers him now.

I think one of the problems with some fans is that they want to have this idealized POV of their favorite celebrity-to the point that even if there is a very mild critique of said celebrity, these particular fans will tar and feather the critic, not allowing him or her to defend themselves. It really is a scorched-earth policy these zealous fans employ on critics. I've seen this kind of behavior TOO many times in my 26 years in various fandoms, and it's one reason I don't care for fandom-to put it very mildly. :glare:

If Liza's indeed correct, well...it won't be a surprise. But there will be always those fans who refuse to believe their idols have feet of clay-and these particular fans will rip apart anyone who thinks otherwise.  :headshake:

Edited by Ghost Rider, 26 June 2009 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image

#38 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

i think the two threads should remain. this isn't the first time a celebrity death has been brought up in GMD and OT (and i doubt it'll be the last). to my knowledge we've never merged the threads in the past, and i don't see a reason why we should.
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#39 Paul

Paul

Heartless elitist

• Islander
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

^To be honest, I am not that attached to "my" thread so I don't really care either way.
"All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
- Frederick II, King of Prussia, evil liberal™
~~~~~~
Cameron: "His wife arranged it for an anniversary present. And if you ask me, if two people really trust each other, a threesome once every seven years might actually help a marriage."
House: "Okay, I say we stop the DDX and discuss that comment."
~~~~~~
"Somebody came along and said 'liberal' means 'soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense, and we're gonna tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to.' And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave-it-to-Beaver trip back to the '50s,' we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please don't hurt me.' No more." - Bruno Gianelli

#40 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

A sad end to a sadder life, I'm afraid. To see such an amazing talent flame out in such a way. I'm surprised that other people are surprised that this happened. Looking at him in recent years was painful. He clearly had serious mental and physical problems and for the life of me I can't understand how he didn't see that himself and seek help. I feel badly that his life was so messed up, that his father messed him up so badly but at some point the baggage you're raised with becomes your own to deal with and he didn't. Sadder still that the damage he inflicted on children has been swept under the rug in this rush to memorialize him. I've heard comparisons to Princess Diana, which I guess bothers me because she never ended up on trial for touching little children in an inappropriate way. I can only hope that he has now found the peace that elluded him in life. I just wonder how many 24 hour news cycles of Michael Jackson we'll see (I'm betting weeks of it).

Meanwhile Farrah Fawcets death has been all but forgotten, nevermind the fact that her portrayal of a battered woman actually led to legislation to help victims of abuse. Nevermind the fact that she opened up her life and death in hopes of inspiring and giving strength to others in similar circumstances. Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Michael Jackson, Entertainer, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users