Here are the rules which should typically be appended to the new thread:
1. The current OTer of the Week chooses the next OTer of the week and starts a thread in their honor.
2. That person's week in the spotlight runs from Monday to Sunday, after which a new OTotW takes over.
3. To keep this interesting please choose someone with whom you typically disagree here on OT, and also someone you don't know well. We'd hate to see it get clubby.
4. Current OTotW should set about picking a successor within a few days in case the search for a new OTotW takes awhile. And also so that person can prepare and write a cute li'l bio like Specs did below.
5. Have fun, and LEARN about each other.
I'd like to thank Specs for being willing to be our first guinea pig. Let's hope this goes well.
But let's meet Spectacles!
My father died in 1993, and my mother moved up here and lived with me in the summer of 2002. In January 2003, she had a major stroke that left her right side severely weakened. The greatest accomplishment of my life was that I was able to keep her at home and keep her out of a nursing home since Mom feared being in one. Mom died in January 2006, but before she did, we really enjoyed each others company. Having her with me turned out to be a real gift.
I have one older brother, a retired rector of an Episcopalian Church in California, and I'm still very close to aunts and cousins in Alabama.
I'm a nonpracticing lesbian who lives with two cats--both strays who adopted me last year--and two parakeets, who have their own room, separate from the cats, of course. I have a little, two-story cape cod house that I bought in 2000 for the price that some people pay for their cars. It's humble but it's home.
That's pretty much my quiet little life. Oh, and I have a lousy spine and have to walk with a cane a good bit of the time these days--and I'm hoping for affordable health care so that I can retire early one day because it's getting harder and harder to teach full-time.
Thanks, Specs. I'll get the ball rolling. . . .
1. Why "Spectacles"? And why Carmen Miranda? (That is who that is, right?)
2. Were you on SlipstreamBBS? I don't recall.
3. What's your favorite work of literature to teach? What's your favorite book?
4. This being OT, I have to ask -- to what do you attribute your interest in politics? Was there any one thing? What do you think most shaped your current views?
5. Favorite thing about where you live?
6. How did you ever end up at Ex Isle?
That's a good start. Take 'er away, folks!
Edited by Drew, 07 July 2009 - 09:01 PM.