Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Michael Jackson is dead

Obituaries Michael Jackson Entertainer 2009

  • Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 G1223

G1223

    The Blunt Object.

  • Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

Ok he's dead. Can we now leave the man's familyto deal with his estate in peace.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#42 Drew

Drew

    Josef K.

  • Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Meanwhile Farrah Fawcets death has been all but forgotten, nevermind the fact that her portrayal of a battered woman actually led to legislation to help victims of abuse. Nevermind the fact that she opened up her life and death in hopes of inspiring and giving strength to others in similar circumstances. Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.

As I was reminded today, Michael Jackson called himself the King of Pop. I'm not sure everyone would agree. :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#43 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

A sad end to a sadder life, I'm afraid. To see such an amazing talent flame out in such a way. I'm surprised that other people are surprised that this happened.

(emphasis mine)

Absolutely. In fact, I find that pretty damn bizarre that ANYONE is surprised. It's either naivety, or an unwillingness to see those feet of clay. More than likely, a mixture of both.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#44 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

View PostDrew, on Jun 26 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Meanwhile Farrah Fawcets death has been all but forgotten, nevermind the fact that her portrayal of a battered woman actually led to legislation to help victims of abuse. Nevermind the fact that she opened up her life and death in hopes of inspiring and giving strength to others in similar circumstances. Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.

As I was reminded today, Michael Jackson called himself the King of Pop. I'm not sure everyone would agree. :cool:

Enough people agreed to make him the most popular entertainer of the last several decades. Can you think of anyone as popular? I highly doubt it. Michael Jackson's fans span all race groups, and many countries.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#45 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

View PostGhost Rider, on Jun 26 2009, 10:00 PM, said:

View PostDrew, on Jun 26 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Meanwhile Farrah Fawcets death has been all but forgotten, nevermind the fact that her portrayal of a battered woman actually led to legislation to help victims of abuse. Nevermind the fact that she opened up her life and death in hopes of inspiring and giving strength to others in similar circumstances. Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.

As I was reminded today, Michael Jackson called himself the King of Pop. I'm not sure everyone would agree. :cool:

Enough people agreed to make him the most popular entertainer of the last several decades. Can you think of anyone as popular? I highly doubt it. Michael Jackson's fans span all race groups, and many countries.

Evis?
Frank Sinatra?
Madonna?
Wil Smith?

:blink:

Edited by DWF, 26 June 2009 - 09:10 PM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#46 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostGhost Rider, on Jun 26 2009, 09:57 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

A sad end to a sadder life, I'm afraid. To see such an amazing talent flame out in such a way. I'm surprised that other people are surprised that this happened.

(emphasis mine)

Absolutely. In fact, I find that pretty damn bizarre that ANYONE is surprised. It's either naivety, or an unwillingness to see those feet of clay. More than likely, a mixture of both.

I think some people are surprised that was 50 years old, we all remember him in his 20's and younger. But it was a mild shock to me, I took a nap after work and found out his was dead, but I got over it rather quickly.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#47 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.

I don't understand.  Last night two of the major networks were showing memorial specials on Farrah.  The third one was covering Jackson.

#48 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

She's not getting as much coverage in the tv/radio news or space in the papers.  NBC had an hour on each last night, which is the last I've watched but I think there was to be more tonight.  But we know what killed her, and it wasn't unexpected, nothing for all the talking heads to speculate about, so they talk themselves into a lather over the mystery of Jackson's unexpected (to the greater public anyway) death.
Cats will never be extinct!

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:12 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 26 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

View PostGhost Rider, on Jun 26 2009, 10:00 PM, said:

View PostDrew, on Jun 26 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

View PostLin731, on Jun 26 2009, 06:35 PM, said:

Meanwhile Farrah Fawcets death has been all but forgotten, nevermind the fact that her portrayal of a battered woman actually led to legislation to help victims of abuse. Nevermind the fact that she opened up her life and death in hopes of inspiring and giving strength to others in similar circumstances. Apparently her death isn't worthy of coverage or consideration, afterall she wasn't The King of Pop.

As I was reminded today, Michael Jackson called himself the King of Pop. I'm not sure everyone would agree. :cool:

Enough people agreed to make him the most popular entertainer of the last several decades. Can you think of anyone as popular? I highly doubt it. Michael Jackson's fans span all race groups, and many countries.

Evis?
Frank Sinatra?
Madonna?
Wil Smith?

:blink:

Nope. I strongly disagree. NONE of them had the level of fame Jackson did, IMO.

Edited to add: the only one that I think that comes close is Madonna.

Edited by Ghost Rider, 27 June 2009 - 12:18 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#50 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

View PostDWF, on Jun 26 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

I think some people are surprised that was 50 years old, we all remember him in his 20's and younger. But it was a mild shock to me, I took a nap after work and found out his was dead, but I got over it rather quickly.

The initial shock that one experiences at hearing such news is normal-but to stay surprised/shocked? Given his life, to stay surprised/shocked at Jackson's death is incredibly bizarre to me. :blink:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#51 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

^(Themis) And that's just it.  Farrah had been ill for years and years, nearly a decade.  Her death was, for the most part, welcomed due to all the pain and suffering she had.

Michael was sudden and unexpectant.  That doesn't mean that it's a complete surprise to anyone, but since since 99.999999% of the fanbase/population wouldn't be following Jackson regularly, it comes to the fore-front of people's attention suddenly.  The fact he was also roughly ten years younger than Farrah and thirty than Ed, makes it weirder for some.

Another difference is that Jackson was a world icon in the music world.  His music and trancendence spread beyond English speaking countries, countries where MTV was invested, into lands where many of the other greats (some already mentioned) were either non-existent or not popular.  He was of course inspiring and opening doors for many people, not just blacks, but especially blacks at the same time.  He created the top selling album during the pinnicle of the music industry.  Like it or not, the Thriller album is music's answer to Citizen Kane/Gone With the Wind in the film industry, in that respect.  (It, ironically, also helped change how the music industry was structured as well.)

Farrah was indeed influential, but in more of a focused area.  She was the face of a decade and made two very impacting movies which led to legislation and recognition.  But in both influences, they were mainly in the U.S.  Her promotion wasn't much beyond that, nor was her impact that much beyond these borders.  (Her 12 million selling poster image of course was internationally appealing, but regulating her to simply a hot blonde babe of the '70s, kind of is contradicting to the other stuff.)

I'm in a bit of a disagreement that Ed Mcmahon is an "icon".  Is he a celeb? Yes.  Was he famous?  Yes, but mainly because of his attachment with Johnny Carson who was an icon.  This is not meant to diminish him or his work by any means, but I just don't think he's on the same plateau as the other two.  That's just me though.

As far as splitting or mergring the threads, I think keeping them seperate in their respective places is a good thing.  I also would recommend that the ying-yang be added to the GMD thread and keep that thread as a mere rememberance and respects thread for the deceased.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9


LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#52 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:33 AM

I agree with Ghost Rider in the fact that Madonna was probably the only one from that list to really influence as many and as wide a variety as Jackson did.  Sinatra was an American icon.  Elvis changed modern music as much, if not more than Madonna, but about equal to Jackson.  (I'd throw the Beatles, Beach Boys*1, Grandmaster Flash [pioneer of rap] and a very select few into that category.)

Will Smith, haha, sorry, but no.  As famous and stand-up guy as he is, he too is on a different plateau.  Though in his own respect of being such an all-around entertainer makes him unique and equally respectable in said category.


*1 - The Beach Boys, though as solely as they were an American iconic/group opposed to the Beatles, they were in-step (and constantly pushing/competing with) The Beatles in experimentation with music, especially on the techinical side.  Their influence still is out there in that regard, just as The Beatles' is.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9


LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#53 RobL

RobL

  • Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:47 AM

So....where is the clearance sale for Jackson child molester jokes?



(Yeah, I'm an *a$$h*le troll.....deal with it.)

Bring back Darthsikle!


#54 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:05 AM

:glare: go be disgusting elsewhere, Rob.  it has no place here.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#55 RobL

RobL

  • Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

View PostCheile, on Jun 27 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

:glare: go be disgusting elsewhere, Rob.  it has no place here.

It has every place here, actually. He was a freak, and a child predator. And somehow, in all this hoopla, pretty much everyone seems to have forgotten that or otherwise is remaining silent. As my old man said, the only good molester is a dead molester. He can't victimize anyone else now.

Bring back Darthsikle!


#56 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

What I find truly amazing is this: Watching the news today, the ONLY thing running was Michael's death...They hardly even mentioned Farrah's death, but focused solely on a child molestor...The media kicked Farrah to the curb to focus solely on a man who molested children...Something about that is just so not right.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#57 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:59 AM

View PostRobL, on Jun 27 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

View PostCheile, on Jun 27 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

:glare: go be disgusting elsewhere, Rob.  it has no place here.

It has every place here, actually. He was a freak, and a child predator. And somehow, in all this hoopla, pretty much everyone seems to have forgotten that or otherwise is remaining silent. As my old man said, the only good molester is a dead molester. He can't victimize anyone else now.

actually no, it does NOT.

his behavior was VERY suspicious (is it smart to let kids sleep over at your house?  obviously not).

but the charges against him were NEVER PROVEN and the father of the kid was recorded as saying that he didn't care what the affect on his kid would be.  

i will quote one of our dept managers when this discussion came up today:  "if your kid was molested, would you take a year to report the molester??  NO, you would not!  you'd be screaming your head off that very day!"

so why don't you take your nastiness to your troll hangouts?  it doesn't belong on EI.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#58 RobL

RobL

  • Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

View PostCheile, on Jun 27 2009, 12:59 AM, said:

View PostRobL, on Jun 27 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

View PostCheile, on Jun 27 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

:glare: go be disgusting elsewhere, Rob.  it has no place here.

It has every place here, actually. He was a freak, and a child predator. And somehow, in all this hoopla, pretty much everyone seems to have forgotten that or otherwise is remaining silent. As my old man said, the only good molester is a dead molester. He can't victimize anyone else now.

actually no, it does NOT.

his behavior was VERY suspicious (is it smart to let kids sleep over at your house?  obviously not).

but the charges against him were NEVER PROVEN and the father of the kid was recorded as saying that he didn't care what the affect on his kid would be.  

i will quote one of our dept managers when this discussion came up today:  "if your kid was molested, would you take a year to report the molester??  NO, you would not!  you'd be screaming your head off that very day!"

so why don't you take your nastiness to your troll hangouts?  it doesn't belong on EI.

Um, yeah. In case you haven't noticed, justice in this country can be bought if you are rich enough. It took (3) trials to get OJ thrown into jail. (2) for Arlen Spector. Not to mention that people selected for juries in California are deeply stupid and are easily confused. I've personally seen it with my own eyes. So any argument of the type you are trying to make simply doesn't fly. Prosecutors don't bring up charges unless they have enough evidence to prove it. Just because they get out argued in front of the lowest common denominator of our society doesn't make him innocent.

As for the kid's dad - people do strange things for money. I wouldn't put it past some people to dangle their kids in front of him like bait for a quick buck. Would you or I do it? No, but, there are sick f*ckers out there who would. That doesn't negate the fact that he IS (er, was) a child predator and the world is better off without him.

Bring back Darthsikle!


#59 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:29 AM

so citizens who serve their country by serving on juries are all "deeply stupid", is that it?

let me guess--you've never bothered to do your duty to whatever state you live in, have you?

and unless you're psychic, you can't prove that your opinion is fact.

now here's an idea--why don't you be a mature adult and act your f-ing age??  mature adults don't speak ill of the dead.

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#60 RobL

RobL

  • Dead account
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

View PostCheile, on Jun 27 2009, 01:29 AM, said:

so citizens who serve their country by serving on juries are all "deeply stupid", is that it?

In general, yes.

Quote

let me guess--you've never bothered to do your duty to whatever state you live in, have you?

If called, I would, but there is absolutely *zero* chance of getting seated. I do my duty by filling out the survey. But in 10+ years I haven't been called and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Quote

and unless you're psychic, you can't prove that your opinion is fact.

No, but I have my personal experiences and observations which I base my opinion on. If you see the same thing happen again, and again, and again, then pretty much you can take it as fact.

Quote

now here's an idea--why don't you be a mature adult and act your f-ing age??  mature adults don't speak ill of the dead.

They do when the dead are child molesters.

Bring back Darthsikle!




Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Michael Jackson, Entertainer, 2009

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users